Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on an Audio Interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which audio interface should I get?
Tascam US100
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tascam US144 mk2
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Tascam US800
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Focusrite Saffire
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Advice on an Audio Interface Reply with quote

My gf recently bought me a Novation Launchpad. For me, this is the perfect entry into Ableton, because I abhor clicking away at DAWs with a mouse. Completely unmusical. The launchpad will definitely minimize this, and additionally, it fits my flavor of recording vis a vis "scenes".

Anyway, my macbook is a bit dated by now, not to mention I don't really have the HD space, so unfortunately for now I must use Ableton on my Acer laptop. That means I now require a decent audio interface since my acer doesn't have a line-in, just a noisy mic input.

For now, I'm going to buy one of those cheap 16-bit Behringer U-Control interfaces. It will be fine for now, but I'm looking down the road at something with 24bit capability and not so "barebones".

Here's what I'm considering:
1. Tascam US-144 mk2
2. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Audio Interface
3. Tascam US100
4.Tascam US-800 8input USB Audio Interface

1. Tascam US144mk2
I like the build of this one, and its well within my budget(under $200). However, I haven't heard much talk about this model so I'm interested to know if any of you have used this at all?

2.Focusrite Saffire
Seems very useful, but again, I'd like some feedback about this one

3. Tascam US100
I've heard great things about this, esp the build quality, but its 16bit...

4. Tascam US800
Ideally, this is what I'd like, especially since it supports multitrack recording (which is pretty versatile for me, if for instance I want to work with a traditional DAW). However, ive read reviews about trouble with this device when using a 64bit build of windows (which is what i have), so im concerned about crashes and freezes that might occur.

I'm leaning more towards the Focusrite or the tascam US144mk2 because those two seem to be the most stable out of the four.

I'd also like to know how much of a difference 16bit vs 24bit makes with these interfaces.

Thanks, guys, for your feedback!
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing? Anyone?
Darmin De'flern

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
Nothing? Anyone?

I have the Scarlett Focusrite 18i6 and I love it. Can record up to 92khz 24 bit. The first two inputs have preamps so you can shove your guitar/bass traight in. In addition they also have their own volume control and warning lights for peaking.

In addition it also has a midi in which is important for me (and midi out if needed) with lots of diffrent inputs you could set this up to record a small band on travels if you needed. Use mine in a studio at the moment.

Construction is solid but its got its own power supply. Have had no problems with delays in sounds being played. I found it was relativly straightforward to set up but you have to download the latest software rather than install the disk based ones.

It also has a knob for monitors and one for headphones and outputs to both simultaioniously.

www.darmindeflern.com if you go to my web page on the right you can see a song called The Road amoungst the equipment used was the Scarlet Focusrite to capture the sounds (i.e. record from keyboard to laptop). I recorded the tracks at 82khz @ 24bit. Mixed down to 42 @ 16 bit there.

I also travled with it from malaysia to UK and back to do some recording in Uk while I was visiting relatives. No problems and its sturdy enough to handle traveling.
Rolang VA7, Roland G-70 Ver3, quad core dell lappi with 6gb mem, DAW = Reaper, Amplitube 2,3. Scarlett Fockesrite 18-6, Mackie 1604 mixer, Washburn status 1000 headless bass, Roland 2.1 Monitors, Sunheizer Mic & Monitor headphones, Korg Kronos 88.
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get any of those on the vote list.

Get a Roland Octacapture. Absolutely brilliant.

Ex Korg UK Technical Support 2002 - 2010

Forum Moderator since 2011

When Words Fail, Music Speaks
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to have a look at RME products. Rock solid, very good quality. I have a Multiface and a 9652, I almost forgot what they look like and how the software works, because there's no need to fiddle with them, once setup, it'll work flawlessly for years. I'm using it on 32 bit OS's though, so you should check the record on 64 bit.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the recent thread on the Zoom R24. It's an 8 in audio I/O, digital multitrack recorder with effects, and a DAW control surface, all in one.
oOjTgOo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presonus AudioBox.
HIT ME UP!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikemolloyuk wrote:
Dont get any of those on the vote list.

Get a Roland Octacapture. Absolutely brilliant.

Wow, that looks great! I've been looking for something like this.

I currently use an Aelsis multimix 12 FW, but want something I can hook up to any analog mixer like in a proper studio setup.

Interfaces with multiple outs seem hard to find currently.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oOjTgOo wrote:
Presonus AudioBox.

I'm selling mine, this is a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320987228057
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: