Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal/External controller split in Sequencer mode
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Internal/External controller split in Sequencer mode Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time creating a split in sequencer mode, using the bottom half of the keyboard, controlling an external synth on track 16 (midi 16), and the upper half, controlling the internal sound of the kronos.
I can split the keyboard using keyboard zones. I set track 1 to INT midi channel 1 and set it to play the upper half of the Kronos keyboard using an internal Kronos patch. I set mixer channel 2 to to EXT2 63/004 (036) to trigger a Motif XF (midi 16). When I press locate, it correctly changes the voice of the Motif. But no sound comes out. Although I can hear the internal kronos patch on the upper half just fine. On the bottom half, NO sound. Only when I switch the current track selection to Midi Track 02, do I hear the Motif, but then ONLY the Motif. On my old Triton LE, I use to make splits all the time and had the current track set to track 1. When I split the keyboard and set external synth on track 16 (external device is set to 16 also) using EXT2, the keyboard of the LE would trigger both keyboards in the respective split zones. Is this not possible on the Kronos or am I missing a setting somewhere? I have 2 midi cables. Out to the in Kronos-> Motif XF, and vice versa, Out the in Motif XF->Kronos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to set the tracks you want to layer to same midi channel.

KRONOS will play on the currently selected Track and all other tracks set to the same midi channel.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried that. Still no notes are being sent out of the EXT2 channel when set to same midi channel (UNTIL I change the selected track to track 2). I tried setting the XF to midi channel 1. Then set track1 on the Kronos to midi channel 1 (INT), Track 2 to MIDI channel 1 (EXT2). Still when I have the selected track set to track 1 it plays the Kronos INT only. When I change the selected track to track 2, the Motif plays. Do I have a corrupt song or something? Shouldn't it play both keyboards when selected on track one, even when the midi info for the other external keyboard is on track 2, but set to MIDI channel 1 EXT or EXT2? Something aint right.

Dave
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, tried changing to selected track 2 and now both keyboards play at the same time. Keyboard zone splits are having no effect, unless I switch back to selected track1. But then external keyboard doesnt sound. On to something. But what? I dont know, lol.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was able to get this EXACT setup to work using COMBI mode, but not sequencer mode. I tried both setting track to to either midi channel 1 or midi channel 16 (changed external receive midi channel accordingly on external synth) The only difference is, track 1 Midi channel one is set to "INT 01G". Is that the issue? No 01G in sequencer mode? Just wondering why this setup works in sequencer mode on a Triton LE but not on the Kronos (in sequencer mode)
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to say this, but I think there's a bug in sequencer for external devices. Not sure how to explain that sometime it works, sometime it doesn't.

I called Korg support once, did every step again from an empty song slot over the phone, and it worked!

Erase (re-initialize) that song slot, or pick a new one, and try it again. I had setup my device to rec'd on ch 12, set track 12 to EXT on ch 12.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
I don't like to say this, but I think there's a bug in sequencer for external devices. Not sure how to explain that sometime it works, sometime it doesn't.

I called Korg support once, did every step again from an empty song slot over the phone, and it worked!

Erase (re-initialize) that song slot, or pick a new one, and try it again. I had setup my device to rec'd on ch 12, set track 12 to EXT on ch 12.

Ok, will try that. Maybe it was the way I was setting it up. Instead of starting from scratch, I would find a find a patch I liked for track 1 and then use Enter + record, to dump the sound and all the effect to track one, but hit stop so it didnt record. Then set the track back to play. Then manually setup track 2 for external keyboard. I'll try from scratch and see what happens WITHOUT using quick record setup.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about this.

But it usually works if you start be setting your external device. I have a similar setup but I recorded to audio (.wav) instead, and dump an audio track to sequencer to free up all midi channels.

In your case, I'm not entirely sure what could be the problm.

If you find a solution, let me know though.

Tx.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried with a new Song. Same result. Guess I will have to use combi mode. The reason I am using this set is to set up patches a on both keyboards for a song (for live use). I like to use sequencer mode so I have access to things like RPPR, but I guess I will have to use Combi for now. Also its what I'm used to. Can anyone else duplicate same results? (in sequencer mode)
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navydave wrote:
Tried with a new Song. Same result. Guess I will have to use combi mode. The reason I am using this set is to set up patches a on both keyboards for a song (for live use). I like to use sequencer mode so I have access to things like RPPR, but I guess I will have to use Combi for now. Also its what I'm used to. Can anyone else duplicate same results? (in sequencer mode)

I may be totally in the left field, but Karma has a huge incidence on how midi channels are handled. Just food for thought.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
Not sure about this.

But it usually works if you start be setting your external device. I have a similar setup but I recorded to audio (.wav) instead, and dump an audio track to sequencer to free up all midi channels.

In your case, I'm not entirely sure what could be the problm.

If you find a solution, let me know though.

Tx.

Ok, let me try the setting up track 2, EXT2 first and THEN track 1 INT.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
navydave wrote:

I may be totally in the left field, but Karma has a huge incidence on how midi channels are handled. Just food for thought.

Hmm, wonder if something is amiss in the Karma section? Karma is all new to me.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with Karma, I'm a newbie to all this. I find it a lot easier just record the recorded sequence to .wav, and later dump it into an audio channel.

Perhaps someone more knowledgable can help you.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I cant seem to make a split using the the kronos as the controller, controlling internal patchs and external patches at the same time in sequencer mode. Either it is a bug or a "feature". Or I don't know what I'm doing. Laughing Rolling Eyes
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navydave wrote:
Well, I cant seem to make a split using the the kronos as the controller, controlling internal patchs and external patches at the same time in sequencer mode. Either it is a bug or a "feature". Or I don't know what I'm doing. Laughing Rolling Eyes

You're also running a sequence aren't you? I'm curious because I have no trouble doing it in song mode. But I'm not running any sequence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: