Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal/External controller split in Sequencer mode
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
navydave wrote:
Well, I cant seem to make a split using the the kronos as the controller, controlling internal patchs and external patches at the same time in sequencer mode. Either it is a bug or a "feature". Or I don't know what I'm doing. Laughing Rolling Eyes

You're also running a sequence aren't you? I'm curious because I have no trouble doing it in song mode. But I'm not running any sequence.

Nope. not running any sequence. Just using it as a setup/controller. Another thing I tried was to set track 1 to just EX2 only and everythign else set to OFF and mute on every other track. I went into Keyboard zones and set track 1 to play the range (Bottom Key C2 to Top Key B2). Theoretically, I should only be able to play one octave at the bottom of the keyboard and all the rest of the keys should be silent. It plays the entire range of the keyboard so the keyboard zone doesnt seem to have any effect.

* edit - Ok, for an experiment, I tried turning the Karma button ON. NOW it plays in the bottom range only, but some unwanted Karma ARP is going. I tried setting my track2 to the internal patch from before and IT plays, but Karma is playing an effect. Something must be tied to the Karma settings somehow that is screwing me up. How do I NOT involve karma and setup using this as a split, is the question I guess. Looks like I'm stumbling onto something. Still not there yet.

Last edited by navydave on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange, I have no problem making it work.

Did you try EXT instead of EXT2? Try changing only prgrm.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
That's strange, I have no problem making it work.

Did you try EXT instead of EXT2? Try changing only prgrm.

I did try both of those previously but it looks like Karma is messing me up somehow.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ok. If you're running a recorded midi sequence, I can't help you. Sorry.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:

I'm NOT, thats the thing. I can only get the split to function (like it was doing when I tried it on COMBI mode), with KARMA button ON, which is NOT what I want. Was just an experiment. When I turn KARMA button back OFF, the keyboard split ISN'T working. Wierd.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navydave wrote:
Dniss wrote:

I'm NOT, thats the thing. I can only get the split to function (like it was doing when I tried it on COMBI mode), with KARMA button ON, which is NOT what I want. Was just an experiment. When I turn KARMA button back OFF, the keyboard split ISN'T working. Wierd.

Ok, on a side note, turning on or off the button is not what will affect karma in the sequencer for your purpose.

May I ask your complete setting, like what ch is the external synth on?
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*UPDATE!* When I tried turning KARMA back OFF, like it was before, and change my "selected track" to Track2, NOW it seems to work correctly. I tried your suggention of putting the EXT2 midi channel (midi channel1) on Track 1 and Track 2 to Midi channel 1 INT, the split now works. I dont get it. On the Triton Le, I can have the selected track set to track one, that track has been set to INT Midi channel 1, then another track is set to EXT2 midi channel 16 and it plays the External synth at the same time using a split.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
navydave wrote:
Dniss wrote:

Ok, on a side note, turning on or off the button is not what will affect karma in the sequencer for your purpose.

May I ask your complete setting, like what ch is the external synth on?

See my response above. But when I reverse the track Track 1 INT and Track2 EXT2 it doesnt seem to work correctly.

Last edited by navydave on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

-Set you other synth to receive on ch 12
-Select a brand new song patch (important)
-Set track 12 to EXT on ch 12
-Set track 1 midi ch 2 (but not general midi like 1g)

see if it works.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
Try this:

see if it works.

Tried that. After the above settings, If I set "selected track" to track 1, the INT sound plays (from MIDI 2). If I set "selected track" to track 2, the INT sound plays (from MIDI 2). Nothing from Channel 12. If I change the "selected track" to track 12, THEN the external keyboard plays on MIDI 12, but not the internal sound.

Oh ya, I do have track 2 set to OFF. Both Track1 and Track 2 are set to MIDI 02 but track 2 of OFF.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navydave wrote:
Dniss wrote:
Try this:

see if it works.

Tried that. After the above settings, If I set "selected track" to track 1, the INT sound plays (from MIDI 2). If I set "selected track" to track 2, the INT sound plays (from MIDI 2). Nothing from Channel 12. If I change the "selected track" to track 12, THEN the external keyboard plays on MIDI 12, but not the internal sound.

OK, I don't play with "selected track" at the top, ever.

Sequencer sends on all midi channels specified by the midi channel on each track.

Once I get a track (other than track 1 that I keep for my internal Kronos voice) to play my remote device, usually just playing with track 1 midi channel makes both sound at the same time.

But going back and forth changing midi channels once your remote device works will end up making that song patch "corrupt". It will never work again.

That's why I'm saying I think it's buggy.

Keep trying, I know it works, I'm doing it all the time. But use a remote track for your external module, not track 1.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The points I'm trying to make are the following:

-If you set up the events in the wrong order, it will not work and that song patch will sorta be corrupt and it will never work. You have to set up your remote device first on a remote track (other than the first).

-Once it works, if you go around playing with midi channels, even if you come back to your origninal setting, it will not work again. It sorta becomes corrupt.

In both instances, you have to select a brand new Init song patch and restart from scatch.

I know, it weird, but that is the only way I got it to work!
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I gave some INCORRECT info about the triton le. I just tried making a new split/layer on that, and its working the same. Which means its NOT working. I only got it to work before by triggering an RPPR on EXT2 midi channel 16 and using a split before. So apparently I dont know what I'm doing. It works if I use RPPR (on the Triton Le). AND it works if I set EXT2 to track 1 FIRST (MIDI CH1), then track 2 INT to (MIDI CH1), but not the other way around (on the Triton LE). I'll try your suggestion on the Kronos again.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd surely loves to know why though!

There seems to be a cascade of events depending on what comes first, and we're prevented to go back. I don't understand the logic behind it.
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think i Kind of have it working. I set it up a little different. Track 1 set to EXT2 (Midi 16); Track 2 set to INT (Midi 16).

Then I went into Keyboard zones and set Track one to (C2 to B2), and Track 2 to (C3 to G9).

When I play it on "Selected track 1". The Keyboard zone split applies itself to the internal patch, but doesnt apply itself to the EXternal track.

So what happens, when I play from the bottom of the keyboard (from C2 to B2), the External synth sounds. Then from C3 on up, BOTH internal and external synths play. I duplicate this on the Triton le so its a sequencer thing.

(Just for an experiment, I changed the "selected track" to Track 2 to see what would happen. No sound from the External synth at all, and no sound at all from (C2 to B2). Just the internal synth from C3 on up.)
So it looks like for what I want to do, I will have to use Combi mode.

My original intent was to setup my keyboards for the song , Separate ways, by Journey. I wanted to use a patch on the Kronos for the main part, and then later in the song, theres this high whistle sound that I wanted to play with the external keyboard. The problem was, I wanted to transpose the top keyboard up 3x so the part was easier to play at the same time on lower keys of the other board. I could only change the patch and not the octave using EXT2 program change on channel 2 in sequencer mode. The transpose is not transmitted via midi. So thats why I was THEN trying to play that part using a split of the bottom section of the Kronos because the Transpose would THEN work. But after all this experimentation, I know I can do it using a Combi and the order doesnt matter. Its gotta be a sequencer thing.

Thanks for all the help and suggestion Dniss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: