Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HUGE MIDI Issue in Cubase 5! Please...help me...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triggerfly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: HUGE MIDI Issue in Cubase 5! Please...help me... Reply with quote

Thank you for reading this post if you are. I kid you not I have been at a computer for 25 of the last 32 hours looking for some solution to this issue. I have a MIDI class in school and I'll need this set up to do homework assignments with my own gear Crying or Very sad

I have installed Cubase 5 on Windows 7. Know matter what I try I can't get Cubase to find my Korg Microsampler in the MIDI ports list of the device setup. All I need are the keys on the keyboard to send MIDI data into the DAW. But know matter what I try, I cannot get the keyboard to trigger the levels of the VST instruments or record data in a midi channel.

I have un-installed and reinstalled the latest usb driver over and over with the Microsampler not attached and from multiple USB ports. Yes, the Sampler software does work fine and the Korg driver utility recognizes a successful install. It just won't send MIDI data.

Here's the real kicker. I even ran MIDI to my MOTU Fastlane and toggled the Midi.Rout in the Global settings, switching between Usb+Midi ect over and over again, restarting ect. Cubase finally found the Midi in/out connections, "Fastlane: Port A" but still wouldn't receive the transmissions. I tried the learn functions under the "Generic Remote" Devices with Note-on/off, Quick controls. I set up the fastlane port in the "Input routing" of the dropdown in the MIDI channel settings with the right synth bank. Ug the virtual keyboards in cubase work, why won't the real keyboard on the Microsampler?!

Everyone seems really friendly and knowledgeable in the forum.. does anyone know why I can't get my Microsampler to send out MIDI transmissions or why Cubase won't detect KORG's USB MIDI in its device setup?

I feel like I've tried everything... I need to sleep. orz
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HUGE MIDI Issue in Cubase 5! Please...help me... Reply with quote

Triggerfly wrote:
Yes, the Sampler software does work fine and the Korg driver utility recognizes a successful install. It just won't send MIDI data.

How thoroughly did you test the Korg software in this situation? We're you able to send samples to and from the microSAMPLER using the software? If you are able to operate the software without any problems, then the issue is not with the microSAMPLER, it's with how you have things set up within Cubase and you'll have to go to one of their forums for help. Also, the microSAMPLER operates on USB MIDI, you don't need to have the MOTU Fastlane connected. Doing so could be adding more complications. All you need is a single USB cable.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
korakios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you can't use both the editor and cubase...only one instance...it sucks!
Triggerfly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I can transmit to and from the keyboard just fine. I haven't been working with the editor at the same time that I was testing Cubase. Also, I have tried it with and without the MOTU.

Has anyone else been able to get the Microsampler working as a straight keyboard controller for other DAW's?

Are there any settings or software or firmware issues with the Microsampler that would keep it from send a MIDI signal propperly? Also, if anybody has had it successfully work as a keyboard controller in Cubase or another DAW, how is the Microsamplers MIDI Port Listed in the Device set up?

I will check again with Cubase but they keep telling me to check the settings on the device...

Thanks for you help...
korakios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In WinXP it shows as:

USB:
microSAMPLER KBD/KNOB (Input)
microSAMPLER SOUND (Output)
Physical Midi:
microSAMPLER MIDI IN
microSAMPLER MIDI OUT

1.Have you used successfully used any other midi device in Cubase?

2.You could download Reaper
http://www.reaper.fm/download.php
It's a fully functional demo(and ~6mb!) so go to "Option->Preferences(Ctrl+P)->Audio->midi devices" and enable korg's in-out.
Create a track(Ctrl+T) , click on the input tab and select "microSAMPLER KBD/KNOB "
Arm the track and try to record any notes to see if it's working...

3.You could use the korg utility "Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device" and unistall the korg's usb drivers...

4.There was an issue on WinXP and I don't know if it exists on Win7.If you had a logitec camera there was a conflict with other midi devices...(true!)

There are some other possible issues but I need to know if you have any other gear installed or if you tweaked windowz for audio performance(pulled down any window's service etch...)
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Korg driver wasn't properly installed, the editor wouldn't work with the microSAMPLER, so the problem isn't there. I don't know how Cubase operates, but in Ableton it's as simple as chosing "create new MIDI track," then there's a small box within the track mixer to select any MIDI device plugged in to recieve data between. There's also a MIDI device option somewhere in the menus for setting things up futher, but this is an entirely different program. I have no experience with Cubase.

Two other things worth troubleshooting...

1. Is the MIDI track you created on the same MIDI channel as the microSAMPLER? The mS actually operates on two different MIDI channels, one for SAMPLE mode, the other for KEYBOARD mode.

2. Are you making sure the microSAMPLER is powered on before you load up Cubase? One issue I have with Windows is that it many programs won't read devices or controllers unless I have them plugged and powered on before I open the program I wish to use them with.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Triggerfly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right I have an update on the problem. It turns out that it is not being recognized by Windows as a MIDI controller at all. It won't show the Microsampler in the MIDI Port windows for any program I've tried and that includes:

Cubase 5
Ableton Live 8.1
Reaper

So the USB/MIDI driver normally works for installing the Microsampler in a way that allows it to be recognized in the MIDI Port areas of DAW device setup dialogues?

All my software will show is 'OUT Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth'

I checked the MIDI.ROUT in the global settings and configure the corresponding ports on the MIDI channels of the DAW to make sure.
Also, I only have Korg equipment installed..

My MicroSampler is even listed in the Device Manager of the control panel under the Sound/Audio section..

UG. Brick wall

I don't have a logitech camera... I would uninstall all of their drivers if my stuff wasn't wireless...

Why wouldn't windows recognize it as a MIDI device?
korakios

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which devices did the korg utility "Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device" show?could you upload a screenshot?

Try messing with "Configure KORG USB-MIDI Driver" and check the "Suppress device number in the port name of the first device"

Make sure windows don't use the MS as a default midi device

Also if you open the editor and check again that the editor works by transferring some samples make sure that when you close it ,the program indeed terminates(watch it on the task manager)

Since the editor works it can't be a usb port or cable malfunction...You mentioned you had MOTU Fastlane...is it recognized on cubase?if so can you connect the midi out of MS to mini In of MOTU Fastlane and record some notes?no need to trigger any synth just to make sure that MS doesn't have any problem...

BTW, do you have access to another computer to test it?
Triggerfly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! Thank you so much everyone for your help so far!

I have part of the puzzle sovled!! Of course, I feel dumb, but you have to run all utilities during the uninstallation of the Korg USB/MIDI Driver or it won't unassign the MIDI channel. In fact if you don't it will assign a new MIDI channel for each device plugged in after a reinstall. Process for uninstall looked like

- Execute "C:\Program Files\KORG\KORG USB-MIDI Driver\UnInstDrv.exe"
- Uninstall Korg USB Midi from there
- Uninstall drivers from Control Panel
- Install drivers again

- Execute "C:\Program Files\KORG\KORG USB-MIDI Driver\UnInstDrv.exe"
- Clic on "Options"
- Uncheck "Delete Korg USB Midi device only" and validate
- Check and uninstall all that you can from there
- Uninstall drivers from Control Panel
- Install drivers again

BUT BUT BUT

Now even though the Microkorg is recognized in the MIDI Ports in device set up and I get levels on the transport, Cubase does not record any MIDI data when I start recording and press the keys...

So I am still wondering if MIDI data is coming through...

Any ideas?
Triggerfly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIXED!~!!

ITS FIXED AND WORKS!! JOY YOY Applause

Thank you to everyone who posted in this thread! I am so happy!

It was the driver issue and inexperience... hahaha

MUCH THANKS I LEARNED SO MUCH IN THE PROCESS!!

Dancing
korakios

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you fixed it!Korg mentioned that "KorgUSB-MIDI_DRV_PC_1_13r6" is compatible now with 7/vista but maybe they are wrong!

Triggerfly wrote:
OK! Thank you so much everyone for your help so far!

I have part of the puzzle sovled!! Of course, I feel dumb, but you have to run all utilities during the uninstallation of the Korg USB/MIDI Driver or it won't unassign the MIDI channel. In fact if you don't it will assign a new MIDI channel for each device plugged in after a reinstall.

interesting...could you give some more details?
Jimmy3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: More Details please? Reply with quote

Hi Triggerfly

I faced a similar problem.... my Korg Pa500 was first detected as USB Audio and not as MIDI. Then I installed the latest 'KORG_UBS-MIDI_Driver_Win_v.1.13.zip" driver. And that seemed to solve the problem of detecting, i.e. I can assign each track to each channel of the keyboard (in Sonar). In Cubase the input and output are listed as Pa500 midi.

But any keystrokes on the keyboard are not identified (both in Sonar and Cubase). Am I missing something?

If you could furnish more detail about the remedy, that'ld immesnly help. Thanks.
Jimmy3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update... I finally managed to get the key-strokes from my keyboard being recorded at the right track of the sequencer in Sonar. The reason - I dont know Rolling Eyes

It just happened I restarted my machine and keyboard, the next time I connected it asked me again to install the driver (felt strange, as I already installed the driver earlier). But I clicked ok anyway, and got a message that the driver is installed. And the when I opened Sonar, this time I could record tracks.. yippeee!! Laughing

But the same isnt working in Cubase... there I could identify the tracks with the channel in the keyboard, but the keystrokes are not recorded Crying or Very sad

Now anyone who can help on this will receive my well wishes. Its more a Cubase thing rather than a general midi problem.
sts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to everyone!

My MS arrived yesterday and already have some doubts...Wink

When i edit some sample on the MS editor and play the sampler on the editor keyboard the sound doesnt change i just listen to edits if i play on the MS keyboard....its normal?

Cubase 5 and other Midi devices like Battery 3 doesnt recognize midi usb port like with Triggerfly...i think im gonna quit trying and im gona use the midi in/out port Crying or Very sad
electrochrisso

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When i edit some sample on the MS editor and play the sampler on the editor keyboard the sound doesnt change i just listen to edits if i play on the MS keyboard....its normal?

Each time you edit the sample, click on the Transmit button on the editor screen, it will flash red when you need to transmit.
You will have to keep on trying to get the midi driver to work, I used the version before the latest one, because I have not updated to service pack 1 on win 7, and works fine with Cubase5 and Reaper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: