Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can U Load sram without the PBS-TRI BOARD for extra banks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
f8andbthere

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Can U Load sram without the PBS-TRI BOARD for extra banks? Reply with quote

Here's the million dollar question, can you just install some sram chips in the Korg Trinity and get Banks C and D without the PBS-TRI board to get the extra banks?

Obviously, you won't have the PBS-TRI sample memory space, but extra banks would be huge.

The chips seem to be: NEC D431000ACZ-70L, which can be found here and there.

Anybody tried this?????

Thanks!
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that someone has already tried this. You'd better run a search on the forum. It might have been on some other forum (Yahoo? HC?), though.

I seem to remember that simply installing the chips did not yield extra banks (not even after system reset), but installing PBS and the chips obviously did. After which, removing the PBS did not affect extra banks (as long as waveforms were not referenced) until the next system reset. However, there were some freezing problems, as far as I can recall.

Your best bet is to do a search, as already suggested. I think it was also related to the SOLO or MOSS board, maybe that helps with your search.

EDIT: found the thread for you, here.
chefboyardee14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try this sometime this or next week. I was already making an order through Futurlec.com, so I decided to pick up some 1Mb ram chips to see if it would work. They were only $6 each, so I figured it was worth a try.

I'll report back with what I find as soon as the chips come in. It does seem like most people have NOT been able to use just the RAM without the PBS board, though.

With that said, if anyone has a PBS board without RAM chips that they want to sell cheap, I may be interested Smile
samriccijr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trinity (early serial number) would only recognize the SRAM chips when the PBS-TRI board was plugged in.

When I took my Trinity to gigs, the PBS-TRI board would come loose from the connector. My C D and S banks would disappear.

I had to unscrew the bottom plate and push the PBS board back into the connector. My patches would still be there.

I got some plastic stand-offs to hold the PBS board in place. Now the samples and patches are always there.

Best of luck, some users have posted that their patches remain after they remove teh PBS board.

Sam
f8andbthere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, reality sets in.

It sounds like if you install the flash rom chips and the PBS board and activate them, you an actually pull the board and you will still have the extra banks, as long as their patches don't link to samples loaded on to the board.

If you just have no chips, there is no way to make the chips active unless you can borrow the PBS board from someone temporarily.

NEW QUESTION: Seems like most boards out on the market these days DO NOT INCLUDE the PLASTIC standoffs. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN OR SOME OTHER SUBSTITUTE?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: