Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for those using AKAI libraries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Question for those using AKAI libraries Reply with quote

I notice when I convert Akai libraries to .KSC or Soundfont 2, the size of these libraries EXPLODE! Meaning they become HUGE. Example: I have the Symphony of Voices set. The 1st disk becomes 2.5 GB after conversion from a CD that's at most 700 MB. Shocked

It happens on every one I try. Not these exact figures, but how they become so large after conversion.

Is this NORMAL? I don't have a USB CD drive to try loading them directly, but if I did would I see similar results once saved in Korg Format?

If not, how are you keeping the size manageable?

Kinda scratching my head here!

Thanks.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
Never try convert AKAI disks using software. Not only will the data explode in size as you saw, you also won't get any filter information or AKAI program data.

The best method is to load the data direct from the CD-ROM directly into the KRONOS using the Advanced AKAI Reading option. If you load the data this way, the file sizes stay true, and you will even see PROG mode populate with the AKAI sounds you loaded, filter information too and all ready to play.

You do not select the actual AKAI Programs to load, you select the folder the AKAI programs are in and load the folder itself.

Once loaded, save the data back to disk in KORG format.

Regards
Sharp.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sharp. I ordered a drive. Ironically there was a review from a Kronos owner on it! How cool is that?
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for those using AKAI libraries Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
I notice when I convert Akai libraries to .KSC or Soundfont 2, the size of these libraries EXPLODE! Meaning they become HUGE. Example: I have the Symphony of Voices set. The 1st disk becomes 2.5 GB after conversion from a CD that's at most 700 MB. Shocked

It happens on every one I try. Not these exact figures, but how they become so large after conversion.

Is this NORMAL? I don't have a USB CD drive to try loading them directly, but if I did would I see similar results once saved in Korg Format?

If not, how are you keeping the size manageable?

Kinda scratching my head here!

Thanks.

What Akai samplers are the libraries meant for? I'm currently working on converting various file and SysEx formats over to Kronos and have yet to research Akai as I've been quite busy with Korg's own legacy. This would be a good opportunity to look into the Akai format(s).

Cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
SoundsOfPlanet
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You need to install 1.6 - it only reads properly AKAI CD

http://www.soundsofplanet.com/
one Man -one Kronos- and new sounds by Sounds of Planet
Phabius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using some Akai libraries with Kronos.
Just converted some sounds from Quantum Leap Brass. Sounds good even those are old libraries!
But for convenience I did all conversions with Chicken Systems Translator, as I use this software for a while now, making conversions for Kontakt, Reason NN-XT, and Korg KSC for my Triton Extreme. As I'm used to do sampling from scratch and I realy like it, I don't care to program the sounds myself after the KSC is in Kronos. Usually they get better, as Kronos is a more flexible instrument than the Akai was. Smile

The size seems to be the same, I've never experienced something like that with Translator.
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The size seems to be the same, I've never experienced something like that with Translator.

God help you, that's an awful program. Translator does suffer from this issue too. The only reason why you haven't seen it is the disk your converting.

Say for example there are 64MB of samples and 4 AKAI Programs are using those samples just with different variations of filter information in the program data. Well... Translator will create 4 copies of the 64MB of data leaving you with 256MB of samples.

So it depends on the disk your converting and if the pool of samples is shared with other programs. Which is very common.

Regards
Sharp.
Phabius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think its outdated as well, got it when my Extreme arrived, but it still works... Maybe I was lucky with the disks I've converted. I've noticed some copies of wave files made by Translator though. Maybe I didn't have many problems because I use to convert only what I need at the moment, most single programs. I rarely convert an entire partition at once. As I have to deal with the programs in Extreme/Kronos anyway, what I need in most cases is the sample mapping, and I end up modifying it as well. I don't have an external CD drive to test the conversion directly from Akai disc into Kronos...
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
irtehyar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make individual sf2 files for each patch, or group them into large sf2 files? If you make eachinto an individual sf2 file it has to copy each reused sample into each file to make it independantly usable. Ive had great luck coverting my akai into sf2 by making logical grouping to limit sample copies. Example: when I converted my Twisted Textures, I made each sonic grouping folder a sf2. The result is a little bigger total, but entirely usable. I imagine with some sample discs such grouping may be much harder.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my new Samsung USB drive, so I loaded and converted my Symphony of Voices set tonight. I have to say, for the most part went VERY smooth! A couple edits needed where it didn't recognize a mono sample (vs. stereo) needed to be used, but overall it was painless. Kept the sample sizes reasonable too, about 400mb of RAM per entire disk. (Please streaming!)

I did notice one bad thing with the Akai import though. Some discs the Kronos couldn't read past the first partition. (JP8000 disc and History of Roland I tried). Before anyone says it's the discs or the drive, I tried the disc in the same drive hooked up to the computer and CDXtract and Awave studio read the partitions NO PROBLEM. So it's a Kronos thing. So please Korg, if you guys could get the Kronos to read Akai partitions better that would really be awesome, because it really DOES make a difference in size and how it ports to the machine which when it works is great.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh forgot to add (It was late), the size of this SSD really does not cut it. After converting one Akai Library I'm down to 76mb free on the SSD.

So it looks like all the Korg demos I haven't decided on yet are coming off!

Have the feeling I'm going to be doing the SSD and the RAM upgrade in one swap.

It would be SO great if there was a way to stream the Akai libraries to save RAM. Though there's probably only a small percentage that have as many libraries as I do so I can't hold my breath. In addition the only dollar doesn't get made by Korg if I use my own libraries cause that means I'm not buying THEIRS. However if they're really better than what I already have, I will!

It's a shame because I view the Kronos as a sound palette that you can really sculpt to get the sound you want. It's the limits that are tough. Which currently is the ram because the only thing that saves the ram are the official korg libraries. In my opinion, that's a crummy way to get sales because there's no other choice. Not to mention you end up on the sidelines waiting until they come out with the STREAMING library you want. In the meantime, unless you put in a LOT of work, that ram goes FAST.

PLEASE KORG GIVE US USER STREAMING! It's one of the best features of the Kronos! PLEASE give us access to it.
popmann

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"unless you do a a lot of work"...which is what sound design has always been.

I don't know--I don't even have most of the old Akai discs anymore. I converted them to Gig and NKI files years ago...but, the simple ones I use (pad types) have a handful of WAVs spread over the board. Both Giga and Kontakt show the mapping and natively store WAV (even though it's a monolith ingiga). So, I put the WAVs for a patch on a thumb drive, loaded to RAM and with Kontakt open for reference, stretched them over the board. Have to say that I have found the Kronos multi sample editing/mapping more intuitive and well thought out than either Giga or Kontakt. Ymmv.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popmann wrote:
"unless you do a a lot of work"...which is what sound design has always been.

If you're CREATING the library perhaps (I've done it on a non-commercial scale), but that's not how it's supposed to be. Some of these libraries are very expensive. Insanely so if you have several and add them up. Thousands of dollars EASILY. Ease of use is part of what you're paying for when you buy those libraries beyond sounds that are supposed to be a cut above what's in the current workstations.

It comes down to time vs.money. To prune the multisamples you don't need and make custom .KSC files for sounds your not using, and to fix conversions takes time. To buy something that requires no work out of the box is money. To be unable to load sounds because of incomplete conversion or incompatibilities with disk partitions is money spent with out being able to reap the benefits later.

Now honestly, the Kronos conversion is pretty damn good. The buzzkill is it has trouble reading past the first "A" partition on some disks and the libraries take up RAM the traditional way. User streaming would solve both these problems. Regular libraries would simply stream. Those that can't be read by the Kronos can be read on a computer and then converted/streamed negating the increase in size from conversion.

Taken a step further if you have great non-looped libraries that you use on your computer, you could probably convert them for Kronos (assuming the license didn't pose an issue). This would REALLY open up options for Kronos users. There's so much I'd love to import into the Kronos where EXis are simply not available (And might NEVER be) or not good enough for the asking price. Choice is good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: