Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have to get this off my chest about the editor/USB driver...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:

And I know of no pro's who would run some editor in a live situation, a place and time most software tends to crash. (let alone not test systems, and pro's dedicate PC to a few compatible software packages, and don't surf the net on the same machine running the show.)

:

As I read it (I could of course be wrong) he wasn't trying to use the editor at all. Simply having it installed caused USB problems while he was trying to use his dj software, and it kept telling him the Kronos wasn't connected.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojustaboo wrote:
JPWC wrote:

And I know of no pro's who would run some editor in a live situation, a place and time most software tends to crash. (let alone not test systems, and pro's dedicate PC to a few compatible software packages, and don't surf the net on the same machine running the show.)

:

As I read it (I could of course be wrong) he wasn't trying to use the editor at all. Simply having it installed caused USB problems while he was trying to use his dj software, and it kept telling him the Kronos wasn't connected.

That's correct it was the laptop and dj app by itself. I had opened the dj app before and I got the annoying warnings, but after about 5-7 "Ok"s they went away. This time it just went into in infinite loop FROM THE DRIVER software that just kept throwing an error. Of course I just happened to be on a WEDDING GIG when this happened and had to find a solution fast before sending my band leader into a panic.

I don't have inside info, so obviously I can't say for sure but it seems there wasn't much testing done (if ANY) to see if this software plays nice with other applications. I mean you would think it would make sense to do so as many of us use our computers as studio centerpieces with thousands of dollars in music software on them! My 6 month old quad core i7 laptop with 12GB of ram shouldn't be brought to it's knees by a USB driver.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Korg? Re-packaged OASYS. With 7 year old sequencer. Very little that's new in truth. Build quality (of Kronos - not a comment about any other Korg keyboard) - questionable. Editor? Fine for 1990 standard.

Emphasis added by me, because I can't agree with this part of what you are saying. To say that modeled electric pianos, streaming multi-gigabyte pianos, smooth sound transitions (that actually work in virtually all scenarios), and a Set List mode all add "very little" to the existing top-of-the-line hardware workstation would seem to be an unnecessary exaggeration on your part. I agree with the sentiment behind most of the rest of your post, though, Cello. If there was a choice to be made between these new features and spending resources on a spiffy new editor or updated sequencer, I'm rather glad we have first-rate pianos and great ways to play them in the Kronos. The sound and the feeling I get when I play is what matters most most to me.

NuSkoolTone, I totally sympathize with what happened, but after I calm down from the initial shock, I usually blame myself for not testing a new configuration before the session, no matter how negligible the change might seem.
robkeith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dany wrote:
cello wrote:
I don't mean to be contentious here - but just observations given the way things have turned out.

Yamaha - Karma v3 (can't comment about build quality or OS stuff as have never owned one)

Roland - iPad editing wirelessly (build quality - no issues, OS bugs? None)

Korg? Re-packaged OASYS. With 7 year old sequencer. Very little that's new in truth. Build quality (of Kronos - not a comment about any other Korg keyboard) - questionable. Editor? Fine for 1990 standard.

Reason for posting - keeping it real. I want Korg to be #1; I really do. I wish they had a keyboard I lusted after the same way as the OASYS or my first keyboard, the Delta.

My earnest hope, meant with care and genuine support, is that Korg learn from this experience - whilst it is all very good to say 'get in touch with support; we'll sort it out', it doesn't address the points - how the problems arose in the first place - and what has been put in place to prevent them in the future.

I honestly believe that Korg should be top of the tree - but until Korg admits its mistakes (conceptual, marketing and production) then it will be sometime before they enjoy that position again.

+1 Applause

-

+2
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:

NuSkoolTone, I totally sympathize with what happened, but after I calm down from the initial shock, I usually blame myself for not testing a new configuration before the session, no matter how negligible the change might seem.

I completely agree.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear that you had problems but I think there are a couple of facts that you need to know.

The editor does not have its own USB driver. It uses the same USB driver that all other applications use to talk to the Kronos.

The editor doesn't have any background processes that reside in memory when the application is not running. If the editor isn't running, it isn't running.

I'm not sure what your problem was but if the informormation in this thread is correct, the source of the problem was not the editor.
robkeith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundQuest wrote:
I am sorry to hear that you had problems but I think there are a couple of facts that you need to know.

The editor does not have its own USB driver. It uses the same USB driver that all other applications use to talk to the Kronos.

The editor doesn't have any background processes that reside in memory when the application is not running. If the editor isn't running, it isn't running.

I'm not sure what your problem was but if the informormation in this thread is correct, the source of the problem was not the editor.

--_____________________________________________________________

Ok sound quest, can I ask, since Korg threw their hands up in the air and obviously said, we can't do it, when are you guys going to bring this editor into 22 nd century?

Thanks
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robkeith wrote:

Ok sound quest, can I ask, since Korg threw their hands up in the air and obviously said, we can't do it, when are you guys going to bring this editor into 22 nd century?

Thanks

well, if they can get it done anytime in the next 88 years, they'll be ahead of the curve Razz
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your DJ App set to detect new VSTi automatically at startup? If yes, I would turn that off first.

I suspect the DJ App was trying to load the VST editor, while the MIDI ports were not set up in the that DJ App.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks

You have to remember that Korg paid to have the editor developed and some of their display code is integrated into the package. As a result, I expect it will be Korg that decides what future development there is for this editor.
AMR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojustaboo wrote:

Quote:

Regarding putting KARMA 3 inside a Korg product, i.e. Kronos, I can't get too deeply into commenting on that, other than to say there's been a shortage of resources for a long time in Korg's engineering dept., and I think you can see from the fact that it's been three years since a KARMA update (other than bug fixes and making it run on the Kronos) how high of a priority that is. Slightly frustrating to me, but I've accepted it and hence am now moving forwards more on my own and targeting a new group of customers on a different platform.

A comment like that only fuels my concerns further (and makes me wonder what he would have really liked to have been able to say)

If Korg "opens" up the operating system (API's and SDK's), external developpers will act as an engineering team. Or better yet, just open the code reserving the right to use, of any legacies, to Korg.

As an experienced developper myself, I have to admit the scent of a broken software development team of a product (as if the code was in the knowledge of a few/one and that few/one has gone leaving others searching for needles in haystacks).

I've owned the keyboard for 3 months now, using it heavily every day and, I it has to be said, I waste most of my time working around the issues/bugs/stupid ergonomy it (still) has, than I do in doing work that should have had gone properly to start with.

Sequencer mode, for example, if you want to produce a song top to bottom, is utter hell - 90% of the time is consumed figuring what on Earth is Kronos inventing/altering/screwing in the process - to name one. As the ultimate workaround, I've placed a punching bag in the studio to protect the Kronos...

Kind Regards,
AMR
http://www.alvaromrocha.com
zengomi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who cannot find their way to create (music), complain about the tools. Thus will it ever be. Humans are really that predictable.
AMR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zengomi wrote:
Those who cannot find their way to create (music), complain about the tools. Thus will it ever be. Humans are really that predictable.

So do those who can, I should know.

Kind Regards,
AMR
zengomi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMR wrote:
zengomi wrote:

So do those who can, I should know.

Kind Regards,
AMR

That really doesn't make sense. If one is creating fulfilling music, there's no reason to complain. Unless, that is, one is not satisfied with one's musical creations. There, again, the problem is personal.

I can make make music with a piece of string. But I bet there are people who would vent angrily at a piece of string that thwarted their genius.
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime i power my Kronos, i'm a bit frustrated that i couldn't get that technology when i was younger and had more time on my hand to make music. So, maybe the editor is not top notch, but the Kronos? Do you realize what you have on your hands people?

Even if a good part of the instrument is Oasys technology, so what? Find me something that's close to what you get with the Kornos. Software? Ok, if you're legit, calculate what it will cost you to have the powerful computer and soft synths that will rival the Kronos. I'm using both and i'm in synth heaven right now.

Blink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: