Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Analog/Oberheim Sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Analog/Oberheim Sound Reply with quote

I have just bought "Becoming a Synthesizer Wizard" and Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook so I do acknowledge that I have very little programming abilty so I have what may be a silly question. Is it possible to recreate sounds similar to these or better with the kronos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeF0i2saxjc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZY9tJXxUtE&feature=relmfu

I dont necessarily mean the specific patches, just the general tone. Adjectives like wet, gooey and nasty come to mind. I havent heard any kronos demos that come close imho. Maybe because the product is still new there arent that many videos yet?
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer. YES.
Take the time and learn how to program analog synthesizers. Realize the difference between the 2 pole and 4 pole filter.

That first video is not true to a real Oberheim if you were to plug one in. There is no reverb on a real Oberheim and take that away and hear what you get.

2nd video. Exactly the same problem. The Oberheim OB-X does not sound like that without a lot of processing.
djcactus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry to chime in as im not a kronos owner(yet) but ive posted this a couple of other places as well.

Seeing as the kronos covers many many aspects of synthesis just about all of this will come in handy for you.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Hayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the basics of filter types, oscillators, evelopes etc. I just got the books so I could work through the fundamentals thoroughly. Djcactus, good look on that the link I'll get to those articles soon.

So far most of the synth demos I hear of the kronos are kind of cheesy. I know the oberheim has been processed, but the kronos has a bunch of effects on board and just haven't heard anything as ballsy as that four voice demo.

Anyone have an idea which VA engine (AL-1, MS20, or Polysix) would be the best jumping off point towards making sounds like that? I want to work exclusively with one engine over the next few months.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are listening to youtube videos and have never played a real analog like the OB-X.

The Kronos is every bit as big and if not bigger than the OB-X. How do I know? I have owned the OB-X for years along with many analog synthesizers. There's also the little matter of the OB-X being 8 note polyphony (depending on the cards you have).

I guess I would start with the Polysix, then the MS-20 then the AL-1. Save the MOD-7 for last. That one is a complex beast - unless you are an expert at FM. Although the Polysix is not the most powerful or meaty synthesizer, it is very friendly toward the beginner. I loved mine and it's nice to have a modern version of it.

One thing I don't think the Kronos can do is cycle between the modules like the Oberheim does. Because each module was probably out of tune with respect to the other, that added another dimension. You can do this with a JX-3p. Just open her up and make em all out of tune! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: