Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found Solution to the EMX-1 and ESX-1 Knob Jitter-Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen video of people jimmying them off with a flathead screwdriver, but you might wanna put some kind of cloth under it so you don't scratch the finish.
hazabikit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a fork.
Just make sure that you put something soft under the fork so you don't scratch the finish.
Marsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god... this really works! I'm happy as a clam or any other seacreature!

One thing I noticed tho, is that NOTHING STICKS TO BAKING PAPER. I used 5 different kinds of tape and then just thought 'f*ck it, as long as it even just keeps it kinda in place it'll do' .

No jittering at all ever since. This makes playing live waaaaay easier and more fun!

Thanks a thousand times!
whiteleech

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can just pull them off with your fingers Smile

http://www.youtube.com/user/gloomyelectronica
http://soundcloud.com/gloomyelectronica
cooptrol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, I found a similar solution while disassembling the ESX to fix this. In my case, I just tightened all the screws a lot more than the factory default. After this, the pressure on the buttons is not enough to bend the upper circuit board so it doesn't touch the other one. No more Jitter, and it's been fixed for months now (and I'm a heavy user).

All my odissey is in this thread:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64032&highlight=
StudioF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you. my emx is working like a charm again. awesome. this is a great solution. bakingpaper in my emx now Very Happy

<---- happy again.
AQQ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. I've also had a problem with random parameter changes, when using arpeggaitor, but in my case the problem wasn't with controller board short-circuit, but with the flat ribbon cable that connects control panel with main board, which was a bit loose.

If you open your Electribe, try to jiggle the cable where it is connected to the controller board (near the arpeggiator slider) and see if it causes parameter change. In my case, one of the plastic latches that holds this cable in place was broken, and everytime there was a movement near the arpeggiator area, the cable would move a bit, and made different wires from the ribbon to touch neighbour pins.

I've used small flat head screwdriver to gently push the ribbon in its place, and super glued the latch on top, so the cable wouldn't move anymore. And voila, works like a charm. Hope it helps some of you, that have similiar issues, but the insulation trick didn't work.
mikevegas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a used ESX (Smartmedia version), to tide me over, since I'm hoping Korg will release an updated Electribe sometime in the near future.

I don't think I'm getting jitter -- except the big knob, which does not seem to like it when I push down on it while turning it -- then it will jump to random numbers. If I lift up slightly, it seems okay.

The other knobs seem to be ok, but I haven't had much chance to monkey with them yet.

I had it running for a couple of hours today, didn't seem to have any problems. But I plan to use it live -- is it worth adding the insulation as a preventive?

On the other hand, some of the pads seem to be worn -- I have to press harder than I do on my other Electribes. Perhaps they need to be cleaned?

Also, this machine stinks. Literally -- last time I ever buy from a smoker!
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only do it if you noticerandom variables coming up on the screen when you're not tweaking them.

Nice tip AQQ2, and out of curiousity what's your name referring to?
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Dr Nibbert and also AQQ2. I opened up my baby and did the whole baking sheet thing but I also found that some of the screws securing the top circuit board were loose. Most importantly the one nearest the arpeggio ribbon. Tightened everything up. Plugged her back in and no more knob jitters!!! But I took the paper out again and still no jitters so it may have just been because the circuit was loose and flexing near the arp. Didn't take the front circuit off to check the ribbon cable but if the jitters return (I'll be testing her thoroughly) then I'll replace the paper and also check the ribbon cable.

Edit: I used toothpicks to wedge the knobs off while supporting the knob from the other side so as not to apply any lateral force on them. No risk of scratching the faceplate in the process.

KORG GEAR: EMX1-SM -- EMX1-SD -- KAOSS PAD3 -- MICROKORG -- KAOSSILATOR PRO -- NANOKONTROL1
OTHER GEAR: Roland SP404, MC303 -- Akai MPC-2500 SE -- Zoom R16 -- effects pedals -- DJ-gear -- Access Virus B
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stickied Cool

This problem has come up time and time again with seemingly no resolution. I'm sure many people will find this very useful.

I haven't had the problem with my ESX (yet) but it is something I have been worried about.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Stickied Cool

This problem has come up time and time again with seemingly no resolution. I'm sure many people will find this very useful.

+100

KORG GEAR: EMX1-SM -- EMX1-SD -- KAOSS PAD3 -- MICROKORG -- KAOSSILATOR PRO -- NANOKONTROL1
OTHER GEAR: Roland SP404, MC303 -- Akai MPC-2500 SE -- Zoom R16 -- effects pedals -- DJ-gear -- Access Virus B
easily_confused

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A different Fix for encoder skipping on the SX can be found here
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74154

Basically you need to disassemble the encoder and clean the silicon off the rotor.

Looking at the picture in a previous post above, you can see the gray metal housing of the encoder and 2 of the the 4 metal clamps you will need to bend back.
jameskdpis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Tools needed Reply with quote

Hi guys,

What tools did you need to open up the Electribe? Were regular screwdriwers / allen keys OK?

Thanks!
Dyaphonoyze

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Did this and still have problem but only with one knob.... Reply with quote

I followed this post exactly and still am having a problem with the LFO depth parameter.

It slams all the way to -63 automatically unless I am pushing down on it, there is about 1/16th inch of play. Feels gritty despite cleaning with oxicon fader lube, center stopping point is worn and no longer locks at 0.

I'm guessing I need to replace the knob entirely? Any help, can't take gigs and can't afford the shop.

It's completely useless live and is the epicenter of my live setup Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: