Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha vs Korg
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flip

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

Hi, my ID is Flip. I am a new member of this Forum. I checked a few out before I chose this one. Now mt Question

I am currently a Yamaha PSR 900 owner...I like it but am gettingtired waiting for Yamaha to offer an upgraded version of the 910. I know a few Korg owners and they are encouraging me to switch.

If I do I am interested in the PA2X Pro or the new PAX3.

Does anyone out there offer me an opinion Yamaha vs Korg. I have been a Yamaha user for years. I like the Halicon feature of both the 2 and 3. Ant advise would be appreciated.

Flip
hewi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

flip wrote:
Hi, my ID is Flip. I am a new member of this Forum. I checked a few out before I chose this one. Now mt Question

I am currently a Yamaha PSR 900 owner...I like it but am gettingtired waiting for Yamaha to offer an upgraded version of the 910. I know a few Korg owners and they are encouraging me to switch.

If I do I am interested in the PA2X Pro or the new PAX3.

Does anyone out there offer me an opinion Yamaha vs Korg. I have been a Yamaha user for years. I like the Halicon feature of both the 2 and 3. Ant advise would be appreciated.

Flip

I owned earlier tyros 2 and tyros 3 and Korg PA3X million times better
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...make that 2 million....

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
hewi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
...make that 2 million....

Very Happy

Yes Tyros = ledcollection Smile
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip, I recognize you from psr tutorial forum. I've had the PA3X for a couple of months now and love it.
It is totally different from Tyros 4 in sound, operating system, size and appearance.
It is far more programmable, has better vocal processing and livelier sounding drums.
Yamaha has done a lot of work for you, such as wonderful OTS settings.
PA3X has better Songbook.
Both have advantages over the other.
There is probably NOTHING the Yamaha can do that Korg can't do, but it might take a little work to achieve it. There are definitely things the PA3X can do that Yamaha can't.
I could list pluses and minuses for both for the rest of the day, but you really need to spend some time with the PA3X. The longer you play with it, the more you'll like it!
If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer.
DonM
flip

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

Yes, its me from the PSR Tutorial. Thanks for your reply and opinion. I am in the process of deciding which way to go. I have heard good things about KORG from my old work friend from Germany. So.....gathering info. The big problem with all of the high end KB's regardless of make is you can't find them outside of a big city.....I want to sit down and spend some time with anything I am going to fork out big bucks or euros for.

Regards.....have you ever check out my Performance page on the PSR site?

Flip
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flip

Here are my personal opinions (reposted here) having owned and closely compared both:-
I wrote:
For me, the PA2Xpro is far superior to the Tyros 3.
My findings:-
Live performance - PA2Xpro is far more flexible to manipulate and set up for live performance.
Tyros's vocal harmoniser is below average and not acceptable for recording or performing.
I find the Tyros very frustrating:-
Screen manipulation is clumsy - requiring too many button pushes
No tempo lock for style changing during a song
No instant access to turn on/off bass inversion
Chord AI fingering does NOT work according to its specifications
FILLs are attached to the VAR buttons - very annoying
No control over FILL-to-VAR
No Intro/endings where you can play your own chord sequence.
I could go on.... but seriously, the Tyros is for a different market.

HOWEVER, I agree that some of the Yamaha sounds are very nice.

It all depends on what you want to do with the keyboard.
Again, these are just my findings, but for performing or recording, I wouldn't even consider the Tyros.

Tyros 4 was a huge disappointment as it did not have any OS improvements.
I record and play live with PA2XPro (PA3X soon!!!) and find it to be very usable in those situations. It is pointless arguing about "SOUNDS" as that its always in the ears of the beholder, but seriously, Korg Styles as unbelievably superior. Tyros styles (other than the newer sounds) still remind me of my old PSR days (PSR70,6100,6700).

These are just my opinions but having owned both, and been on both forums for several years, I do realise that Yamaha arrangers attract a very different customer.

Cheers
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Lanco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the dealer members over on SynthZone recently stated that the new S950 will be coming out probably at the summer NAMM show in a few months.

He was told by the Yamaha rep that it will knock your socks off and will make a lot of people that can't afford a Tyros 4 very happy. So, maybe you want to hang on a bit and see what that would be like for you.

I have a Tyros 4 and love it. You should hear the comments I get from people in my audiences.

I do want to try to play a PA3X to see if it would fit in with what I do. I'm sure there's some great things on there that I'd like, but don't know if it will fit my all around needs. Some of the online demos sound really good.

Scott Langholff
Lanco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hi Flip

Here are my personal opinions (reposted here) having owned and closely compared both:-
I wrote:
For me, the PA2Xpro is far superior to the Tyros 3.
My findings:-
Live performance - PA2Xpro is far more flexible to manipulate and set up for live performance.
Tyros's vocal harmoniser is below average and not acceptable for recording or performing.
I find the Tyros very frustrating:-
Screen manipulation is clumsy - requiring too many button pushes
No tempo lock for style changing during a song
No instant access to turn on/off bass inversion
Chord AI fingering does NOT work according to its specifications
FILLs are attached to the VAR buttons - very annoying
No control over FILL-to-VAR
No Intro/endings where you can play your own chord sequence.
I could go on.... but seriously, the Tyros is for a different market.

HOWEVER, I agree that some of the Yamaha sounds are very nice.

It all depends on what you want to do with the keyboard.
Again, these are just my findings, but for performing or recording, I wouldn't even consider the Tyros.

Tyros 4 was a huge disappointment as it did not have any OS improvements.
I record and play live with PA2XPro (PA3X soon!!!) and find it to be very usable in those situations. It is pointless arguing about "SOUNDS" as that its always in the ears of the beholder, but seriously, Korg Styles as unbelievably superior. Tyros styles (other than the newer sounds) still remind me of my old PSR days (PSR70,6100,6700).

These are just my opinions but having owned both, and been on both forums for several years, I do realise that Yamaha arrangers attract a very different customer.

Cheers

OK, each to their own. But, there are two Tempo Locks starting at least with the Tyros 2 and latest 900 series. One is in the Music Finder the other is found Function>Style Setting>Style Behavior Change>Tempo and also Part On/Off.

Everybody has to find the sound etc they like best. I am interested in testing out the PA3X because it sounds pretty good with some of the online demos.

In the past I did not like the Korg sound in general. Sure I liked the Jazz Organ, some electric pianos etc.

I was given a PA60 to try in my home for 10 days with no money down from a local dealer at their suggestion. (how many places do that these days?) On top of that they offered it to me at dealer cost, which I know was accurate having been in music retail for 30 years.

I really wanted to like it but as I compared it back and forth over and over with my Tyros 1, I just could not like it. And everyone else that heard me A/B them said the same thing.

Anyway I do have a line on someone that lives about an hour and a half from me that has the PA3X. I'm hoping I can arrange to play it and see for myself in person.
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since two months I own a Yam PSR S910. Before that, I had a Korg PA500 for about 3,5 years.
The Korg was about half the price of the Yam.

I am a style-player, and never play with midi-files.

Although the voices in the S910 are definitely very good - most of them better sounding than PA500, I find the Yamaha styles to be very, very poor compared to Korg.
Most of them are much too repetitive, unnatural, polished, boring.
In PA500 all styles are good to excellent. In PSR S910 about 25% are good. Most of them are average to my ears.
In my PA500 I could play almost all the songs I wanted by picking (and sometimes a bit tweaking) the factory styles.
To play the songs I want in the Yam, I have to load Tyros styles or other Yam-styles. They are available in huge numbers, but most of them sound like sh.. compared to Korg.

So I'm planning to get rid of the S910 and go back to Korg.
Maybe PA800, maybe - when savings allow me - PA3X. I love the way it looks & sounds.
More professional. More musical. More real. But it is a lot of money.

Choosing between Tyros 4 or PA3X would be a no brainer to me: definitely Korg.

Play in style. Wink
smstome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing yam arr from psr 740 release. Then followed 2100, 3000, s910, Tyros4.

Pa3x is wayyy better.
After gigs with PA3X, i always get fantastic comments about the sound. Ppl say the tone was brilliant, extraordinary, original, and sorry to say this "was it karoake ?? Evil or Very Mad "

I didn't feel tyros4 apealing( May be coz i got motif xs).

No choice mate, just desicion " PA3X "

Although i had so many trouble figuring out things at the start (still got tonns to learn), it has got everything you had, need and more if you are comming from psr/tyros world.
flip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

I appreciate all of the responses. I agree withe comments re Yamaha styles. I have imported KORG and ROLAND styles that have been configured for the PSR. On balance they are much better. They have more depth and variations within the style. A lot of the T3 and T4 users complain about the difficult set up and take down of the Tyros for Gigs. My conclusion is that these KB's are better suited for a fixed location like the home.

Right now I am satisfied with my 900....its nice and the screen display problem has been repaired by Yamaha with no charge to me. Si, I will continue to read the post on this site it looks interesting. Sometime down the line I will upgrade. But, before I do I will want to sit down and play the KB to see what it can/can't do. I guess to do that I will have to take a ride to a Sam Ash store...Guitar Center is worthless in my opinion.

Again, thanks for all the input. Flip

Also, is there a feature on this site to post songs? The PSR Tutorial has a Performer section which is VG...I get a lot of music to download there.
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

flip wrote:
I appreciate all of the responses. I agree withe comments re Yamaha styles. I have imported KORG and ROLAND styles that have been configured for the PSR. On balance they are much better. They have more depth and variations within the style. A lot of the T3 and T4 users complain about the difficult set up and take down of the Tyros for Gigs. My conclusion is that these KB's are better suited for a fixed location like the home.

Wait untill you hear those styles on a Korg machine; then they will truly shine.
Most converted styles (Korg PA800) don't sound well on my PSR S910.

When you go to a shop, take enough time to get familiar with the PA3X.
Out-of-the-box Korg instruments can sound a bit flat / dull.
This has to do with master EQ-settings.
Also, put on a good set of headphones; bring your own, if possible.
In most (serious) stores you're allowed to do so.

Play in style. Wink
Lanco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

flip wrote:
A lot of the T3 and T4 users complain about the difficult set up and take down of the Tyros for Gigs. My conclusion is that these KB's are better suited for a fixed location like the home.

Just so you know the Tyros 3 & 4 are within a pound of the PA3X 61. The 76 version is about 39 lbs. Your PSRS900 weighs 25 lbs. The T4 weighs 32 and the PA3X 61 is 33.4 lbs if I remember correctly.

If you want to find out about all the happenings in the arranger keyboard world I would highly recommend SynthZone General Arranger Forum. Here all the major and not so major brands and models are discussed by pro's as well as hobbyists.

There are some that have a Tyros 4 AND a Korg PA3X and love them both. Then there are some that favor one or the other or a different kb. All depends on your specific needs.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/37/1/General_Arranger_Keyboard_Foru

Last edited by Lanco on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
flip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Yamaha vs Korg Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Fransman. What is your opinion of the PA2X Pro?

Regards, Flip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: