Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peculiar MIDI file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cpilot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Peculiar MIDI file Reply with quote

I have this peculiar MIDI file. It loads and plays in Windows Media Player, XGworks, Cakewalk, PowerTracks, Cubasis and Cubase 5. It manifestly refuses to load into the Kronos sequencer. I've tried loading and saving between all the aforementioned programs, converting between SMF 0 and 1 but to no avail. I've had no trouble with any other MIDI file on the Kronos. Anyone got any bright ideas?

Bryan
Cpilot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some more checking. I dumped a couple of versions with my amazing midi dump program and they look like perfectly good midi files. Nothing out of the ordinary. Compared them with other files but no differences (except for the musical content). Also the file is not too big. I have bigger ones on the Kronos that play OK. Still a big mystery.

Bryan
Cpilot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be yet another bug. When I try to load this file I get the regular box which asks me which song In which to load it. Hit OK and then I get another box which is blank except for an OK button. Hit OK and the box disappears and no load occurs. This is an undocumented feature and it doesn't occur with any other midi file. You would think that if the midi file was in error, the Kronos would report it as such. Maybe I'll report it in my "Yet more bugs" thread and someone at Korg might take notice. Pointless reporting it directly to Korg as they just farm me off to some other company which is their representative here in Canada. And what do they know about software bugs?

Bryan
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the MIDI files contains sysex which somehow interferes with the Kronos, whilst being ignored by the PC sequencer ?

If so, try stripping the sysex code and reload the new file.
Cpilot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Francois

At least I got one reply - thanks. Nope, there's no sysex in the file. There are a few F0 and F7 in there but they are in tempo statements so they should be ignored. If not, there's definitely a bug. So far I've tried seven different pieces of software and they all play the file in the various versions I've produced. Must be something wrong with the Kronos, especially as I'm getting that strange box.

Bryan
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but you could upload the file here as a link (or PM it to another Kronos owner) and then see if the error is replicated? (or if convenient go into your local store and attempt to load it up)

Whilst it doesn't prove much in itself it will prove it is either just your Kronos or it is everyone's Kronos.

If it is loaded into someone else's Kronos, then the SMF is good and so is the OS - but it may mean a problem with your own Kronos.

If it doesn't load into someone else's Kronos, then the quandary remains - OS or SMF issue?

I'm happy to load it into my OASYS to see if it reads it - and my Sibelius if it helps. (Should be SMF 0 IIRC)

If the OASYS can read the SMF, then it could point to an OS issue.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 100% guaranteed way to identify and fix this problem.

Use a midi editor to do the following:

1. Divide the file in half.
2. Try the file.
3. Go to 1 until it stops locking up.

Something between the file that works and the last one tried that did not work must be the cause. So now you can start appending half of the differences to the file that works until it stops working. You can nail it down to the first midi command that causes the problem. This is brute force divide and conquer. It actually does not take that long because it divides by a power of 2, so even very large files get widdled down very quickly to a single line that identifies the point of failure. This works for most anything were there is a clear success and failure condition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: