Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help advise playing new Korg Micro Arranger using KX8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david7685

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Please help advise playing new Korg Micro Arranger using KX8 Reply with quote

I want to play my new Korg Micro Arranger using the keys on my Yamaha KX 8 (88 note weighted controller).
Do you think if I take the KX 8 (yes, it is huge and heavy)
down to the music store (Long & McQuade in Toronto) they'll be able to help me with the MIDI connections?
They said they would try but I wonder if anyone knows how complex (if at all possible) it would be to set-up the KX8 to play the KMA (including backing styles following the left-hand chords with right hand sounds playing melody)?

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,
David
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not have a KX8 manual?

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/xg/kx8_en_om_c0.pdf

Link is for pdf manual.

You've indicated you only want to PLAY rather than do full control from the KX8. That's just a midi note send, and hooking up midi should be pretty straightforward. OUT of KX to IN of MA. Done.

Use the MA's global MIDI Filter to cut off everything except note information coming from the KX8. Set the KX8 to global (G1) or channel 1.

For simplicity's sake you don't want to touch any of the set-up selections on the KX, just do a simple 1 channel configuration and play. This means you will still have to make program/combi changes on the MA as well as start/stop (I don't know if the KX has transport controls) but that simple midi link will get you the full size weighted keys for playing.

The deeper functions of the KX as far as configuration of ranges, midi channels, splits, etc. are intended to control multiple modules. You are essentially only controlling one, even tho' that one is capable of multi-timbral and multi-channel play -- one channel in with note information only should play all of the sounds normally accessible with the MA's keys.

The only glitch in this that I can see is the fact that the MA's patches may not be optimally set up for 88 key play -- any multiple splits and layers will happen close to center of the keys and pitch choices for the extreme ends of the keyboard, high and low, may need to be adjusted for a more natural response.

You may end up with a custom .pcg file for 88 note ranges -- that would be an interesting set to post here if you get all of it optimized that way.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
david7685

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Thanks for your detailed helpful reply Reply with quote

Bill,
I appreciate your thoughtful response (and so quickly, too).
Thank you,
David Patt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: