Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Reading Manual before ownership
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KronosSoundDesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Pre-Reading Manual before ownership Reply with quote

I am saving for a Kronos 88. I downloaded the 1.5 update which has the most recent manuals i think and was wondering if you all think it will benefit me to read them when I can't interact with the Kronos yet. My desire is to learn how to edit programs, and wavesequences, and Karma, and vector synthesis, in order to create really original authentic material. What part of the manual do you all recommend for that?
Casio HT-3000, Korg Wavestation, Roland Juno-D, Korg NS5R, Korg X-50, Korg Kontroller 49, Akai MPK 88, Korg M50, Korg Radias, Atmosphere, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, East West Studios various instruments, Roland Juno-Gi, Yamaha MOX8, Kronos 7.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly?

Looking at your list of kit, and Korg-specific experience (along with your other synths) I wouldn't bother tbh.

I was programming mine literally about 15 mins after I powered it up!! Laughing

It's quite easy to program.

I would use the manuals as reference - tbh, mine are still in the wrappings!! Everything I've needed to do has been either intuitive or with some brain-power, can be worked out.

Dan
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
KronosSoundDesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dan, you are right. I think if I do pre-read its gonna be to keep me occupied till i have this piece of gear. im very anxious.....lol.

Shocked
Casio HT-3000, Korg Wavestation, Roland Juno-D, Korg NS5R, Korg X-50, Korg Kontroller 49, Akai MPK 88, Korg M50, Korg Radias, Atmosphere, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, East West Studios various instruments, Roland Juno-Gi, Yamaha MOX8, Kronos 7.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said, it IS a good read, and nice to thumb through..... I had a copy in the bathroom for "reading material" Laughing
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
That said, it IS a good read, and nice to thumb through..... I had a copy in the bathroom for "reading material" Laughing

Reading the Kronos Manuals in your selected place of solitude is a sure way of producing "Hemorrhoids"! Laughing
All kidding aside, there no reason not to browse through the manuals, even watching some good Kronos video tutorials.
You will be a little more acquainted when it arrives..
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read in the other thread that you are a professional sound designer, so i think you can skip all the tutorial readings about the engines, the books only touch the surface of what's possibile and probably you know all those things already.

What i can recommend is reading the KARMA programming guides. It's difficult to master, and if you got the time now then definitely use that time to get familiar with the KARMA documentation.
Product Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: KRONOS VIDEO TUTORIAL Reply with quote

The Video Manual included on DVD 2 supplied with the Kronos is on YouTube. This will give you a good operational overview of the Kronos. Here are the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77zsCHO2Oc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjE3A4WChUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHwX-kOL0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHf1XqzBOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUga0pLLgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukwEWdbOHYE
korgvuer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrobinez wrote:
i've read in the other thread that you are a professional sound designer, so i think you can skip all the tutorial readings about the engines, the books only touch the surface of what's possibile and probably you know all those things already.

What i can recommend is reading the KARMA programming guides. It's difficult to master, and if you got the time now then definitely use that time to get familiar with the KARMA documentation.

I agree. Very certain you need to read up on KARMA, KSD.
KronosSoundDesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to all of you. I have watched each of those youtube tutorials too. Has anyone here purchased the sudosonic tutorial set for the Kronos.....wondering if its pretty good? Here is the link

http://www.sudosonic.com/servlet/the-49/Korg-Kronos/Detail
ParadoxMachine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although especially when you're an experienced Korg user the keyboard is very intuitive to operate, I found that by reading the manual I discovered a lot of 'hidden' functionalities I wouldn't have found otherwise. Simply because I wouldn't know they were there or assume they weren't, I wouldn't have tried some things I have.

I feel I know this thing pretty much inside out now, and that's partly due to scanning the parameter guide / operations guide for things I didn't know yet.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParadoxMachine wrote:
Although especially when you're an experienced Korg user the keyboard is very intuitive to operate, I found that by reading the manual I discovered a lot of 'hidden' functionalities I wouldn't have found otherwise. Simply because I wouldn't know they were there or assume they weren't, I wouldn't have tried some things I have.

I feel I know this thing pretty much inside out now, and that's partly due to scanning the parameter guide / operations guide for things I didn't know yet.

Also scanning through the Kronos online help system helps with some nice hidden features.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UI for Kronos is pretty similar to that one on M50 so you can skip those parts. Also, HD-1 has similarities with EDS. Finally, AL-1 has a similar workflow, compared with Radias. Maybe your best bet is to check how to program the rest of the synth engines, on the Parameters Guide.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:
The UI for Kronos is pretty similar to that one on M50 so you can skip those parts. Also, HD-1 has similarities with EDS. Finally, AL-1 has a similar workflow, compared with Radias. Maybe your best bet is to check how to program the rest of the synth engines, on the Parameters Guide.

Also you might check Karma (if you haven't used it as offline tool on the M50).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 1/2 way working through the House 101 KARMA video (available from KARMA-Labs) and I thoroughly recommend it. Even though the DVD tutorial is for the M3 there is enough similarity in the structure that it is easy to figure out what to do in the Kronos, even when some of the parameter names/values have changed - (like in the Time signature section)

I had already downloaded the KARMA Kronos software guide and had also read through the Kronos parameter guide KARMA section, however the manual and text guides just tell you what the parameters cover and what values they have, not how they work. I found the House 101 video not only showed me how KARMA works but also why the parameters do what they do.

The Kronos Parameter Guide also contains some pointers in programme creation/design - e.g. Page 341 'Synthesis with the MOD-7: a guided tour'

The KARMA-Lab Wiki section ( http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/ ) is a good place to explore (look under the KARMA 2 M3/Oasys sections or use the 'word cloud' to look up key words/concepts - there are some documents in these sections that contain details of how the KARMA values relate to midi parameters and musical terms (i.e. time signatures, various template tables, etc.)

Line 6 Flextone XL / Line 6 POD XT / Roland V Bass / Ampeg Portabass & Cab / Assorted Guitars (no whammy bar) ... and a Fender Champ ...
KronosSoundDesigns

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never got the Karma Software for the M50, but i bought the M50 video tutorials from sudosonic and they came with some karma video tutorials in case you had the software. wish i could share them here but they are copy written. thanks for the info on the House 101 karma video. and the wiki link.

BTW, has anyone here used the Kronos Karma Software? It give you 400 parameter not on the Kronos itself for editing the GE's. I am wodering if I get the software after i get my kronos, create with it, and want to share my creations, if others will have to have the Software to use my combi's?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: