Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using the Kronos with external sound modules/kbds.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fingerpianist

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Using the Kronos with external sound modules/kbds. Reply with quote

Hi, sorry if these items are buried somewhere in the forum already, or if the answer is in the User Manuals, but I only got my Kronos yesterday, and I need to program it in 2 weeks for the show "The Wedding Singer". (80s pop mostly.

Setlists will control most of what I need in pit band work, but there are times when you need to play lots of sounds simultaneously and/or sequentially in a short time. For instance, the JV1080 harp and oboe are better than the factory Kronos versions.

So: How do you create a setlist slot which a) plays only an external module (Korg mute); b) plays both Kronos and external module at same time; c) splits kbd, with one part internal and other external?

I know midi channel 1 is sending to my other gear - I just need more control. Assume I can have 2 keyboards if that helps.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Ken:)
Semi-retired, semi-pro pit band musician and jobbing pianist and MD. Oops, protocol suggests I should put a list. Recently deceased: Roland A90, Wirth grand piano, Roland SD300, Lowrey portable organ. Current: Yamaha upright, Korg Kronos 73, Korg N364, Juno 60 and other pretty things.
johnnydr

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello FP.. You can create Combies and then assign them to stots in your Set List. If you click on the "timbe parameter" tab in your combie you can assign a channel to your external hardware. Just select the external tab and set it to the same channel as your module. You can then control the volume from the corresponding mixer slider. You can create splits and layers in the Midi Filter/Zones tab. I haven't been able to Mute the Kronos so Ijust set the slider the Kronos is on to zero(must be a better way to do this though)
SoundsOfPlanet
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Wink
Seq mode - in each Chanell set another program from 2 to 16

Your programs will be in the form of songs

http://www.soundsofplanet.com/
one Man -one Kronos- and new sounds by Sounds of Planet
fingerpianist

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - that was quick. I've spent all evening ploughing through the manuals. Not often you find what you want on p. 500 and something of a keyboard manual!!! As for mute - well, I already use an old-fashioned keyboard mixer with sliders which I can easily grab in live gigs, which is much the same as johnnydr suggests.

Will have a suck it and see session soon.
Semi-retired, semi-pro pit band musician and jobbing pianist and MD. Oops, protocol suggests I should put a list. Recently deceased: Roland A90, Wirth grand piano, Roland SD300, Lowrey portable organ. Current: Yamaha upright, Korg Kronos 73, Korg N364, Juno 60 and other pretty things.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iknow it does it in Seq mode, but not sure about COMBIs, but I think you can use the physical button on the control surface above the sliders to mute each timbre. Just make sure you have the right control surfce mode active and that you are on the right group 1-8 or 9-16. And you can set up external bank selects in the timbre to control patch selection on your external modules. Then make a setlist and assign it to a slot. When you're done "write" AND "save" it all. And BACK IT UP!
alanjpearson

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Roland Fantom XR.

First of all. to get Combis to send the correct Bank and Program Select, you need to set the Performance Control Channel to the Combi Timbre which contains your EXT Bank Program Select message.

You should NOT set the Kronos Global Channel to the same channel as the Performance Control Channel of the XR.

The Kronos appears to send a number of messages to the XR which mutes the XR output - you need to go into MIDI filter pages for the Combi Timbre and ONLY select Program Change/Other Control Change Message and the pedals/foot controls you are using.

R
Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: