Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CME WIDI-XU wireless MIDI interface [WORKS]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: CME WIDI-XU wireless MIDI interface [WORKS] Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking for a wireless MIDI interface so I can control my Kronos using my Roland AX Synth keytar wirelessly.

I stumbled upon this little piece:
http://www.cme-pro.com/en/product-detail.php?product_id=1

This generally seems a good idea for me to have a very compact receiver connected to the Kronos. My keytar will be hooked up on a regular transmitter:
http://www.cme-pro.com/products-list/product-widi-8.html

Does anyone happen to own these devices ?
- Does the WIDI-XU work on Kronos ?
- Any experiences when playing with wireless MIDI ?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mathieumaes on Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spacenorman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of the M-Audio Mid-Air wireless MIDI setups with my setup. I also use a Motu MIDIExpressXT midi interface in my rack that hosts all the MIDI connections to and from the devices in my rig (Kronos 88, CP300, Motif ES Rack and AX Synth) - so I simply put the Mid-Air Receive in the rack with a MIDI DIN cable running from it into a midi IN port on the midi interface. With this setup I can control any of the sound engines (Kronos, CP300 and/or Motif ES Rack) from the AX Synth.

The setup works - and actually works reasonably well. The biggest shortcomings are issues with the Roland AX Synth's MIDI implementation itself. The two BIG issues with that is first and foremost - the fact that the AX Synth does NOT transmit volume data as part of the MIDI stream (this means that you cannot adjust your volume from the AX Synth when using it as a controller). The second BIG issue is that the AX synth does not store and/or transmit MSB or LSB data. It only sends Program Change #s. As long as you don't mind calling up the patch you wish to play - before you step out and start controlling it from the AX Synth it's ok. If you're thinking you're going to be walking around with your AX synth and switch between a "comp" voice and a "lead" voice on your Kronos ... you'll need another plan.

As far as WIRELESS Midi goes - pay CLOSE attention to the advertised range!!!!! The M-Audio MidAir system advertises a range of 10 meters. I can get the full 10 meters as long as I've got fresh batteries and an unobstructued line of sight between the transmitter at the AX synth end and the receiver at my rack. Let my body (or that of a dancer or two) come between the two - and that range quickly shrinks. When the range shrinks ... you end up with only some notes you play actually sounding (at best) ... or at worse, nothing getting through.

If you've got visions of dancing around the venue playing your keytar over a wireless MIDI connection - you better be certain that the wireless system you choose can support real distance. (the 10 meters of the Maudio system I'm using means that about all I can reliably do is step around to the stage directly in front of my stationary keyboard rig and play the keytar there. This isn't an all bad thing since I can reach back and make program changes and volume adjustments via the Kronos (which is my top board) as a means to overcome the AX Synth's shortcomings as a controller. However, wandering across the stage or stepping off stage is unpredictable as can be and therefore extremely risky!

Based on what I've read - the MidiJet Pro system has the best range for a portable wireless MIDI setup. It is however a $500 investment (compared to the $100 the M-Audio rig I'm currently using). It's another case of you get what you pay for I suspect.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacenorman wrote:

The two BIG issues with that is first and foremost - the fact that the AX Synth does NOT transmit volume data as part of the MIDI stream (this means that you cannot adjust your volume from the AX Synth when using it as a controller). The second BIG issue is that the AX synth does not store and/or transmit MSB or LSB data. It only sends Program Change #s.

Both issues here don't seem to be a problem for me. I've been using my AX using a 10m USB cable.

I believe I disabled bank changes anyway. I also set "combi patch change" so that patch changes being received change the whole combi and not just the timbre patch.

I've reserved a special bank of "keytar sounds" in combi mode, where I put the right sounds on the right places. The AX has 8 buttons, so I put 8 sounds on those patch numbers (I believe these were 0, 34, 65, ...)
I've balanced the volumes as well in these combis.

Spacenorman wrote:

As far as WIRELESS Midi goes - pay CLOSE attention to the advertised range!!!!! The M-Audio MidAir system advertises a range of 10 meters. I can get the full 10 meters as long as I've got fresh batteries and an unobstructued line of sight between the transmitter at the AX synth end and the receiver at my rack. Let my body (or that of a dancer or two) come between the two - and that range quickly shrinks. When the range shrinks ... you end up with only some notes you play actually sounding (at best) ... or at worse, nothing getting through.

If you've got visions of dancing around the venue playing your keytar over a wireless MIDI connection - you better be certain that the wireless system you choose can support real distance. (the 10 meters of the Maudio system I'm using means that about all I can reliably do is step around to the stage directly in front of my stationary keyboard rig and play the keytar there. This isn't an all bad thing since I can reach back and make program changes and volume adjustments via the Kronos (which is my top board) as a means to overcome the AX Synth's shortcomings as a controller. However, wandering across the stage or stepping off stage is unpredictable as can be and therefore extremely risky!

Based on what I've read - the MidiJet Pro system has the best range for a portable wireless MIDI setup. It is however a $500 investment (compared to the $100 the M-Audio rig I'm currently using). It's another case of you get what you pay for I suspect.

This was really helpful info, thanks! If the 10m really is the outmost maximum, this is probably a deal breaker for me. I don't want a solo to break down if the guitar player passes behind me, etc... And I was actually planning to go further, maybe go off stage. Wink

The CME website advertises this:
Quote:

- Maximum wireless transfer distance is 80m(262 feet) without obstacle.

If someone can confirm this, it's probably a done deal for me.
paalolav

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two of the CME's. They're rock solid. Haven't dropped a note. I'm not sure about the range, but I've used it on large stages, sending MIDI from my masterkeyboard to my laptop behind the stage. I'd recommend it any day.
pfrocha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: CME WIDI-XU wireless MIDI interface Reply with quote

I had the M-Audio wireless interface -- for 4 days. It was junk and I returned it. I couldn't get a good reception even with fresh batteries inside a room in my house (no dancers anywhere).

I am now going to buy a WIDI-X8, which although discontinued has a good reputation.

I hope it will work...
motic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, i read they are both working in the 80 meter range (Xu & XCool
X8 as 20 hours life on 2 fresh AA batteries.
(ooops, already mentioned..)

Music @ www.Soundclick.com/motic
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checkout the AxSynth section on Roland Clan Forums. Someone there has put a wireless MIDI system inside their AxSynth last June. Cool
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already read it... Not sure if I want to open up my AX Synth ... Laughing

Anyway, I ordered the WIDI X8 and and the WIDI-XU USB stick, but they're still in backorder. Actually, I should probably check with the store, it's been 2 weeks Rolling Eyes

For now I'm using a 10m USB cable to control my Kronos. The biggest problem that I have now is the lacking MIDI implementation from the AX Synth, ie. changing sounds.

My old Axiom controller allows me to quickly change MIDI channel, or even layer up to 4 MIDI channels. You need 4 hands on the AX Synth to change the MIDI channel, so that's not an option anymore.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cancelled my order since I still don't have a delivery date. Ordered the devices in 2 different stores, will update soon!
Rockitman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: MIDI Wireless Reply with quote

I have used MIDI wireless for many years.
My first unit was a NADY WML-50 which coverted MIDI to Audio, then you pipe that through a regular Guitar Wireless. Got that back in the early 90's.

now I use the MIDIJet PRO from Organworks. It's pricey $425 USD, but the range is 500ft and the quality is fantastic.
I have two AX-1's an AX-7 and an AX-Synth. If you get the MIDIjet you will not be disappointed.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Rockitman,

Thanks for your tip. I already found out the M-Audio Mid-Air is a no-go (got many bad remarks about the range and interference), and I also got some good remarks on both the CME and MIDIjet.

The CME that I ordered is much cheaper, had some good remarks too, and it's nothing but a USB key that I can put in the Kronos. Hopefully it will work.

I'm expecting the items in the mail soon, I will update this thread and post my findings.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The items arrived today, and I was able to try it.
First impression couldn't have been better!

- The USB stick (CME WIDI-XU) works fine on Kronos, literally plug 'n play.
- I attached the transmitter (CME WIDI-XCool to my Roland AX synth, pressed the "search" button and voila!
- Latency is good, no noticeable delay.
- Haven't tried the max range yet, but I went to another room and it still worked.

So, in short: AWESOME!
Laughing
johnturo

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Midi Wireless Reply with quote

Where did you order the cme devices from, I have been looking for them for weeks and everyone is out of stock.

Thanks you !
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the items in 2 different stores, because none of them had both in stock.

WIDI-XU:
http://www.thomann.de/be/cme_widixu.htm

WIDI-X8
http://www.bax-shop.nl/bekijk-alle-producten-in-de-shop.html
CAREFUL => This price includes 2 units, I called them to specifically order just 1 unit. Apparently the "single unit package" is called WIDI-X8s.
johnturo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally received the WIDI's and it was pretty much plug and play for me as well. Next step is installing the WIDI-X8 inside the AX Synth.

Found this post that pretty well describes the process...

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37671

Thanks for the heads up on where to get the WIDI's, I could not find them in the U.S..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: