Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Output Distortion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philamelian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Output Distortion Reply with quote

I am experiencing a distortion when volume is at top level in Kronos 88 but there is still some distorted sounds when its at lower levels but not that much. This is quite handy for me to use the volume knob this way, in performance especially. Distortion is especially appearent in piano sounds and while playing in forte. I read there are some issues about piano samples. But only few people were mentioning about this. I have checked this with headphones pluged directly to Kronos and in different venues and in my studio all the same. Patches are not peaking as well, checked it. Quite annoying problem and effects my comfort of playing. I don't have any problem with my Roland fantom keyboard under same circumstances.

It is a very stupid issue with this 3000 pound device, I would consider such a device faulty. Is there anyone has a solution for this or who knows the what cause this?
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, how come all dissapointed first time posters have to refer to other gear by other manufacturers to "prove" their point?..

What's the name of that being in Scandinavian mythology?
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another topic, someone mentioned that the Set List EQ may be causing the distortion. I don't know if that's the case or not, but do check out page 671 of the Kronos Parameter Guide for how it all works.
philamelian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curvebender> I don't have an adoration to any of the brands sorry for misleading comment. I just put that as a result of my day long tests yesterday.

HardSync> I have tried this from the program mode as well. It shoudn't have anything to do with the setlist mode.
andreidelait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you experience this problem also with preload Programs or Combis?
philamelian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have this with factory programs as well.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philamelian wrote:
Curvebender> I don't have an adoration to any of the brands sorry for misleading comment. I just put that as a result of my day long tests yesterday

Fair enough Phil, sorry for being a bit harsh.

You caught me on a bad day! Wink
andreidelait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion you have to contact your Korg provider for service. Did you installed an additional RAM memory? Maybe this can be a problem. I don't know but isn't something normal to have distortion using headphones with the factory programs.

Good luck to find a solution.
philamelian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks andreidelait, that is in the plan. Unfortunately I will need to wait for it for a month at least as I am on tour now. Unfortunately we will be shooting DVD in one of the dates. This will cause a lot of headache to me.... Sad
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you experience the same phenomenon if you use the optical output? What if you record your performance to a WAV file (by pressing the sampling record button whilst playing) and then playing the resulting WAV file back on another device?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one more thing to check then before calling Korg's service dept. Check the "Internal Headroom" parameter in Global Mode - Basic. (pg 756 of the parameter guide.)
philamelian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internal headroom is at 48. It should be ok I think. I have also updated to the OS 1.5 with a possible hope to solve it but didn't work.
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philamelian wrote:
Internal headroom is at 48. It should be ok I think. I have also updated to the OS 1.5 with a possible hope to solve it but didn't work.

If you read the manual, it will tell you that you are most susceptible to distortion with the 48 dB setting. You should lower it to prevent distortion.
philamelian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked the online manual several times, maybe I keep overlooking but couldn't find what you mentioned. Can you please send me the the page number and link of the manual you are looking.

I remember I checked with the standard headroom setting before but recheck it again though. If this is the issue still it's a bit weird because this device comes with +48db as default.
Product Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: PARAMETER GUIDE Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
OK, one more thing to check then before calling Korg's service dept. Check the "Internal Headroom" parameter in Global Mode - Basic. (pg 756 of the parameter guide.)

This answer was posted over a week ago. The section on Internal Headroom is in the Parameter Guide, not the Operator's Manual. It starts on the bottom right corner of page 756 and continues on page 757. Reduce the setting to a lower value to increase the D/A overload margin.

http://korg.com/ReadMoreSupport.aspx?dld=4707
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: