Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCG Tools trust
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: PCG Tools trust Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind I create a separate thread for this issue but I would like to have reactions (actually confirmations) from users of PCG Tools.

When installing the application, I think everybody gets the warning that the publisher cannot be verified and to select to continue with the installation.

It seems some people do not trust the application and therefor do not install the application, which is a pity (for them and for my time spending programming it).

So I would very much appreciate if you can answer the following
questions:

1) Did you get this message about an anverified publisher?
2) Did you continue and install the application?
3) Have you noticed any problems (e.g. spyware/virus) etc?

Thank you in advance,

Michel

Background:

The reason for this is that I can link to this thread to show the application is safe.

There is a solution, shown in the following link:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1427768/get-rid-of-publisher-unverified-warnings-in-windows-for-executables

However, to buy such a certificate costs 400 dollars a year (and that is way much more than I have received by donations), so I cannot afford this.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
robbie50

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: So I would very much appreciate if you can answer the follow Reply with quote

1.No
2.Yes, works perfect!! Very Happy
3.No, no virus or spyware!! Exclamation

rob
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No issues at all
ldascanio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So I would very much appreciate if you can answer the fo Reply with quote

1. I don't remember really.
2. Yes. No problem at all with the program
3. No issues here nor alerts with the antivirus installed. As far as I could see it's totally safe.

Rgds.
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to install the 1.x version yet as I've been out of town on business. When I return I'll give it a shot and report back.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Did you get this message about an unverified publisher?

No

Yes

No

Thanks Michel
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be unreasonable to ask you to have your app certified. Those who cannot trust that it will not harm their computers simply miss on a great utility. Their loss !
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all reactions so far (but please reply if you haven't already).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:
It would be unreasonable to ask you to have your app certified. Those who cannot trust that it will not harm their computers simply miss on a great utility. Their loss !

I know, but I can imagine that if you get a message that an app might be harmfull/untrusted one might think twice before installing it.
But it seems to be a generic message that everybody gets unless 400$ is paid for a real certificate.

AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel, same as above

1) Did you get this message about an unverified publisher?
No

Yes

No

I am very happy with it and all your efforts. Thanks!

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have an explanation, Michel.

You're using "ClickOnce" deployment, which is a recent platform to distribute applications, similar to those classic "installshield wizards".

ClickOnce has many good features, but the downside is that Microsoft forces you to sign the package with a certificate. Visual Studio creates a selfsigned certificate which allows you to deploy using ClickOnce, but most computers will give a warning.

To avoid the warning, you have to buy a application certificate which is signed by a "Certificate authority", such as Verisign.
Check this: http://www.symantec.com/verisign/code-signing/microsoft-authenticode

The code signing certificate isn't cheap, and it's my oppinion that MS went too far by "forcing" this into ClickOnce. This really is a big cost for hobby programmers like you and me.

The other solution is to use the old platform for deployment by creating a Setup project and using the classic wizard for installing PCG Tools.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mathieu, you are right ... in the link such a certificate is mentioned and it costs $400 per year of usage for me, so that is unaffordable for me (at least for this hobby project).

The reason I selected ClickOnce is to easily be able to convert it to a downloadable and automatically updatable application when I would put it online eventually and it automatically can install .NET Framework 4.

However, someone is checking out WiX which is a MS/Open source project that can create MSI installs.

But to be frankly, I want rather to update /add features instead of all these overhead items, allthough I know they are necessary.

mathieumaes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both those features - Installation from a website and automatically checking for updates - don't work without a "real" certificate.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know but I don't know ifi those features can be performed with a non clickonce installation.

keyplayer14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Absolutely no problems !

A great and highly useful little app, very much appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: