Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Back to the future: the 80ties revisited
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
postman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Kronos Back to the future: the 80ties revisited Reply with quote

Boy, did I have a time trip. Started to load those DX7 patches. Playing E.PIANO 1 and RHODES and went straight back to my childhood. Then playing Dan Stesco's Jean Michel Jarre sounds. There I was: back in my room listening to Oxygene; the very first time I listened to synthesizer music ever, wondering how it was made....

Makes me dreaming: could I go back in time even further and play Kraftwerk on my Kronos? Let me just hope that Dan Stesco is reading this and gets inspired...
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind some sounds like what you could get on an old EMS synthe. Right now I'm trying to get the sound that Pete Townsend used in "Won't Get Fooled Again". I know that he used some kind of home organ and ran it through the filter of an EMS synthe.

I'm using an organ sound through the LFO auto wah. Getting closish but if anybody has a better way that would be awesome.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things going on with the organ sound on "Won't Get Fooled Again". First there is a filter sweep and then there's a tremelo set to a square wave. To play it live with a band can be a bit tricky. You can send a beat to the drummer that follows the square wave to keep him in time.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Phabius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, there's a patch I've programmed for Won't Get fooled Again in this small collection:

http://korgpatches.com/patches/kronos/fr_classic_patches

Not the same approach, but a workaround. Anyway it sounds similar and can be used as a starting point for you.

Greetings Smile
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an amp tremolo IFX for the square wave modulation.

The BIG question is does anybody know how to calculate the sequencer BPM so the Hz of the Amp tremolo lines up? I'm using a speed of 4.90 Hz on the amp tremolo and I'd like to record it onto the sequencer but for editing purposes I'd like them both running at exactly the same speed. I realize it's not absolutely necessary to do it this way but this is how I'd like to do.

Any help would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeremykeys
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you're going for 16ths or 8ths but Hz is just "beats per second" so it seems relatively simple to convert that to beats per minute.
.Jens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check the "MIDI/tempo sync" box, you can directly enter the desired BPM value, and it's automatically synced with the internal sequencer.

This "trick" applies to most of the FX involving some kind of LFO... Wink
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jens. However, I can't seem to find the MIDI/ tempo sync button. Which page is it on?

Thanks again!

Jeremykeys
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also use common LFO or stepseq routed to modulate volume via AMS
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I did that patch a few years ago to M3. I generated the effect using two LFO.
OSC source E.Organ-Full

To modulate the amp load the LFO1 to Amp Mod - intensity 99

LFO1 description:

Wave-TRIANGLE
Key Sync-on
MIDI Tempo sync-on
Base Note 1/8 ,Times 01

To modulate the filter select the lowpass filter cutoff Freq-50, Resonance-60

Filter LFO Mod.
LFO2 intensity+17

LFO2 desciption

Wave-SINE phase +90
Freq-13
.Jens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
Thanks Jens. However, I can't seem to find the MIDI/ tempo sync button. Which page is it on?

If you are really using an IFX for the tremolo (e.g. 061 - Stereo Tremolo), you will find it in the respective IFX tab, nearby the setting for the LFO frequency.
If you are instead using an EXi-internal LFO, there should be also a similar checkbox very close to the frequency setting. I don't have mine at hand, so I can just tell from what I remember. But surely for all LFOs in the Kronos, there is a setting where you use (multiples of) global BPM instead of a frequency given in Hz.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at my Kronos right now but I do know that I'm using an amp tremolo from one of the amp sims. Never even thought about the stereo tremolo. I used the amp tremolo because I think that Townsend used that feature on his organ before running it through the EMS Synthe. I could be wrong though and I'm not entirely happy with the tone that I"m getting. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks!

Jeremykeys
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried just sampling the relevant part(s) from the original song and making that a Program?

I know its not strictly pure synthesis but ...
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that had occurred to me but the part does change and evolve and you have to take that into account. I was pretty much planning on using a sequenced intro and then once the rest of the band kicks in, play it manually. I can easily play steadily enough that only a fanatic might notice and since our monitor system doesn't really exist, there is no way to give a feed to the drummer for him to lock into. also, we generally have to follow our psychotic guitar player. AND! we tend to jam our songs a lot so trying to get this band to lock into a machine is next to impossible. Only slightly easier than world peace!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little Extreme Sample Converter loving on the OB-X VST from Sonic Projects....

This is the sort of sound I have inside my KRONOS.

Queen - Radio Gaga
Abba - Gimmie Gimmie
Madonna - Holiday
Duran Duran - Prayer
Nena - 99 Balloons
Howard Jones - New Song
Numan - Cars

There's a massive collection of famous sounds in this plugin.

Regards
Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: