Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW M.S. SOFTWARE EDITOR CAMPAIGN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnroney

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: NEW M.S. SOFTWARE EDITOR CAMPAIGN Reply with quote

for those of us who are looking for a new M.S. software editor, with features such as :
1. easier/better librarian
2. drag and drop
3. names/channels visible on every page
4. MIDI activity visible on every page
5. copy/paste between combis
6. copy/paste FX and Timbre Parameters
7. SAVE Timbre Parameters and FX parameters !
8. SAVE combi slot parameters (for complex instruments)
9. nice big GUI and flexible ARP editor interface

the list goes on and on...

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS POST, with a 'proposed financial contribution' - in hopes that we can convince a very nice programmer to write this software for us... korg seems not to be listening.

so, i'll go first -

I WANT A NEW SOFTWARE EDITOR FOR THE MICROSTATION, AND I AM WILLING TO PAY $100.

(personally, i use the m.s. alot, you can name the price you like....in any respect, there is no obligation at this point, we're just a forum!)

ok... let's get this thing going!
Stargazer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WANT A NEW SOFTWARE EDITOR FOR THE MICROSTATION, TOO!

Cause I will be buying one, sometimes soon.
LFCMusic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated in a previous post, I'd pay $20-30.

-Past Gear-
Korg: M50, Trinity, Triton, 01WFD, 05RW, X5D, SP-100 & N364
Yamaha: Motif 8
Stargazer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to mention; agree 20-30 USD will be fine.

But, I would love to see one more thing; since sequencing on Microstation means menu diving, how about including a simple functional sequencer with the editor? And how on earth no one ever included such a simple thing as a simple yet fully functional sequencer with editor?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that making such an editor cost probably a lot more than the sum of people's 'donations'.

E.g. I'm the developer of PCG Tools. Such a tool is simpler than creating a full blown editor. It took me about 300-500 hours. Assuming I would do it commercially let's say a salary of $50 an hour (which is quite low) would result in 400 x 50 = 20000$.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WhistlingFool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Another take Reply with quote

Could we agree that the microStation is an entry level instrument?

Could we stretch that to say maybe Korg intended it to be that first step that then leads the buyer to want a bigger more expensive Korg?

I bought this as an entry level, and I have found the software to be less than intuitive. My background is decades working directly with all sorts of computers and software, and this software is clunky and poorly written, almost as if whoever did it was not happy about having to write such a dinky program...

Korg missed a huge opportunity to bring online all sorts of newbies. They made a simple and inexpensive entry level all-in-one unit and then didn't back it up with a program that was compatible and easy to use. The training videos were extremely good, but fall short of really covering what one needs to know to really get going. With perhaps another hour of video lessons, I am sure they could have had me much farther down the road.

I have run into a similar environment before. Linux. In learning any one thing about linux, one usually has to learn a few other things in order to understand the one thing, and each of those things also requires you to know several other things. Basically the best way to learn Linux is to already know it.

This seems to be the way in this forum... that anyone asking a question should already know how to operate any individual section of the system... and the software written for the mircoStation seems to assume I already know everything I need to about running an editor.

In my limited time to work with the microStation, and face it I am not a piano player, or an expert in any area of using the microstation, it has been challenging to get anything done... and I really didn't need that much more help... again, I think with a very small an mount of additional effort, Korg could have opened this device up to a huge base of potential new users for their higher end products....
johnwick

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: NEW M.S. SOFTWARE EDITOR CAMPAIGN Reply with quote

I am a programmer and am interested on working on this. I am also a musician and just purchased the Korg MicroSTATION I am using Rosegarden as a sequencer in Ubuntu 12.04 and Linux mint12. so far I am able to control and record from the Korg fine without having to load and of the drivers. i am not looking for any funding. I just want to work on the project.
johnroney

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: tried to contact you direct Reply with quote

to: johnwick
don't know if it worked... you can try to p.m. me, and we'll see if that works.
it's great that you're interested ! glad to have you on board...
johnroney
Mahalo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I want a new improved editor, but realistically i don't believe it is that easy. Unless you can get the Roland team to work on it.
Feelgood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me on for a new update. Smile
Korg Microkorg
Korg Microstation
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://soundcloud.com/dr-feelgood
ricstudioc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in - the MS is a great unit, hampered by it's complexity. A better editor would substantially increase the use I could get out of it. As I've posted elsewhere, for me one of the biggies is much clearer display of modulation sources/destinations.

$100 no problem - it would make the unit that much more useful.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody wants to use the code base for PCG Tools please send a PM.

Currently it cannot read PCG files from the microstation because the PCG format LOOKS quite different, but once you write your own PCG reader (probably with some changes from the already existing one), you get a lot of useful program/combi related code.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KORG2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collect money on kickstart and try to find a programmer who is an expert with microStation functions and very good in programming (device, GUI). You can't get good software if you just want it and are willing to pay for it. You first need to find suitable people for such a project or you end up in bad software.
johnroney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: kickstart Reply with quote

yes yes yes...
all good information.
i'll check it out... based on the response to this current forum, there seems only to be about a dozen people interested, though.
i was hoping for a bigger response, and hoping to get korg to take notice (ha!). we'll see what comes next - korg is releasing a few more micro products in the fall, so i'm kinda holding my breath. maybe i'll just give up the fight. you make a fantastic point though, which makes the challenge only seem bigger !
johnroney
lostchild

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please new editor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: