Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos - Give Up or Wait for Another Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Kronos - Give Up or Wait for Another Update Reply with quote

Let me start by saying that I do not own a Kronos. I had one reserved and was ready to buy one on the very first day that the shipment arrived in my area. I was first in line.

I had read the posts about the various problems that others were already experiencing but still had faith and high hopes. But after auditioning the Kronos I left the store empty handed and somewhat disappointed and gave up the machine to the next in line.

I’ll skip most of the details but I decided to wait until all the components were complete. Hardware seems to be fixed now, OS bug fixes are in, and Stephen Kay has delivered KARMA software.

So the editor, the final piece is finally delivered and by all accounts Korg might as well not even have bothered. It seems to have so many issues that it doesn't look like any fix will be coming this year or ever.

Dont get me wrong ... I really do want a Kronos and I love Korg but I also want a complete system as advertised. Korg has a great synth core but after all these years with the OASYS as a base they still can’t pull it all together. I am disappointed.

Korg made the work station popular and they were the king so I guess they have earned the rights to kill it now. Maybe computer based solutions are the best way going forward.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos - Give Up or Wait for Another Update Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
Let me start by
I had read eady experiencing but still had faith and high hopes. But after auditioning the Kronos I left the store empty handed and somewhat disappointed and gave up the machine to the next in line. all the components were complete. Hardware seems to be fixed now, OS bug fixes are in, and Stephen Kay has delivered KARMA software.
So the editor, the final piece is finally
Dont get me wrong ... I really do want a Kronos and I love Korg but I also want a complete system as advertised. Korg has a great synth core but after all these years with the OASYS as a base they still can’t pull it all together. I am disappointed.
Korg made the work station popular and they were the king so I guess they have earned the rights to kill it now. Maybe computer based solutions are the best way going forward.

Earned the rights to kill it ?

That seems overly dramatic for a remark. I suppose if u are a perfectionist and had to have a computer based tool today, you should go for the sidelines.

There are a few thousand happy Kronos owners including those that dealt with growing pains type defects. I understand not everyone can be satisfied, too, and not everyone is patient.

The editor will go thru an improvement process.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps i was a bit harsh amd overly dramatic ... but we have all been waiting.

I would like to join the ranks of the happy Kronos users someday. But just saying the facts for now.

Maybe you can shed some light as how to over come some of the Kronos limitations.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Maybe you can shed some light as how to over come some of the Kronos limitations."

This is a great question, the best way to overcome the limitation of the Kronos is to realize it a synthesizer workstation with endless limitation. Shocked

And if this simple realization exercise does not work for you, try playing the instrument for a few hours, if that's not enough, your ears are most likely broken and you need to see a doctor. Cool
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Ten2One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one who has had more than a few problems with the Kronos 88 I can tell you that it is certainly worth all the trouble when you get one that works. There isn't any thing like it anywhere IMHO. I haven't tried the editor but even if it doesn't perform well the board is superb. I'm sure the fan issue has been resolved as well as earlier problems that were first reported.

I feel that some have tried to down play all the trouble the K series has had but it has been a Ricky start for sure. I think Korg is well on it's way in resolving all of their mis- steps.

My advice (for what it's worth) - if you want one just make sure the serial number is greater than 3600 and you should be golden. Korg USA was very helpful and made sure I had one that works properly.

Ten2One
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played it and it is spectacular. My point is missed. I would like a finished product with full daw integration.

I will make a note to see an ear doctor and bring my M3 along for inspection. Very Happy
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should spend your money as you see fit.... Kronos is a very deep machine for a great price......
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like a finished product with full daw integration.

if you ever find one, please tell me. I'll buy it. Before that eutopia happens, the Kronos is the next best thing... times 10.

Blink
popmann

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand...I've had no problems. I'm a picky whiner, so there are always things I wish were implemented that aren't---CC control of the cx3 drawbars...no fan...a better relational DB linkage between (custom user) multisample and program...better stock strings or horns...

But, I've never had a problem. I'm still on 1.04. I downloaded the updates so I can demo the Karo strings...but, I've had no good reason previously to upgrade it.

I personally don't see that you have an alternative. In fact, you don't. You can want better DAW integration--and maybe get it with cubase and a motif...but, a Motif can't touch the sounds of the Kronos, so--what's the point? I think the decision in this day and age FOR THE STUDIO, is would you rather use a Kronos or software. For ME...the Kronos was bought specifically to use LESS software instruments. So, while Im open to what integration they might offer, it's already SO much easier to edit than say my XV3080 which I NEED an editor software to do any serious sound design.

I could nitpick things above, but I'm really super happy with my Kronos. Tracking gig last week...wanted a Wurlitzer...call it up, switch it to mono...into a tube DI and into the recorder live as audio. Did it match sample rates? Did I need to adjust the buffers to get responsive latency? Nope...hit record...play...get paid. That's the value of hardware HERE. But, I have never played another hardware board that's in this league. Maybe specifically for Wurlitzer--but, not the scope and depth of the soundsets.

My advice...if you want heavy DAW "integration", you want software...which thankfully, the Kronos is NOT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: