Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 & Volca Keys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corbytender

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Electribe 2 & Volca Keys Reply with quote

I spent the first few weeks with my Electribe 2 solo - that is, jamming without any other gear - with the intention of familiarizing myself with the workflow and sound engine. After I reached the point where my sessions with the E2 were becoming more productive, I decided to add some additional hardware to the mix. I wanted to start simple, so I dusted off the Volca Keys, set up an Audio In OSC on the E2, and started jamming over a few patterns I'd already programmed.

I was really impressed with the result. I've always been fond of the Volca Keys (who doesn't love the MS20 filter?) - but it's obviously limited on it's own. And while the E2 has really grown on me, the sound engine does have a harsh digital quality. I've began thinking of the Keys as an analog voice expansion for the E2, and the two boxes compliment each other quite beautifully. I'm also not losing any portability with the the Volca Keys, and the sync port is super convenient (I didn't bother with midi - I prefer to tweak the Keys using it's own interface.)

For anyone looking for an affordable way to expand the sound palette of the E2, I'd highly recommend giving the Volca Keys a shot.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already done this! It is absolutely fun!

You can put any external instrument through the E2's effects and filters but really the Volcas keys were the most fun to work with in this regard.

In channel 1 (pad 1) that would be the part that played the keys via midi from the E2 then in pads / parts 2, 3 and 4 I would set those to the same audio in but with different effects settings to get a more richer almost unison synth type of sound.

This is not a trick I plan to do often...in fact I just sold my Volca keys last night.

I agree if you have a volca keys or volca bass you have to hook this up into the audio in of your E2...I highly recommend using midi out from the E2 to midi in on the Volca. The Sync connection works but 5 pin din midi is where the fun is!
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Volca Keys user here, definitely a fun little combo!
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mad, mad sounds of the Electribe ER-1 mk2 into the Electribe 2's fx, coupled with some more vanilla sounds from the E2 is fun for me.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Corbytender

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In channel 1 (pad 1) that would be the part that played the keys via midi from the E2 then in pads / parts 2, 3 and 4 I would set those to the same audio in but with different effects settings to get a more richer almost unison synth type of sound.

I actually hadn't thought of the possibility of copying parts on the E2. I think It'd also be fun to copy the part controlling the keys to a different bank and assign an E2 noise oscillator to it... may have to break out the 5 pin!
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the two make an awesome combo. For me tho, I like to sync the keys to the e2 and then connect an external keyboard to the keys' midi in ( not a fan of those bite size ribbon strips at all!). I prefer playing the keys freehand and as a lead synth - like I did with this track:
https://www.soundcloud.com/rob-labs/a-cyborgs-lament
NickZoll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 I'm using e2 with volca keys too
circuitghost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Volca Sample in this way, sampling the Electribe drums and moving them to the Volca Sampler, letting it to the drum duties in favour of unleashing the amps and full polyphony of the Electribe.

I'm doing this through an Audio In oscillator, though, since all the good stuff that comes with it adds so much - insertfx, masterfx, amps and filters.

However, I'm not getting a stereo signal from the Volca Sample when I do this. If I use Audio Thru in Global Settings, I get one. But not if I use an Audio In oscillator. This seems to be an inherent limitation, though, there's nothing to be done about it as far as I know.
Corbytender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

circuitghost wrote:
I use the Volca Sample in this way, sampling the Electribe drums and moving them to the Volca Sampler, letting it to the drum duties in favour of unleashing the amps and full polyphony of the Electribe.

I'm doing this through an Audio In oscillator, though, since all the good stuff that comes with it adds so much - insertfx, masterfx, amps and filters.

However, I'm not getting a stereo signal from the Volca Sample when I do this. If I use Audio Thru in Global Settings, I get one. But not if I use an Audio In oscillator. This seems to be an inherent limitation, though, there's nothing to be done about it as far as I know.

I actually bought the Volca Sample and the Electribe 2 together with the intention of using it this way, but I've yet to try it out. I do love the lo-fi goodness of the Volca Sample. Really impressive dynamic range from the analog isolator.

I think the best thing about the whole Volca Range is that small tweaks really go a long way in shaping the sound character. It's a shame so many people write them off as toys.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Volca keys with my e2, but only in chord mode so can recreate the start of Human League's 'Open your Heart'. Detune those 3 oscillators and time travel back to the early 80s. Bliss.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
circuitghost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbytender wrote:
circuitghost wrote:

I actually bought the Volca Sample and the Electribe 2 together with the intention of using it this way, but I've yet to try it out. I do love the lo-fi goodness of the Volca Sample. Really impressive dynamic range from the analog isolator.

I think the best thing about the whole Volca Range is that small tweaks really go a long way in shaping the sound character. It's a shame so many people write them off as toys.

Their loss. The Volcas are anything but that. Especially the Volca Sample.

I'd like to see a Volca Station - cram them all into one box the size of one Volca, throw in some memory export there and some save options.

Ah, yes.
whormongr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually been using the MOPHO and a meeblip anode with the external osc + effects and it is pretty fun too - what I haven't gotten a chance to do yet though is to run the whole thing through the alesis bitrman and filtre post all of it
mihata

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the Keys I love the vibe with the E2, they are made for each other! I run it through audio in, still haven't tried the midi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: