Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

German Grand vs Austrian Grand (listen to link first)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which sounds better to your ears?
German Grand
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
Austrian Grand
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Both sound the same
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Depends on the passage being played
44%
 44%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 43

PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: German Grand vs Austrian Grand (listen to link first) Reply with quote

Here you have it... a direct A/B comparison of a few passages played on the Kronos... first with the German Grand setting, then with the Austrian Grand setting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up9o0QXvRB4

Which sounds better to your ears?
DrpC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much PianoManChuck for taking out your time to post this and the video.

From my ears, they appear to sound the same in the video Shocked
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better or worse?
Wrong question from my view.

"Which one is better for which context?" seems more essential to me. And when I play the two here in my home studio, the difference between both is much more striking and obvious than can be heard in this video, though I don't know why.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar. To similar for me to put my hands in my pocket but I'm not really a pianist and there's plenty enough in the Kronos for me.

Good of you to post Chuck! Nice playing to !
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted German. Now to clarify it seems a tad bit darker, more masculine sounding. The Austrian sounds good also but to my ears it is almost to clear and a bit brighter and a bit harsher to my ears more of an assault on my ears then a beautiful caress. I can see where each would have its place and think it is a good to have both as an option. Now if you where playing dance hall music fast and fun I think I would have been more partial to the Austrian with a bit of tweaking to soften the higher overtones of each note just a bit. Did any of this make sense?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do these two sound in comparison to the pianos already in the Kronos?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German is already in the Kronos.
And the Austrian sits much better in most rock and jazz mixes than the Gemran grand, which in turn is great for solo piano, ballads, and calm jazz trio stuff or the like.

The sound and usefulness of both depends heavily on sonic context and playing style, and there is no way to evaluate them in any more general terms IMO.
CaptLego

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I can clearly hear differences. I'd like to hear a bit more on the higher notes for comparison. After listening to this, I voted "it depends". You've convinced me to buy the Austrian. I expect that final preference will depend both on the song being played as well as the context (solo vs small ensemble vs orchestra). The Austrian will definitely complement the sound palette of the built-in pianos. I'm anxious to get my hands on it to see how it feels and plays.

The Kronos pianos are what convinced me to go with the 88 in the first place. Adding the Austrian is going to be sweet! I just need to get the keybed repair done first.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is exactly how I was hearing it and also illustrates my preference for the German in the piece played. For some reason I thought these were both new sounds added to the Kronos, I misunderstood. Thanks Bertotti

You know with that hat pianomanchuck should play us some dance hall also! Laughing Wink
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Austrian sounds brighter and will probably work better at cutting through in a rock band. Very Happy
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested and confirmed.
With a loud band, the difference is much bigger than anyone could probably guess from demos and this video.
The Austrian grand just works well in loud and/or crowded context.
The German grand does not, though it has a great, warm sound alone or in slower or less crowded context (some of you probably remember the discussions we had how to get it right in the mix). The two together cover ~90% of the piano sounds I regularly want and need.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For solo and classical, I use the Kronos German Grand (with all "sound effects" off). But for Rock, I use L.Mays German Grand (which isn't as thick) and I copies all the effects from the Kronos German Grand.

How does the Austrian compare to the L.Mays piano?

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale, they are still different.

The Lyle Mays grand is one of my favorites, with it's own effects or with the normal Steinway effect setting. It has a warm body which works well if it gets enough space in the band or mix and it sounds melodic without being too heavy.

The Boesendorfer still is another animal altogether. It's like playing a guitar with the tube amp's "presence" knob turned up, and clearly defined plec play on the guitar. It doesn't sound as smooth and natural as the Steinway, and has more attack and less sustain, but I am really stunned how good - and how well recognizeable without turning the volume up too high - it sounds in fatter context, or when playing harder stuff generally. I didn't like the demo too much at first, but that changed fast after hearing it in mixes and loud context.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the limitations of the demo BTW? Works for only a certain amount of minutes or days or...

I haven't installed it yet.

Thanks,

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demo has a sound dropout every 2 or 3 seconds or so, and no other limits. The dropout frquency is a bit fast for my taste, and it is hard to get a good overall impression with the constant fading in and out. But else it is fantastic to have this demo mode for testing.

Remember though, that you can't get rid of the demo install for now (I guess this problem will be solved soon).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: