Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Kronos as MIDI Controller
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaySL wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and i'm planning to get a kronos soon. I'd like to extend OP's question and ask if it is posible to use kronos sliders and knobs to send its value to VSTs to modify some parameters in real time?

You do this from External Mode. Here you can setup your sliders, knobs and switches to control your VSTs.
Not at Kronos right now but there over 100 templates that you can store to.

See this wiki article. It is for the M3, but the same procedure for Kronos.

http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/korg-m3:assigning-unused-cc-numbers-to-external
JaySL

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:

You do this from External Mode. Here you can setup your sliders, knobs and switches to control your VSTs.
Not at Kronos right now but there over 100 templates that you can store to.

See this wiki article. It is for the M3, but the same procedure for Kronos.

http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/korg-m3:assigning-unused-cc-numbers-to-external

I bookmarked it for future reference, thank you so much for your quick response. Wink
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old thread, I know...but -

I just purchased a Yamaha Motif Rack XS as a companion sound source for my new Korg Kronos LS...

I notice that even in Combi mode, if I disable all of the slots within the Combi, the Motif still plays. If I enable an EXT2 mode on one of the slots on the correct MIDI channel, the Motif will not change programs when I change one of the Ext2 Pgm Chgs within the slot on the Combi. Seems as though MIDI is always being sent out of the Kronos to the Motif, even if I turn the channel within the Kronos Combi OFF. So much for thinking the Kronos is a versatile MIDI controller...

Scary stuff, as I thought the Motif would respond to Program Change within a Combi just like Mainstage 3 does, but it does not.

Any solutions here ? Thanks for any help..

Best,
JT.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is BUT, it always transmits on the Global channel. If Global is set to 1 and Motif is set to receive ch1 then, it will play. I set the Global channel to 16 and avoid 16 on any receiver.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
It is BUT, it always transmits on the Global channel. If Global is set to 1 and Motif is set to receive ch1 then, it will play. I set the Global channel to 16 and avoid 16 on any receiver.

Geo

Thanks very much !
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
But tutorial 9 (which i'm still working on) will explain the following subjects:
- setup the Kronos as a multitimbral device in your DAW
- setup the Kronos as external midi controller
- setup the different EXT templates for your different synths.

Can anyone point me to a location for this tutorial?
Rigel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I control 5 other synths from my Kronos' MIDI out on a chain. I built a Combi for that, named it "ExternalSynths". I assigned each synth a separate track, and a separate midi channel to each track. For instance Ultranova is on the first track with a midi channel number 8, Blofeld is on the second track with a midi channel number 7, and so on. You can use the midi tab of the combi to assign midi channels to external synths. By the way don't forget to set the destination as EXT. You can also assign internal Kronos patches within the same combi, this time, midi channel is 1, or the global channel. I set all the tracks to mute initially, and then when I want to play an external synth or multiple synths in unison, I just uncheck its mute mode. If the tracks are set to "mute" in your external synth combi, they will not sound when you play your Kronos, be it a program or another combi. Keep in mind that you should also set your synths' receiving midi channel numbers the corresponding number you assigned in your combi.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
QuiRobinez wrote:
But tutorial 9 (which i'm still working on) will explain the following subjects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd23OjFZjz8&list=PLx607dnAaOs72x7CuUgn-q1I2XUbnB9-r&index=7

Not sure if that's the exact video, but from there you can see links to all of Qui's Kronos tutorials.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Hi,
I control 5 other synths from my Kronos' MIDI out on a chain. I built a Combi for that, named it "ExternalSynths". I assigned each synth a separate track, and a separate midi channel to each track. For instance Ultranova is on the first track with a midi channel number 8, Blofeld is on the second track with a midi channel number 7, and so on. You can use the midi tab of the combi to assign midi channels to external synths. By the way don't forget to set the destination as EXT. You can also assign internal Kronos patches within the same combi, this time, midi channel is 1, or the global channel. I set all the tracks to mute initially, and then when I want to play an external synth or multiple synths in unison, I just uncheck its mute mode. If the tracks are set to "mute" in your external synth combi, they will not sound when you play your Kronos, be it a program or another combi. Keep in mind that you should also set your synths' receiving midi channel numbers the corresponding number you assigned in your combi.

Kronos is a strong MIDI controller.

Don't forget you can go to GLOBAL MIDI/External1 and create a template to control your Ultranova on channel 8 (save to External Setup 8, at top), then another for Blofeld on channel 7 (External Setup7), etc.

Then, back in Combi mode, open the Control Surface tab. Press the EXT tab on the left, then the Setup # on the right side.

Of course, you will need to know which CCs on your Ultranova or Blofeld control which parameters. But you could probably just use the more common ones like filter cutoff and resonance, envelope ADSR, etc, and develop your own standard templates (faders 1-8 are ADSR for filter/amp, knob1&2 are filter/resonance), etc.

It's good to have options.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Scott wrote:
QuiRobinez wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd23OjFZjz8&list=PLx607dnAaOs72x7CuUgn-q1I2XUbnB9-r&index=7

Not sure if that's the exact video, but from there you can see links to all of Qui's Kronos tutorials.

I guess he decided not to do that one. #9 is "Wave Sequences (Motion Pads)" and nothing else looks like what was described above. I was looking for some EXT template stuff. But I guess I'll just go exploring. Wink
Rigel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:

Kronos is a strong MIDI controller.

Don't forget you can go to GLOBAL MIDI/External1 and create a template to control your Ultranova on channel 8 (save to External Setup 8, at top), then another for Blofeld on channel 7 (External Setup7), etc.

Then, back in Combi mode, open the Control Surface tab. Press the EXT tab on the left, then the Setup # on the right side.

Of course, you will need to know which CCs on your Ultranova or Blofeld control which parameters. But you could probably just use the more common ones like filter cutoff and resonance, envelope ADSR, etc, and develop your own standard templates (faders 1-8 are ADSR for filter/amp, knob1&2 are filter/resonance), etc.

It's good to have options.

This is exactly what I do for my Blofeld. I now hardly ever touch my Blofeld..
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By this summer I will also get a Blofeld. And probably do the same as you and map the Kronos to control it Cool
Devnor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off local control. Create your softsynth track and an external midi track pointed at the kronos. Depending on which track is selected is the sound you will hear. You could create the INIT patch but then you just denied yourself of the Kronos sound engines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: