Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Touch Screen Issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
addy73

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Strange Touch Screen Issue Reply with quote

Just cusious for thoughts and suggestions on this.

I have had my kronos 73 for about 2 months now. I have used it in my home mostly getting it ready to gig with and once at 2 other different locations with no problems.

However, I have ONE rehearsal space I have been to twice and both times the touch screen eventially becomes unresponsive after a few minutes of powering on and remain that way (even if I do a power cycle and change outlets.) On both occassions I have turned it on as soon as I got home and it was fine.

I am leaving tomorrow for a week long gig in Key West and am worried it might happen there as well - but I've comitted to using this keyboard (have all sounds set up) so there is no turning back.

Could this be an electrical issue? or any thought?

Thanks,
Adam
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the touch screen completely unresponsive, or just inaccurate?

Have you tried recalibrating it when it occurs? (Probably asking the obvious, but just thought I'd check!)
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only guess, but I'd say it's very likely a power issue. Do you have a power conditioner? If not, consider getting one. They can be a bit pricey, but they are definitely worth the money when it comes to ensuring your gear works in various clubs (which many notoriously have dodgy power).
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
I can only guess, but I'd say it's very likely a power issue. Do you have a power conditioner? If not, consider getting one. They can be a bit pricey, but they are definitely worth the money when it comes to ensuring your gear works in various clubs (which many notoriously have dodgy power).

+1

That would take care of power inconsistancy from location to location and well worth the extra $$$.
addy73

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange indeed - I was just wondering if anyone had had this same issue, even if just once.

The second time at the rehearsal place I checked as soon as I powered on and all was responsive then several minutes later it would become less responsive until finally nothing would work. I could only make patch changes from the keypad.

Is this something I should contact support about? or wait until /if it happens at another location ?

I will get myself a power conditioner / protector nontheless.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a stretch....but it almost sounds like you are experiencing interference or EMF's at that location. I would think that a power inconsistency would cause the entire unit to malfunction, not just the touch screen. The screen, similar to a TV, may be susceptible to interference. The touch screen in particular functions based on an electronic reaction from electric impulses (magnetic impulses from your finger?), which may be interfered with at that location. Whats in that rehearsal space? Is it near a generator, an air conditioner, refrigerator, circuit breaker panel, etc etc etc?
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure at what point using a power filter became the silver bullter for all manner of Kronos-related woes, but I'm not sure it's good advice.

Modern switch-mode power supplies are very, very good at dealing with bad power, including low/high voltage conditions, malformed waveforms, changing frequencies and all manner of other ills that can affect the power system. Unless you gave extraordinarily bad power where the AVR and feedback-loop in a switchmode power supply is unable to achieve the needed voltage correction, a power filter won't do much to help.

Power filters are great at protecting the power supply itself though from damage due to fluctuations and abnormality in the supply, and in areas where there are regular issues with voltage and/or current supply. Using one in a club or venue where the power quality isn't guaranteed is sage advice, even if it's just to stop a 2 minute restart because someone pulled out your power by accident!

Even if it was a bad power source, it would manifest itself in a completely different way, and wouldn't repeatedly and consistently affect a single sub-system.

The resistive touch-screen is also relatively imune to EMF, compared to capacatative screens that are much more susceptible. It's possible this is a cause, but it's also relatively unlikely.

I would suggest this is a hardware fault, either due to digitizer drift or an issue with the ADC converter for the digitizer not working to spec. Unfortunately, getting it serviced is going to ve the best solution to the problem.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
I'm not sure at what point using a power filter became the silver bullter for all manner of Kronos-related woes, but I'm not sure it's good advice.

I wasn't trying to suggest that a power conditioner is the panacea for all of Kronos's woes. I really have no idea what is causing the issue. It could be any of the things mentioned above, or it might be a dodgy soldering job somewhere, a bad rectifier in the power supply, a loose connector, or a capacitor that's intermittent, or furry gremlins having a laugh. (Thinking about it, it's probably gremlins.)

It's just weird that his Kronos works fine at home but exhibits touch screen faults in the rehearsal space. But that doesn't mean the rehearsal space's power is the problem, and it also doesn't mean that he won't get screen issues at home at some point.

There was a guy whose M3 did really weird stuff when he took out it on gigs to certain places, but in other places and at his home, his M3 worked fine. It could have been a combination of crappy power and something wrong with his M3... I don't know. Gremlins, I guess...
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HardSync. My comment about the Power-Filter-Panacea wasn't directed at you specifically, it's just an observation that this "solution" has been mentioned in response to quite a few issues people have been having in different threads!

Anyway, resistive touch screens can be fickle beasts. Wonder if it could be caused by condensation forming between the conductive sheets in the resistive digitizer due to differences in temperatue? This might explain why it starts off working well, and then deteriorates.

I like your suggestion of gremlins though. Those poor buggers get blamed for everything at my place, and things are seldomly my fault! Wink

HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. I was going to suggest swapping out the flux capacitor, but perhaps that would have been a bit vague.
Cpilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As SeedyLee points out, these switching power supplies are very good. They normally cover the voltage range from 90V-270V. I checked the K61 down to 90V and it was still working OK. Didn't quit until 80V.

Bryan
Concatenation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced the same issue with the touchscreen last week. The screen became intermittently responsive to touch, felt a lot like a loose ribbon cable or something. I restarted the unit a couple of times with the same result. I tried to re-calibrate - no luck there. Found an old stylus and attempted to make some selections - all unsuccessful. My frustration later turned into anger and that's when I decided to leave the kronos alone. Wrote an email to korg support(haven't heard anything from them yet). Next day, powered the bad boy back on and bam! - like nothing ever happened. Now, I don't know if it's me but touch response feels even more sensitive than before. I'm thinking it could be a couple of issues: like I said before, some data transfer cable could not be making a solid connection - I'm not testing that theory. Another possibility, touch controller could have, for some reason, become over-burdened with tasks that effectively caused a 'DoS' scenario; that's why it processed 'some' touch requests as opposed to all. But I'm not a korg engineer so not sure how the touches are being handled - weather it be a dedicated controller or what.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes excessive partying causes the touch screen not to work as intended Brick wall
robkeith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Touch Screen Issue Reply with quote

addy73 wrote:
Just cusious for thoughts and suggestions on this.

I have had my kronos 73 for about 2 months now. I have used it in my home mostly getting it ready to gig with and once at 2 other different locations with no problems.

However, I have ONE rehearsal space I have been to twice and both times the touch screen eventially becomes unresponsive after a few minutes of powering on and remain that way (even if I do a power cycle and change outlets.) On both occassions I have turned it on as soon as I got home and it was fine.

I am leaving tomorrow for a week long gig in Key West and am worried it might happen there as well - but I've comitted to using this keyboard (have all sounds set up) so there is no turning back.

Could this be an electrical issue? or any thought?

Thanks,
Adam

I also wonder as this seems to be something that happens when you transport away from home, what case or bag are you transporting in, is it building static on the lcd? try covering the screen with an antistatic cloth in transport and see what that does, also for the poster that has the same problem at home same deal. As mentioned emf can build and be transferred quite easily particulary if the environment is amplified with it. Get rid of the static and see if that changes the results. Deffinately the home user has a leaked earth somewhere and the static builds, thats why when came back next day was ok. Thats my 2 cents, maybe i'm right let us know, this could help all round
addy73

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I am in Key West now and had brought a power conditioning strip just in case but have not had any issues. It's working great.

Next time I have rehearsal I will take then strip to see if it helps.

You can check us out at 10 -2 est from now through next Tuesday on the live web cam at

http://www.sloppyjoes.com/sloppycam/streamcam.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: