Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demand for Computer-Based Sample Mapper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Demand for Computer-Based Sample Mapper Reply with quote

Hi!

One of the most time consuming aspects of sample creation on the KRONOS (and other Korg boards) for me is manually mapping large numbers of samples to different multi-samples. I use SampleRobot to automatically sample VSTs and hardware isntuments to wave files, but the process of then creating KSF/KMP files from these can be very time consuming.

Would anyone else have use for a simple utility for creating basic KMPs/KSFs from a bulk collection of WAV/AIFF files? I'm thinking a basic command-line/GUI application that can automatically map WAV files to a KMP based on filename or a text file. Such a utility would probably have limited auditioning capabilities due to the complexity of recreating the KRONOS' sampling capabilities.

So, any thoughts on such a beast? What features would you like to see, supported platforms etc?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
nowtime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am presuming the upcoming editor will have a very wonderful drag n drop utility for creating new drumkits and KMP/KSF's. Easy! Idea
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about that, Nowtime. Whilst it would be a lovely feature to have, I have a vague feeling that it's not something that will be included. Even if it was, dragging and dropping several hundred samples still doesn't sound like fun!

If SampleRobot and its ilk included native KMP export facilities, that would go a long way to fixing the issue.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a very quick way to do this on the KRONOS or any KORG.
You can map lots of samples to the right notes in second using nothing but the keyboard.

I will be in the studio later and I will record a quick video on my iPhone of how to do this.

Regards
Sharp
johnnydr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
You can map lots of samples to the right notes in second using nothing but the keyboard.

I will be in the studio later and I will record a quick video on my iPhone of how to do this.

Regards
Sharp

I'd like to see this too Surprised
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp

That would be wonderful Sharp. Any tricks you can share to speed-yp the process will be gratefully received.

I've been manually creating a new zone, then mapping a sample to it.

Overall, I like the sampler in both my KRONOS and my Triton, and find them quite fluid to work with.

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploading right now....
Should appear on my YouTube channel when it’s done uploading...

www.youtube.com/irishacts/

Regards
Sharp.
orangefunk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a desire to sample some of my Matrix 12 patches across into the Kronos. WHat is unique about the Matrix is that a voice can be panned to a specific position in the stereo field... so i.e. C E G could be C left, E centre and G Right and even different positions to those..

As this option is not on any other synth afaik (must be an Oberheim patent or something) sampling is the only way to get this into the Kronos. I would then have to sample every single note in stereo, find loop points etc..

I guess the samplerobot utility would work? BUt then how to get into Kronos?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video is up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDMg7UcVUBw&list=UU99WZk6txGfhhUEcE8XgKXQ&index=1&feature=plcp
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefunk wrote:
I have a desire to sample some of my Matrix 12 patches across into the Kronos. WHat is unique about the Matrix is that a voice can be panned to a specific position in the stereo field... so i.e. C E G could be C left, E centre and G Right and even different positions to those..

Panning on the Matrix/Xpander is per-voice, but if I understand correctly that doesn't correspond to specific notes on the keyboard (unless you were to restrict the voice's keyboard zone to a single key).

Most of the KRONOS engines also support per-voice panning. You can use the Random setting to pan each new note randomly, or for a little more stark distinction in position (and emulation of the fixed pan positions from the Matrix), try the following. I used the AL-1, but you could also do this in the MOD-7, MS-20EX, STR-1, or HD-1.

1. Choose an LFO to use for pan modulation. I'll use LFO 4 here. Set the LFO up as follows:
* Waveform: Random1 (S/H)
* Stop: On
* Offset: 0
2. Choose an AMS Mixer to use as well. I'll use AMS Mixer 2 here. Set it up as follows:
* Type: Quantize
* AMS A: LFO 4
* # Of Steps: 5
This means that, for each note, the output of AMS Mixer 2 will be randomly selected from one of 5 values. Thinking in terms of AMS, those values would be -100, -50, 0, +50, +100.
3. On the Amp/Pan page, set the Pan to center.
4. Set the Pan AMS source to AMS Mixer 2, and the AMS Amount to +99.

That's it. Each voice will now be randomly panned between Left, Center/Left, Center, Center/Right, and Right.

Another approach, for the HD-1, would be to use the AMS outputs of a Wave Sequence with Note-On Advance and Run turned Off (so that each new note plays the next single step in the sequence). That would allow a predetermined, repeating set of pan positions for different notes.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to post that video Sharp! I had some fun today looking through your videos Smile

The method you use is very similar to the method I've been using, with a crucial difference: your samples are in order! This makes it much easier to use the keypad to type the sample number, rather than using the dialog box. I think if I export my samples with ordered filenames, it will have a big impact on efficiently mapping them. A simple tip which makes a big difference!

Incidentally, I think when there's a really large number of samples to load, using the load command with no filename, and specifying "*.wav" will load all the wave files in the current directory, which is possibly quciker than using "Multiple Select".

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s really all down to planning.
The KRONOS uses 8.3 file naming, so if you bear that in mind when sampling, all your samples will be very organised for loading.

I also use this program to rename large batches of files automatically. It can add numbers and increase the values automatically too.

http://download.cnet.com/File-Renamer-Basic/3000-2248_4-11424673.html

Regards
Sharp.
orangefunk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
orangefunk wrote:

Panning on the Matrix/Xpander is per-voice, but if I understand correctly that doesn't correspond to specific notes on the keyboard (unless you were to restrict the voice's keyboard zone to a single key).

Most of the KRONOS engines also support per-voice panning. You can use the Random setting to pan each new note randomly, or for a little more stark distinction in position (and emulation of the fixed pan positions from the Matrix), try the following. I used the AL-1, but you could also do this in the MOD-7, MS-20EX, STR-1, or HD-1.

1. Choose an LFO to use for pan modulation. I'll use LFO 4 here. Set the LFO up as follows:
* Waveform: Random1 (S/H)
* Stop: On
* Offset: 0
2. Choose an AMS Mixer to use as well. I'll use AMS Mixer 2 here. Set it up as follows:
* Type: Quantize
* AMS A: LFO 4
* # Of Steps: 5
This means that, for each note, the output of AMS Mixer 2 will be randomly selected from one of 5 values. Thinking in terms of AMS, those values would be -100, -50, 0, +50, +100.
3. On the Amp/Pan page, set the Pan to center.
4. Set the Pan AMS source to AMS Mixer 2, and the AMS Amount to +99.

That's it. Each voice will now be randomly panned between Left, Center/Left, Center, Center/Right, and Right.

Another approach, for the HD-1, would be to use the AMS outputs of a Wave Sequence with Note-On Advance and Run turned Off (so that each new note plays the next single step in the sequence). That would allow a predetermined, repeating set of pan positions for different notes.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Thanks dan! Superb! One of the main reasons for keeping my 12 was that feature alone!
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange, FYI the Studio Electronic Omega 8 can do that as well. Each voice is really a completely separate synth on a card.

Thanks Sharp for the tutorial.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
orangefunk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Busch, the Oberheim thing is probably a lef over from the SEM days when they were separate cards also. In the Matrix 12 its simply 2 Xpander boards.

In the menu you can set where in the stereo field you want each voice to appear. You don't have control over where notes go of course but I find the pan thing of the Oberheim to be so important to some of the songs I do. It would be wonderful to get a similar vibe happening in the Kronos because I just played with the sampled synth waveforms (called M12!!) and they sound damn good!

Not so clear on getting around the synth part of the Kronos yet though... would be nice to come across a tutorial from scratch... I did some over xmas on the PolyEvolver and now I think I know that synth pretty well..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: