Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Editor - It's not all doom and gloom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Editor - It's not all doom and gloom Reply with quote

The one thing about this editor that I like, is that the midi monitor shows the actual sysex data string being transmitted (far easier to understand than the almost infinite amount of info in the Kronos' manual). The monitor I generally use from Snoize only shows that it's sysex info from Korg - not terribly useful.

From this, hopefully I'll be able to create an editor for the iPad using MIDI Touch. I think the first job will be a decent interface for the AL-1.

I just need to find the time. Rolling Eyes

Another big plus, is that we can finally remap external CC controllers to any function (Although it's great to have, I find the Kronos' control surface a little lacking) - It gives my master keyboard a whole new lease of life, although now I'm regretting selling my SL61 Mad

Chin up, things will get fixed.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Editor - It's not all doom and gloom Reply with quote

Kronik wrote:
The one thing about this editor that I like, is that the midi monitor shows the actual sysex data string being transmitted.

From this, hopefully I'll be able to create an editor for the iPad using MIDI Touch. I think the first job will be a decent interface for the AL-1.

(SLAPS HEAD - DUH!!!) Because the editor has full MIDI learn functions, I don't need to deal with sysex. It's now easy to create a graphical interface for the iPad using CC's Cool

It's Sunday... I need another cup of tea.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried inserting a program change on a track in logic? When you playback your track, Logic reaches the program change, the editor stops itself thinks for a while and then redraws, and logic now continues..

I want so bad to use the editor, but every time I open it up I keep finding different glitches. Hard to believe this was released in the state it's in.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Hard to believe this was released in the state it's in.

Given the state of the hardware when it was released, at least Korg can say that they are consistent.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Have you tried inserting a program change on a track in logic?

Just tried it Lou... I see what you mean! I'm hoping that this is the problem Korg have informed us about and it gets fixed soon - otherwise, it's just plain unusable Sad

I've still not had the chance to try it in a Windows setup with Cubase, but even if it works, I'm not prepared to switch back to a PC environment just yet.

I remain optimistic.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going beyond the flips, flops and glitches, I finally and at least can now use it for total recall in all modes..
i.e. Load one of your combis into the Kronos while in the Editor Sequence screen and nothing happens in the plugin, and then I realized to right click on the GUI and select "Get Song" ..
bang! all programs in the sequence load with the saved parameters.
I haven't been able to do any automation from the editor to Logic.. only from the K control surface.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lou"]Have you tried inserting a program change on a track in logic? When you playback your track, Logic reaches the program change, the editor stops itself thinks for a while and then redraws, and logic now continues..
quote]

This shouldn't happen and Sound Quest will look into it however, because of how MIDI is handled in a MIDI track vs a plug-in track, all MIDI performance data intended for the Kronos should be placed on a separate MIDI track directed to the Kronos' MIDI port. The plug-in track should just be used for Kronos setup information and not performance data.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundQuest wrote:

This shouldn't happen and Sound Quest will look into it however, because of how MIDI is handled in a MIDI track vs a plug-in track, all MIDI performance data intended for the Kronos should be placed on a separate MIDI track directed to the Kronos' MIDI port. The plug-in track should just be used for Kronos setup information and not performance data.

Hi Michael, nice having you aboard monitoring some of the issues.
Incidentally, I was recording this data to a Kronos midi track, the plugin track was not included at, I didn't even record enable it.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. In this case, i'm not sure what the issue is. Logic shouldn't be sending the patch change to the editor so this shouldn't be a problem. This would imply that somehow this patch change is getting to the editor through a MIDI in port. You might want to try opening the MIDI monitor window in the plug-in and see where the message is coming from.
BetaMark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundQuest wrote:

Uh, Michael, could you elaborate on this? For starters, in Logic a plugin track is also a MIDI track (as in 'Software Instrument'); the only other choices are External MIDI and Audio, but neither of these tracks have an option to launch the editor plugin. Maybe this in part explains another issue I'm having. See:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71168

More importantly, my intention in using the editor is to have the use of the Kronos within logic as a 16-channel multi-timbral instrument. Yet nowhere does the existing pdf manual seem to address this in terms of setting up templates, MIDI routing, etc. I guess I'm expecting to use the editor as a patch librarian as well; hope that's not too far off the mark.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would structure it with at least 17 tracks. One track per timbre (you can always use more if you want), so that is 16 tracks that are all set to external MIDI and one track that has the editor (AU) and handles the SysX.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the editor not opening, we can't replicate this here and I know the amoun of beta testing that Korg did and they would have reported this had it happened on any of their machines. My only practical suggestion at this time would be the following. Before adding/opening the editor switch to a different ScreenSet and open the editor there, leave it open, and have that screenSet as "my open editor" then to close the editor switch to a different ScreenSet. Hopefully when you return to the appropriate ScreenSet the editor will eropen. This works here.
BetaMark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundQuest wrote:
Regarding the editor not opening, we can't replicate this here and I know the amoun of beta testing that Korg did and they would have reported this had it happened on any of their machines. My only practical suggestion at this time would be the following. Before adding/opening the editor switch to a different ScreenSet and open the editor there, leave it open, and have that screenSet as "my open editor" then to close the editor switch to a different ScreenSet. Hopefully when you return to the appropriate ScreenSet the editor will eropen. This works here.

I appreciate your prompt attention to this. I seem to have worked through the issue somewhat, although the behavior is still just a tad sporadic. It's almost as though there's something funky going on with the mapped clickable area where the name of the plugin is displayed... I seem to get the most consistent result if I hover over the area and wait for the tooltip to appear, give it another fraction of a second and then double-click. Perhaps there's also an issue with screen refresh, because when I close the editor window, it takes maybe a couple of seconds for it to fully close, whereas with any other plugin, it's instantaneous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: