Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha vs Korg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly not as good as the Yamaha but should be OK for your Karaoke.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
flip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

Pete, what makes the Yamha better then the Korg as it applies to the Video out function? It seems like a simple process. Flip
flip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

Don, I got a quote from Musician's buy. You are right, what a differance in price. Thanks for the heads up. Flip
flip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: yamaha vs korg Reply with quote

I just purchased the PA3x fro Musicians Buy.....at a great price. Thanks Don for the heads up. Flip
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pete, what makes the Yamha better then the Korg as it applies to the Video out function? It seems like a simple process. Flip

Resolution is better on Yam but I can cope happily with either

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:

Sorry bud, but I have to disagree with most of what you have written here about the operation of the Korg...it really is quite straightforward...as easy as the G70 was really...I found that (G70) pretty easy after a couple of days...it was the same with my original PA1xPro....After a couple of days, with the manual OPEN, read O.P.E.N. and pressing buttons and experimenting it all gels pretty quickly...

I think most of the problems people have in the transition from Yamaha to anything is they make lots of assumptions, do not read the manual apart from a "skim read", and then complain it is all too hard!!! Whereas the one thing I DO agree with you about is that Yamaha DO spoon feed a lot of the time..

Although to be fair to Korg, it too, is pretty damn easy to turn on and start playing immediately without a lot of forethought, and the touch screen is INFINITELY more intuitive that having to work out the sequence of button pushes required on the Yamaha with NO touch screen.

Dennis

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but Dennis... I own other Korg gear, am familiar with their operational quirks and file structures. My difficulty at grokking the PA3x doesn't come from complete unfamiliarity with Korg's in general, nor from trying to operate it without cracking the manual (please!)... but from how complicated Korg have made some of the simplest tasks, and some of the tasks that you most often use.

Let's face it, Roland's file structure is simplicity itself. The organization of those files is simplicity itself. The job of editing styles, making simple, global header changes to styles is simplicity itself. Korg have needlessly made some of the common editing tasks incredibly time consuming by not including 'Global' options on many editing operations, forcing you to repeat them over and over for each CV...

Sure, the power to do this separately for each CV is wonderful... but not at the expense of HAVING to do it for each CV even when you DON'T want to change it separately.

I agree that any task is likely to get more familiar with repetition, but I can assure you, my opinions about the degree of complexity that Korg's can force on you were not made out of ignorance or unwillingness to crack the manual.

The Korg IS a much more powerful, complex arranger than either the Yamaha's or the Roland's. And yes, one SHOULD expect more complexity in its operation. But I feel that there are ways to streamline day to day operation of it without losing the complexity, and, to be honest, the Roland's show just how good an arranger can be without overloading the casual user with arcana.

I felt my advice, especially aimed at a Yamaha user, was pretty accurate. And I can assure you, it was not derived from ignorance of how Korg's are laid out. You might note, I in no way discouraged him from trying one, or even buying one. I simply felt that he might appreciate a little warning before he makes the assumption that the Korg might be just as user friendly as the Yamaha's (or Roland's!). I can get my head around most things (am decently well versed in VAST Kurzweil programming, used to be decent at DX7 style FM) but I am also pretty familiar with how easy it is to assume that other, less technically proficient synth and arranger programmers get hopelessly lost at a certain point. Perhaps you are missing this point. We are not ALL as technically proficient as you!

What you find easy, natural and simple may be a nightmare to others...! Twisted Evil
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever man Rolling Eyes
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... didn't read your post. Was too long winded! Twisted Evil
flip

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

Well, the PA3x has been returned and I now have the Tyros4. Please don't think I was down on the PA...its just that I have so much invested in the Yamaha Styles etc I don't have the time to spend and invest time in learning a whole new game. The Pa is a great KB and the one I just returned to Musicians Buy is perfect. Perhaps if someone is looking for one they can check it out. I paid $3250 new. If I was looking for one I'd buy it in a minute. Bob and Carl were great to work with.

Regards and thanks to all for the help. PS Even though I am a experianced Yamaha I am having a little trouble with the manual. But, I will get eventually. Flip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: