Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH3 Keybed Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abplanalp

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos RH3 Keybed Fix Thread Reply with quote

I bought a KRONOS 73 last November via mail order from an authorized dealer in New York. The unit immediately started exhibiting the bouncy key/cutoff notes problem. I exchanged it for another unit, but the replacement the dealer sent also had the problem. Both units have serial numbers in the 20xx range.

I left the second unit at an authorized repair center. Eight weeks later they notified me that they'd replaced the key contacts. I picked up the unit and took it home.

Almost immediately after setting it up and starting to play I noticed that it was still cutting off notes. I recorded a MIDI sequence to confirm the double hits.

Now I'm starting to get nervous that my KRONOS will be one of the units that requires 3, 4 or even 5 repairs before it's sort of right. I love the KRONOS so much that I'll probably gut it out even if that's the case.

Before I take my unit back to the repair center I'm attempting to contact Rich Formidoni at Korg for help. Rich was kind enough to demo the KRONOS for me when I ran into him at Sweetwater. My fingers are crossed that Rich can connect me with someone at Korg who can expedite the repair process so I don't have to be without my KRONOS for several more months.
summers2

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want a new board. I wouldn't have kept the first one. To buy a new board at what the Kronos costs and immediately have to send it in for an eight week repair, and then have it doing the same thing when it is returned to you is beyond unreasonable. Especially since the problems with the Kronos are well documented, and certainly known by Korg.

They should take those lemons back without exchanging a word and at the least, replace them with a proper unit. At best, offer a choice of refund or exchange/repair.
abplanalp

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos RH3 Keybed Fix Thread Reply with quote

abplanalp wrote:
I bought a KRONOS 73 last November via mail order from an authorized dealer in New York. The unit immediately started exhibiting the bouncy key/cutoff notes problem. I exchanged it for another unit, but the replacement the dealer sent also had the problem. Both units have serial numbers in the 20xx range.

I left the second unit at an authorized repair center. Eight weeks later they notified me that they'd replaced the key contacts. I picked up the unit and took it home.

Almost immediately after setting it up and starting to play I noticed that it was still cutting off notes. I recorded a MIDI sequence to confirm the double hits.

Now I'm starting to get nervous that my KRONOS will be one of the units that requires 3, 4 or even 5 repairs before it's sort of right. I love the KRONOS so much that I'll probably gut it out even if that's the case.

Before I take my unit back to the repair center I'm attempting to contact Rich Formidoni at Korg for help. Rich was kind enough to demo the KRONOS for me when I ran into him at Sweetwater. My fingers are crossed that Rich can connect me with someone at Korg who can expedite the repair process so I don't have to be without my KRONOS for several more months.

UPDATE: Rich Formidoni responded to my request for help. He's sympathetic, but ultimately unable to help directly, so it's back to the service center. I'll post again once I know what's going on.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

summers2 wrote:
I'd want a new board. I wouldn't have kept the first one. To buy a new board at what the Kronos costs and immediately have to send it in for an eight week repair, and then have it doing the same thing when it is returned to you is beyond unreasonable. Especially since the problems with the Kronos are well documented, and certainly known by Korg.

They should take those lemons back without exchanging a word and at the least, replace them with a proper unit. At best, offer a choice of refund or exchange/repair.

Agreed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Cause of retriggering / note cutoff? Reply with quote

Thu Jul 18 - Is the cause of the RH3 note cutoff / retriggering problem the hammer bouncing off the pad at the top of its travel, and bouncing back against the key (which is being pushed down by the finger) hard enough to operate the contact switches again? This might explain why a change to the rubber key contact, maybe to a stiffer (blue) rubber that wouldn't react so fast, was the original fix. I have a 73 that has never had the problem, and its hammer pad is a sandwich of 3/16" felt against the chassis, 3/32" rubber, and a thin layer of felt that the hammer actually hits; while an 88 that has the problem has a solid rubber pad, about the same total thickness, again with the thin felt layer. The solid rubber pad has more "spring" than the rubber / felt pad.

Does anybody know which type of pad is used on the current X, or on replacement RH3 keybeds? Does anyone have any real information (personal experience, official info from Korg, or opinion from a trusted, competent technician) about this, or other possible causes of the retriggering? (Can we avoid uninformed speculation / Korg bashing / name calling on this thread, please?)

df

Sun Jul 21 - Correction: on the 88, the replacement keybed's hammer pad is the same thick felt/rubber/thin felt "sandwich" as the 73. It does seem a little "springier", though, and you can actually see a bit of bounce on the key top as the key is being depressed (more than on the 73)...investigation continues, more to follow...

Last edited by dfahrner on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
rickster1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to report my keybed fix to the Forum ... I have a 73, serial # 1993, and I drove it down to my closest service center in Brunswick GA (Sowing Seeds elec. repair), a 1 hr. 45 min. ride from Hilton Head, SC. My dealer, Portman's Music in Savannah, offered to take it and put it on a truck and deliver it, but that was only every Friday so I passed, figuring that I would save time by bringing it myself, and I did. Richard Milner, the tech there, did a great job replacing the pink contacts with blue ones (??) and installing new software. The problem is fixed, and I can finally enjoy playing piano with my Kronos. The Kronos was gone 8 days, from June 12 to June 20th, a reasonable time IMO. Wink
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickster1 wrote:
I wanted to report my keybed fix to the Forum ... I have a 73, serial # 1993, and I drove it down to my closest service center in Brunswick GA (Sowing Seeds elec. repair), a 1 hr. 45 min. ride from Hilton Head, SC. ... the tech there, did a great job replacing the pink contacts with blue ones (??)

Thanks for the input Rickster1.

So... It seems the blue contacts are still being used in the fix labours.
Just the opposed we heard recently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The theory from dfahrner is interesting and may well be along correct lines regarding "key bounce" or double trigering.
I think Korg rectified this quite quickly….but there are other problems that appear in the hammer keyboards,which has a lessor successful repair history.

I have been told via an official e-,mail from Korg UK(December 2012) that my K73,supplied from their own stock, has the later (current) "pink" rubber contacts fitted,which they replaced while adding the memory board prior to shipment.

They also confirmed that the original rubber contacts were pink,then were blue (for identification purposes) as the revised type used in the interim,then returned to pink again with latest batches.
The revised "Mk2" pink, are now the current ones fitted to all models,either as original equipment or replacement.

It may well be that other service centers still have stocks of the revised blue ones and are fitting them anyway,but probably it is simply just to use what they have left and are adequate for replacement.
(Revised Blue and Revised Pink have basically the same specification…..apparently).

I know dfahrner didn't ask for speculation on this topic,but I would like to add some more thoughts.

I am currently having keybed problems,regarding velocity and aftertouch function,which is pending a repair etc.
However,I am curious, that if replacing the rubber contacts will actually cure it…or not,as it already has the revised ones fitted…??
Can't help thinking that the problem could be with something else,somewhere along the keybed playing path.
Of course Korg has a deeper level of information available and probably will never divulge such,which means we shall never know the whole story etc….but,that should not be cause for any concern for anyone,as long as there is an effective "cure" available.

However,I do remain hopeful that when I get a repair done,all will be well again.
It's my own fault for the delay in getting things done.....a bit reluctant to let my K go away for a week or so.... Smile
degaffman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my "new" refurb Kronos 88 repaired twice for keybed issues. As received the K88 had both uneven velocity response and a bad cutoff/double trigger issue. I dropped it off at a local repair center (if you call an hour away local) and they replaced the contacts only, stating it was Korgs fix now for the double triggering. That corrected the velocity response issue but not the note cutoff/double triggering. I'm not sure if red or blue contacts were used.
Korg issued me a shipping label and repaired it themselves fairly quickly (a little over 2 weeks turnaround). They replaced the keybed this time but told me over phone they found no fault with the existing one, they replaced it as a good will measure. They recommended I try different velocity curves or playing style. I wasn't expecting the best after hearing that. But the Kronos now plays beautifully and all issues are resolved. But it took replacing both the contacts and the keybed to correct the issue. My K88 serial number is 002410R.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to learn that you got it sorted,degaffman.
You don't mention when this took place,so I imagine it must have been some time ago.
I think the cut off problem was sorted via "internal software calibration/modification" (my own description....) and the rubber contact replacement.
They did replace the keybed initially,for a few owners,before finding the alternative solution.

Rubber contact replacement hasn't always worked for some owners,this is why I have thoughts it may not be the whole answer,but as said,in my case,Korg UK may
be successful with my repair and how they accomplish it needs not be a concern.

Your serial number appears strange compared to others mentioned on this forum,I've not seen it before......I'm assuming the R means refurbished....??..
degaffman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the R is for refurbished. I couldn't justify spending $4K on a Kronos X so I went with the lower priced refurbished original Kronos. I figured a refurb might be the best way to go on the original Kronos - the factory has already addressed issues with it and it comes with a full 2 year warranty. I purchased it about 3 months ago - got the second repair complete about a month ago. I recently added 1GB ram and a 120GB SSD to it for ~$100 to make it equivalent to a Kronos X. Going that route ended up about $1700 less than purchasing a new Kronos X, although it came with it's share of headaches. But like I said before, everything's great now, I'm having a blast playing and learning it.

The first fix done on my Kronos was exactly what you stated - replaced contacts and internal software calibration. But it only partially solved my problem.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:
The theory from dfahrner is interesting and may well be along correct lines regarding "key bounce" or double trigering.
I think Korg rectified this quite quickly….but there are other problems that appear in the hammer keyboards,which has a lesser successful repair history.

True, for the life of me.

Quote:

I have been told via an official e-,mail from Korg UK(December 2012) that my K73,supplied from their own stock, has the later (current) "pink" rubber contacts fitted,which they replaced while adding the memory board prior to shipment.

They also confirmed that the original rubber contacts were pink,then were blue (for identification purposes) as the revised type used in the interim,then returned to pink again with latest batches.
The revised "Mk2" pink, are now the current ones fitted to all models,either as original equipment or replacement.

It may well be that other service centers still have stocks of the revised blue ones and are fitting them anyway,but probably it is simply just to use what they have left and are adequate for replacement.
(Revised Blue and Revised Pink have basically the same specification…..apparently).

Thanx for your input on this subject, Pedro.

And yeah.
As you perfectly explain, apparently.

Its all rather confusing, to say the least; specially if you come from various fix and you wanna know exactly what part its being used right now that works, and what is exactly the difference (if any, but it seems there has to be something different, because if not why this dance of colors?) between "Revised Blue" and "Revised Pink".
abplanalp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos RH3 Keybed Fix Thread Reply with quote

UPDATE: Finally got a call from the service center. If memory serves, they've had my KRONOS for about nine weeks. They spoke with Korg, who recommended they just clean the contacts and select a new velocity curve. I can't imagine this will fix the problem, but that remains to be seen once I drive the hour and a half to the center and pick up the board.

I've pretty much lost confidence in the KRONOS and Korg, and while waiting for the service center to examine it I discovered a lot of fine virtual instruments that provide nearly all of the functionality I was so excited about in the KRONOS. I'm no longer willing to suffer additional trips to the service center, so if this "repair" hasn't fixed the problem I'll be asking for a refund. So sad it has worked out this way.

abplanalp wrote:
abplanalp wrote:

UPDATE: Rich Formidoni responded to my request for help. He's sympathetic, but ultimately unable to help directly, so it's back to the service center. I'll post again once I know what's going on.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos RH3 Keybed Fix Thread Reply with quote

abplanalp wrote:
UPDATE: Finally got a call from the service center. If memory serves, they've had my KRONOS for about nine weeks.

Gosh, Rolling Eyes

So its still happening.

Quote:

I've pretty much lost confidence in the KRONOS and Korg, and while waiting for the service center to examine it I discovered a lot of fine virtual instruments that provide nearly all of the functionality I was so excited about in the KRONOS. I'm no longer willing to suffer additional trips to the service center, so if this "repair" hasn't fixed the problem I'll be asking for a refund.
So sad it has worked out this way.

A legit point of view, IMHO.

As we use to wish over the forums to everybody who was and still is affected by these recurrent keyboard issues, let me wish you good luck (or better luck this time) resolving all this situation, my friend.

Regards.
spottingjonah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I purchased a Kronos 88 (B Stock). Like others here I figured it would be the best route since it had already been back to Korg and thoroughly inspected.

I received it yesterday and never powered it up. Right out of the box three of the keys were slightly lower than the rest of the keys, and those three keys made a loud clicking noise when released (unlike any of the other keys). Boxed it up and shipped it back to a very understandable dealer.

I really wanted this to work out. I'm a huge Korg fan. I've owned many Korg boards over the years. I may still opt for the Kronos 61, but this is very disappointing. I really need a new 88 key workstation. The Kronos would be the perfect centerpiece to my home studio.

I know this isn't the right forum, but besides the dated Motif are there any other workstations out there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 32 of 34

Jump to: