Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH3 Keybed Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
All I can tell you is that I'm a happy camper right now! My issue was purely hardware, and that was fixed. But it seems if hardware alone didn't cut it, they added a software fix to it. To me, this is impressive! They're out to make it work for you, no matter what it takes... and I have to give them a lot of credit for that.

PianoMan,

I'm glad you are happy with your Kronos now, but if what you are saying is correct, I don't think it would be a good thing at all. In fact, it would seem like a completely half assed solution. A solution should not require a software backup plan. This can't be right.
rob314159

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:

PianoMan,

I'm glad you are happy with your Kronos now, but if what you are saying is correct, I don't think it would be a good thing at all. In fact, it would seem like a completely half assed solution. A solution should not require a software backup plan. This can't be right.

It's really not all that uncommon. Software, barring things like weird memory goings on, is typically quite deterministic. Hardware can be finicky.

As an example, I'm researching electronic drum kits, and I'm looking at Roland for one. They mention for one of their snare pads, there may be inconsistent response. The first recommendation is to increase the software sensitivity setting, but if that doesn't improve things, then they'll replace the sensor.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob314159 wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

PianoMan,

It's really not all that uncommon. Software, barring things like weird memory goings on, is typically quite deterministic. Hardware can be finicky.

As an example, I'm researching electronic drum kits, and I'm looking at Roland for one. They mention for one of their snare pads, there may be inconsistent response. The first recommendation is to increase the software sensitivity setting, but if that doesn't improve things, then they'll replace the sensor.

I don't really see that as being similar to the current scenario. Roland is telling you that if the range of normal velocity adjustments don't work, your sensor is probably broken.

PianoMan is telling us that the new keyboard fix for the RH3 might not actually fix the issue and require some people to maintain a separate OS even when their keybeds have been replaced. I can't imagine Korg spent all this time creating a fix that doesn't actually fix the issue.

PMan, is it possible your tech misunderstood the software end of it? Perhaps the physical component change remedies the double strike but the new OS affects other parameters that might not be so noticeable?

Last edited by Bruce Lychee on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
rob314159 wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

PianoMan,

I don't really see that as being similar to the current scenario. Roland is telling you that if the range of normal velocity adjustments don't work, your sensor is probably broken.

PianoMan is telling us that the new keyboard fix for the RH3 might not actually fix the issue and require some people to maintain a separate OS even when their keybeds have been replaced. I can't imagine Korg spent all this time creating a fix that doesn't actually fix the issue.

Sheeesh.... my hardware fix works and yet, that's not good enough for some folks out there? What else are you looking for? Seems the ones complaining didn't have the "fix" done on their boards. Now if they did, and if the hardware fix worked for them, what else is there to "talk" about?
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:
rob314159 wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

PianoMan,

Sheeesh.... my hardware fix works and yet, that's not good enough for some folks out there? What else are you looking for? Seems the ones complaining didn't have the "fix" done on their boards. Now if they did, and if the hardware fix worked for them, what else is there to "talk" about?

You really want to make this a personal attack? I'm just trying to understand the conflicting information you have just provided regarding the OS, as it should be relevant to anyone who has the old RH3 or may wish to sell their Kronos at some point. If you are happy with your fix, that's great, but some people want to understand what they are ending up with and how it might affect Kronos owners generally.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
PianoManChuck wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:
rob314159 wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

PianoMan,

You really want to make this a personal attack? I'm just trying to understand all the conflicting information you have provided, as it should be relevant to anyone who has the old RH3 or may wish to sell their Kronos at some point. If you are happy with your fix, that's great, but some people want to understand what they are ending up with and how it might affect Kronos owners generally.

This is not a personal attack... the fix worked! Why don't you get yours fixed and see how it works for you? So far, I haven't seen one person with the fix complain that it didn't work... there may be different forms of "fixes" but in each case, the keybed is replaced. So far, the only folks I've seen complaining are those who have NOT had the fix. What does that tell you?
Should be quite obvious: those with the "fix" are happy, those who have not attempted to take their unit in are complaining yet have not done anything about it. Isn't the bottom line to have a board back from service that works? That's all I wanted, and that's exactly what I got. I really don't care if it was a hardware fix, or a software fix, or a combination of both! The fact that it now works without flaw is all that I wanted... and that's exactly what I got. So just what else are you looking for?
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try to keep this topic true to my original post.

The intent of this topic is for PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD THE REPAIR DONE to post information about the repair.

I would suggest all of the discussion could be made in the main RH3 thread.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:
PianoManChuck wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:
rob314159 wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

PianoMan,

You really want to make this a personal attack? I'm just trying to understand all the conflicting information you have provided, as it should be relevant to anyone who has the old RH3 or may wish to sell their Kronos at some point. If you are happy with your fix, that's great, but some people want to understand what they are ending up with and how it might affect Kronos owners generally.

This is not a personal attack... the fix worked! Why don't you get yours fixed and see how it works for you? So far, I haven't seen one person with the fix complain that it didn't work... there may be different forms of "fixes" but in each case, the keybed is replaced. So far, the only folks I've seen complaining are those who have NOT had the fix. What does that tell you?
Should be quite obvious: those with the "fix" are happy, those who have not attempted to take their unit in are complaining yet have not done anything about it. Isn't the bottom line to have a board back from service that works? That's all I wanted, and that's exactly what I got. I really don't care if it was a hardware fix, or a software fix, or a combination of both! The fact that it now works without flaw is all that I wanted... and that's exactly what I got. So just what else are you looking for?

Complaining? I'm not complaining. I'm trying to figure out what the fix entails because you reported something that contradicts all reports thus far.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Sheeeeh..." lol, that was funny.

I think Bruce mentioned in some thread that he worked as a Lawyer, he has a very forensic approach to investigating something that doesnt make sense, i must say i agree with him on this issue. However, lets move on and do as Martin says.

I have been informed the new keybeds will arrive in Australia in a few weeks, I will report when i get mine fixed and ram upgrade.

Hey chuck go make another video for us with this new keybed Smile

Regards
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from Martin's post. This thread is for people who have had the keyboard fix. If you haven't had the fix then please continue to post in the other RH3 thread. Any further off topic posts will just be deleted as I don't want this thread to turn in to another off topic rant about the Kronos.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the fix done, so this is the last time I'm going to post about the OS 1.5.2 update being needed or not. It seems OS 1.5.2 opens up a service tab that only service techs can get to. Within that tab, the keybed action can be changed back to the old "feel" if preferred. I actually like the new feel much, much better. Those with the fix have also said the same. I will not respond to any other OS update posts on this, or any other thread as I am not a tech person, just a musician.
Fred S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the hardware fix without the need for the software update sounds to me like the best scenario...and with better feel and and spacing!! Congrats Chuck. Almost makes me wish I had the problem Smile.
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos RH3 Keybed Fix Thread Reply with quote

In the words of Zelda Rubinstein from the movie Poltergeist:

"This Kronos is clean now"

Finally! All the demons were exorcised completely!

My Kronos came back from the shop and I took it immediately out of the box. Noticed the new RH3 made in Japan sticker. Before I had only RH3-written on it. The key spacing is much more consistent than before. So it is finally a pleasure to look at. I just couldn't help thinking to myself "see? they CAN build it better if they just want to!"

Then I placed it on my table and turned the power on. It purred soft like a kitten. My tech guy exchanged the original fan with a Noiseblocker Blacksilent fan, and I'm loving it. Still not noiseless, but absolutely torelable when compared to the previous one. So my Kronos started with the 1.5.2 OS-text on screen . And when the booting was over, it was time to give the keybed a good workout. Played for starters the Moonlight sonata. This song gave me lots of cut off notes before. And now, none. I even gave it a stress test, pleying very very softly, in ways that ALWAYS gave me some cut offs with my old keybed. Now, NOTHING! Couldn't be happier!!!

What comes to the feel of the keyboard, I really can't tell a differecen. But this might be because I had the Kronos only for 3 weeks before sending it to the shop, and it's been lying on the table for 2 months. So I kinda lost my feel for the original keybed I suppose. But it's a good keybed. I can imagine pleying it in piano songs as well as synth stuff very easily.

Oh, and I also got the extra memory installed as well. So it's time to load all those "hidden" instruments from the SSD! Smile

And here's some answers for the end:

1. When and where you had the repair performed

24th january was the date, the new keybed was installed.

2. Which model (73 or 88 )

2. Any information you were told about the specific repair made

The whole keybed was exchanged for a new design. My tech told me, that this design should work much better. Some flimsy rubber parts were exchanged for more consistent ones. The aligments were of higher quality as well.

3. The results -- did the fix work?

It really works! Perfect!

4. Serial Number (optional)[/color][/b]

billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Kim, glad you're happy.

What we havnt spoke about are those cardboard spacings that came originally with our Kronos seperating the keys from the front metal bar. Are these cardboards still needed witht he new keybed when transporting? Anybody know?

Regards
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
DrPopper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
So there is both a keybed replacement and an update to version 1.5.2 for the new keybed...is this right?

I need to know pls because i phoned my distirbutor here and he said that they were going to adjust the existing keybed and that should solve the problem, no make mention of a new keybed and no make mention of a software update. Just an adjustment or movement of the existing keybed.

Sorry to come in, i know Martin only asked for those who have had the fix.
However, i will report once i get mine fixed - its going in next week.
Regards
Billy

That's very interesting because Music link (the Australian Korg distributor) have denied knowing anything about "the fix" as recently as last Friday. In fact their representative went as far as denying the "issue" had even been acknowledged by Korg at all. I'd suggest they are not applying any fix to your board and are simply trying to weasel out of their responsibilities. I do know that there are no revised keyboards in the country to fit to any Kronos boards.
I would be VERY careful and get everything in writing from your dealings with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 3 of 34

Jump to: