Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to get a Workstation / Midi controller - need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Looking to get a Workstation / Midi controller - need advice Reply with quote

Hey,

quick introduction:

I'm 21, I've played piano alot when I was younger (I loved it, but it was old we had to donate to a church when we moved (lol like 500 pounds or something) Then I had gotten a Galaxy S electric organ (really old and it took me so long to get use to the keys) and I've been using that for the past 5 years but it finally broken, so I've been without a keyboard for 2+ years now and I've finally had it and need to get one again.

I got into FL studio / pianoteq / nexus etc stuff, and was amazed by the amount of options you can do in the program, so I decided I wanted to get a keyboard for that no matter what.
I then looked around and read up some guides and I wasn't fully satisfied with the midi controllers, then I saw the workstations by korg and fell in love eventhough they cost so much!

Currently I have a slowly expanding budget of 900$, and I was hoping to get a 76/88 key weighted/semi weighted keyboard. I could easily afford the midi controllers BUT for some reason I REALLY want a workstation. The idea of customizing everything right there and being able to go places and play really appeals to me even though I probably won't take it out of the house much.

Anyway, what would you guys suggest based on everything I just said?

I found a Korg Triton Extreme 76 key used for around my price range
would that work well for a modern midi controller? Would I be able to compose music in FL studio with VST plugins or other similar programs?

I know the Triton is pretty old now, but I love the look of it.

Also, sorry if this isn't the proper place to ask this sort of thing, I'm currently researching still and felt a bit lost and wanted to ask someone else for some advice
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to get a Workstation / Midi controller - need ad Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

I'm also a piano player and I love it. Money put aside, you said you have a growing budget of $900 and your looking at a Triton Extreme 76.

My first real professional keyboard was a Triton Pro, which was two generations behind the Extreme. In 2001, that changed my life of music forever. Unfortunately, being 76 synth action keys, piano tracks were a little more difficult to do, simply because the keys weren't weighted or as big. Therefore I had to practice more just to get the recording right.

So if your a Piano Player first, I can't recommend you get a Triton Extreme 88.
Sina

But the Triton Extreme 88 is a proper weighted hammer action keyboard not a semi weighted synth keyboard.

To quote Korg
Quote:

The 88-note model features our top-of-the-line RH2 keyboard with graded hammer action that convincingly reproduces the touch of a grand piano.

I had a Korg sp250 Digital Piano that had the RH3 keybed, I sold it after just two weeks because I was an idiot when I brought it, I forgot about the lack of a mod wheel and after touch for playing my Native Instruments.

I replaced it with a Triton Extreem 88 and personally I prefer the feel of the Triton extreme 88 to the Korg piano (of course its a very personal thing)

I also get on better with the Triton than I did my Korg M3 even though the M3 should be superior. Don't know why, just seems to gel with me.

Edit: Just re-read your post and see a bit of confusion. The OP mentions the 76 note keyboard, not the 88 note you mention as not being suitable Smile in that case I agree with you. Although I'd seriously look at an 88 note Triton Extreme (especially if he can get the Moss board with it) if he cant afford the Kronos.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Guitar Center that has a Triton Extreme 88 listed for $899. This model usually sells for about $1,300 or more, so call them immediately if you're interested. I have no association with Guitar Center and I have no idea about the condition or current availabiliy of the keyboard that they have listed. I just know that this is a very good price that will be difficult to match, if everything work on it. One advantage of buying from Guitar Center by phone and mail order is that you do get a limited return period to return it back to a local store instead of shipping it back, if you discover anything wrong with it. You can also purchase it with a credit card for no extra fees. I've bought a couple of items from GC this way.

Guitar Center Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee 37204
615-297-7770
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: