Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll about Software Sequencers... :-) Which one and Why?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which soft sequencer do you use / prefer?
Sonar 3.0 (or any other version)
33%
 33%  [ 16 ]
Logic Audio
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Nuendo (any version)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Digital Performer
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Reason self Sequencer
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Cubase VST or SX
33%
 33%  [ 16 ]
Any other you can tell us. :-)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 48

Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Poll about Software Sequencers... :-) Which one and Why? Reply with quote

Hello, Gang

I had the (put here the adjetive you want) idea of posting a little poll, just to figure out which is the preferred software sequencer of the memebers of the IA family.

This way we can discover which one is most used over here, and then we´ll have some good elements to discuss; we can focus on points like "best things and weakness" of every package.
Maybe some of us could learn more about some packages we dont know well, from people who master them.
Its all about learn, folks . Very Happy

So, please, if you want, post your vote for the poll and then post a reply telling which is your vote and why. ("Why do you preffer that program over another one?", or "what is what you like most of the program you´re curretly using?", etc.)

Thanx in advance for your two cents. Wink

Last edited by Davidb on Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:51 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Me. Very Happy

I use Logic Audio.
I´ve tried others but, among other things I like, I can point that I like so much its notator editor, (I think its the best out there), and maybe, I think its the most intuitive soft seq I ever found, its easy to master, and so powerful in features.

What I dont like at all is its mixer, with can be as intuitive as it could some times.....

About other packages, I´ll tell you;
I have not seen the new version for Sonar yet. I´m loking forward to it!!!
And I like Cubase: superb and so many plug-ins, great graphics for all its elements, very good response for asio drivers, but I still think that Logic is more easy to work with,...at least for a chap like me.

Ok, I havent tried Reason´ one, which you all speak wonders in terms o power and easy of use.
I´d love to hear more about it....Smile

Regards,

Last edited by Davidb on Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:31 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!! Evil or Very Mad I can't see the very best software...SONAR!!!! Wink

I'm using Sonar from the begining, and I must say that is great.
I can't help you with a comparison with other softwares beacuse I've never tried one.
I think that the base dotation which comes with sonar is great (VSample, Lexicon Reverb, Sonitus Effects, and others).

Last but not least, Sonar has a great community on cakewalk website...
a lot of interesting discussions starts every minutes, and you must check for replies every minute because the day after you'll find dozen of posts answering to you question.

I think it's great!
Hope this helps.

Regards!

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason is wonderful, but it can only sequence itself - it does not output MIDI. I've heard that the Reason sequencer is a little on the "lite" side, featurewise - however, it can do everything I need it to do, so I'm alright with it.

I also have Tracktion (by Raw Material Software). I haven't used it a lot, but the interface is excellent, and from what I've heard - not experienced myself, mind you - is that it can do essentially everything the "big boys" (Logic, Sonar, etc.) can do. Don't know if that's literally true or not, but I have heard of a lot of people switching over.
cnegrad
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logic Audio. No time now to elaborate.

Our Jazz CD: The Deanna Jones Orchestra: "Very First Dance"
http://www.deannajones.com

Our Christian CD: Jacob's Journey: "A Feather In His Hand"
http://www.jacobsjourney.com
SLR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David Very Happy
I hope you are well.

I use Cubase SL2.0 - Why ?? Because I am new to PC sequencing and I got it bundled in a deal. It seemed like a good entry point for a newbie.

That's as technical as it gets for the time being my friend, until I learn how to use it properly. Embarassed
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital Performer for me. It's for Mac only. I just love it. It's a beautiful interface and great for linear composing and editing.

Cheers,
Sioux
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sean

Its very nice to read you, dear friend. Very Happy
How its all going for you and your wife? What about that WX5?

You know, Cubase is great, but I have a ..., lets say ... "peculiar" realtionship within this program. It has things I love, others that I hate. I dont like its Score functionality in any way. I have never been comfortable at all working with the Steinbergs.

Hello dear Sioux.

DP should be nice. I dont know a single word about it.
The only two ppl that I personally know that use it is you and Stephen Kay.
So it must be great. You are both musicians taht I do respect.. Wink

Last edited by Davidb on Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiotNrrd wrote:

I also have Tracktion (by Raw Material Software). I haven't used it a lot, but the interface is excellent, and from what I've heard - not experienced myself, mind you - is that it can do essentially everything the "big boys" (Logic, Sonar, etc.) can do.. .

Hello, RiotNrrd

A friend told me about this one, but I dont know very much about it.
I´ll sneak around to learn more.

Since Logic is more or less R.I.P. for Windows users, I want to see where to swich as an alternative, if I need to.

Regards.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on Mac / Studio Vision 4 for all my MIDI needs, but I've decided to go with Sonar next.

Why SV ? In terms of MIDI, it is as powerful as anything out there today, and still offers something no other sequencer has, 26 sequencing windows to do quick patterns by linking between workspaces. So it's just a matter of creating a sequence in Window A (unlimited tracks), then B, then C... up to Z, and entering A, B, C or A, C, B to hear the result. For me it's the perfect tool.

Secondly, I have Galaxy Plus universal editor/librarian, which combined with SV and an Opcode Studio 5LX enables me to select any individual program/voice from any bank on up to 15 synths/modules without entering controller data, and the selection is by program/voice name. It is still the perfect combination, although Logic is catching up, and so Cubase / Sonar using Midi Quest XT as a plugin.

Thirdly, I started using Vision in 1992 when it was version 1.3 or 1.4, and I guess I know it so well that retraining on something else is daunting when I think how quick I can do things with Vision, not to mention the amount of templates I have for it. In 1992 on the Mac, Cubase was not there, Logic was not there, and it was a straight fight between Vision and Performer on the Mac. Vision was more advanced at the time so the choice was easy. From version 3 onwards, Performer / Digital Performer offered probably as much, and even better for video / post prod duties. The choice would not have been easy to make in 1999.

So I guess I will never forgive Gibson for buying Opcode to simply shut them down, killing not only Vision and Galaxy but also refusing to release OMS as open source so the MIDI community could continue to develop it instead of starting from scratch in OS X, as well as a fantastic range of MIDI interfaces that really were the business. Shame on you Gibson !!!

Finally, I'm happy with my current setup where the Mac controls the synths/modules via MIDI, and the audio goes into the PC via the Creamware. I find this easier to work with rather than one machine doing MIDI control + audio recording at the same time. The need to upgrade my sequencer is purely fueled by the impossibility to run modern plugins and virtual instruments from SV.
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I use Sonar, I like my Hard Disc Multitracker a lot!
Very Happy
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:
I'm still on Mac / Studio Vision 4 for all my MIDI needs, but I've decided to go with Sonar next.

Hello Francois.

Yeah, I´ve forgot to put Vision in the list. Shame on me!

I´m a PC user so I dunno know so much about programs such DP or Vision. (this one, Vision, were the favourite of S. Kay for years, as he told me once, he says it is the best he has used).

Mac still has the best (and most) options, no doubt.

BTW, Your set up sounds extremely interesting, my friend.

Sthepen

I know what you mean, dude.
Thats why I love TS and Trinity.
I can have a demo, complete with audio trcks, in just some minutes. More or less, Its like having a multitraker, limited, of course.
But for me, to work really really fast, these two are pure heaven.
Yeah!
Raj_Sangeet
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
I think Sonar 3.1 Producer's edition is pretty good. It gives to the ability to record at more than 16 bits. Vsampler is a good addition for sampling and read various sampling formats. Lexican reverb is pretty good, although I didn't like their presets as much but they can be customized and saved as users. Sonitus effects are nice to have and so are drum maps, arps etc. I think I will be using Sonar 3.1 for at least 3-5 years for now, no need for another upgrade Laughing . Well IMHO its the best thing around.
Raj
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sequoia for Audio only, and Nuendo for AV, besides Sonar missing in the poll, Samplitude 7.2 as well is a heck of a DAW!!!! Based on Sequoia, it shares the same supreme audio engine, multichannel recording and a unique and powerfull object oriented interface, Samplitude 7.2 is very stable in deed, and much cheaper than Seqouia which is somewhat targeted at mastering.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logic Pro ! Looks better, sounds better and works better IMHO

Daz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: