Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH3 Keybed Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
philmagnotta wrote:
...I forgot to ask, Can Karma work with incoming MIDI from external source?

...I can't exactly say if you can dive deeply into Karma and control it via another midi keyboard. My guess is no, based on the depth of Karma programming.

KARMA can be controlled from external MIDI...I connect the KRONOS MIDI in and MIDI out (through a MIDI Solutions box for filtering, etc.) so that a KRONOS sequencer track (set to Ext) can control KARMA...then I don't always have to play ahead of the beat, I can use rootless chord voicings, etc...but this is definitely a topic for another thread...

df
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been reading trough the parameter guide. Yes, I did get that info regarding karma thank you.
As for powerful, flexible synthesis under one workstation device, its certainly the most featured off the shelf at this time.
As my original post stated and with further manual reading, on paper, this is one advanced unit but, my only reservations were/are, issues reported but, more importantly the often times reported issues of the effective fixes so, it seems more of a keybed issue rather than software, is this true? I asked this because sometimes, with different manufacturers, ad-copy and or features published are not always working well in their implementations or rather the effective results when using them. So, how do all of the many synth features actually work with all of the many modulations/features... zippering, other anomalies, bugs especially as pertaining to "it does this or that" but not really or not well?
Obviously, I could buy one and then see.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philmagnotta: My experience with the keybed issue is that it was a hardware problem, and if you get a KRONOS with the updated key contacts installed, or have the updated contacts installed in a KRONOS that has the problem, the keybed works correctly...there may have been some changes made in software to address the problem, too (?) but you should be running the latest OS on your KRONOS, regardless...

The KRONOS' "many synth features [do] actually work with all of the many modulations/features" as far as I can tell...when something doesn't work the way I think it should, it's because I've got some other parameter set up wrong...but again, this is a separate topic, this thread is supposed to be about the keybed problem...

df
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. I did get off topic. I'll ask about those questions at the proper location.
On topic...does it come down to basically that a new purchase is a 50/50 chance of unsatisfactory keybed performance and that an authorized repair/replacement is also 50/50?
I've been away from this forum for some time so, I'm trying to get a reasonable consensus about this.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's extremely unlikely that a new KRONOS would have the key cutoff problem...and you probably won't get a reasonable consensus in an online forum like this: a relatively small percentage of owners even participate, and those with a real or imagined problem, or anyone with an ax to grind, seem to participate the loudest...again, my experience has been that once the updated key contacts are installed (by you, by a repair center, or in the original or a replacement keybed) there's no key cutoff problem...other than that, whether or not the RH3 keybed is "unsatisfactory" is pretty subjective; I personally really like the feel and response of the RH3 keybed in the KRONOS...

df
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I shouldn't have said unsatisfactory as it was interpreted as preferences, point taken. I did mean the referred keybed issue.
df, your probably right about it being a small possibility.
I like the synth engines and the way that Korg has implemented the whole, especially refreshing to see an owners operation and parameter manual that is fairly well written!
Thanks again for your input
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
GregC wrote:
philmagnotta wrote:
...I forgot to ask, Can Karma work with incoming MIDI from external source?

...I can't exactly say if you can dive deeply into Karma and control it via another midi keyboard. My guess is no, based on the depth of Karma programming.

KARMA can be controlled from external MIDI...I connect the KRONOS MIDI in and MIDI out (through a MIDI Solutions box for filtering, etc.) so that a KRONOS sequencer track (set to Ext) can control KARMA...then I don't always have to play ahead of the beat, I can use rootless chord voicings, etc...but this is definitely a topic for another thread...

df

thats interesting. I am editing various Karma scenes within a combi. Within each of the 8 scenes, I am muting(on/off) them, changing the scene volume, changing the various patterns ( 800 of them ?), using different drum kits, etc. and thats only scratching the surface of Karma.

I didn't realize that another keyboard could transmit numerous midi messages efficiently, to achieve basic Karma scene edits and/or deeper changes.
semmi78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the current fix to replace the keybed contacts still requires to install 1.5.2 or was 1.5.2 only necessary when changing the complete keybed?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you run such an old version of the OS at all?
semmi78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to be sure if the keybed fix to replace the contacts also requires a software modification.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run the latest version anyway since it has significant improvements.
semmi78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course but my K88 was repaired recently. It had OS 2.1.1 when I brought it to the repair center. The contacts have been replaced to blue.

Just want to verify if the fix is hardware only (since 1.5.2 seem to have some sort of specific keybed setting for the repaircenters...).
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the 1.5.2 was an intermediate os patch for the first cut off re trigger problem.
This has been incorporated within subsequent os updates,so there's no need for concern regarding that part.
Any rubber key contact or a complete keyframe replacement will have a revised keyboard setting,done at the service centre,again no need for concern.

As for the effectiveness of such replacement can be down to luck,sometimes it will work for some,while it doesn't for others.
This luck also applies to replacement keyboards,even newer ones can have problems,but the x model seems to have a better history.
We don't really know the true percentage of these things and probably never will,but for those who do have ongoing problems it can be a real disappointment
in not having a fully functional,fault free instrument.

To date my own Kronos has had a total of 4 rubber key contacts fitted and am still having problems,which could indicate the cause is to be found elsewhere
on the instrument.
It's due to be returned for further investigation very soon and hopefully all the problems I'm having will be rectified.

Best Wishes.
DrGraypFroot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: RH3 Keybed noise issue Reply with quote

Hey peeps

Just wanted to ask if anyone who owns a Piano with the RH3-Keybed has ever faced/heard of the same issue and might know a solution.

I own a SV 1 88, bought it used, so probably it has no warranty on it anymore. I've never experienced the "cutoff"-issue myself (which I'm gladly relieved about), however I have another issue:

On one C Key I hear a fairly loud click noise when it raises up after being pressed down. I suppose this is an issue with the damper pad on the hammer of this key..

Has anyone had the same issue? I found some stuff in the internet about it, but only people asking for solutions and no solution at all, therefore I try it here..

Will replacing the damper on this key fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

A new forum member.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to find out is to open it up and examine the mechanism.
That is....if you feel confident with doing so.

It could be as you suggest,also could be due to a spring fouling somewhere.(only guesing ...).

Good Luck.

Have a look at this link as a guide.....it shows an RH3.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLHsE6SsAA7A&ei=noDGU6bFCa-h7Ab16oDIBw&usg=AFQjCNFHg3SxkJSdxWemg_k-_xwdmljGzw&bvm=bv.71126742,d.ZGU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
Page 34 of 34

Jump to: