Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HardBoard bottom instead of metal??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
EXer wrote:
The *real* issue with the Kronos is not the material of which the bottom is made, but the fact that the keybed is screwed to that bottom instead of being firmly bolted to the chassis.

That's hardly uncommon enough to be classified as a source of problems for the Kronos specifically. It's the same with my JX10 for instance, for instance. The Nord Stage too, IIRC. The Hohner Pianet. The Micromoog (ok, notoriously unreliable, but hardly because the keyboard is fixed to the bottom).

Despite those examples I still believe Korg have gone too far as to cost cuts.

Speaking about the JX, you can open it without removing the screws which hold the keybed: just release 3 screws on each side and 2 screws on the bottom near the rubber feet and the whole synth panel tips up on its hinges (I own a JX-8P which shares the same - good - design as the JX-10).

One should not have to unfasten the keybed to open a synth and to use cardboard spacers to put it back in place!
Rskeys

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
EXer wrote:
The *real* issue with the Kronos is not the material of which the bottom is made, but the fact that the keybed is screwed to that bottom instead of being firmly bolted to the chassis.

That's hardly uncommon enough to be classified as a source of problems for the Kronos specifically. It's the same with my JX10 for instance, for instance. The Nord Stage too, IIRC. The Hohner Pianet. The Micromoog (ok, notoriously unreliable, but hardly because the keyboard is fixed to the bottom).

I have never in all my years with keyboards (almost 20) seen a keyboard that need cardboard spacers to hold a keybed in place. This is a flaw in design no matter how you put it and one of the reasons the keybed moves is it's fixacion and dependance on the wood bottom. Screws and wood are never the best solution no matter the wood. Wink
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the cardboard spacers. Those are ridiculous, I feel silly everytime I have to use them, and am basically waiting for one of my band members to ask why the hell I need those.

All I'm saying is that the base being made of MDF is not in itself the problem. You say the JX can be opened without unscrewing the keybed - true, and that is great design! They should have done that on the Kronos as well. But then still the issue is not that the base is of wood because you can apparently also have a good design based on that. The issues with the keybed stem from a bad design call, or probably something they found out after finalizing the design. It doesn't really matter if it's wood or metal if the mounting is bad and you have to unscrew the keybed to open the synth.
Darmin De'flern

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I agree about the cardboard spacers. Those are ridiculous, I feel silly everytime I have to use them, and am basically waiting for one of my band members to ask why the hell I need those.

All I'm saying is that the base being made of MDF is not in itself the problem. You say the JX can be opened without unscrewing the keybed - true, and that is great design! They should have done that on the Kronos as well. But then still the issue is not that the base is of wood because you can apparently also have a good design based on that. The issues with the keybed stem from a bad design call, or probably something they found out after finalizing the design. It doesn't really matter if it's wood or metal if the mounting is bad and you have to unscrew the keybed to open the synth.

Out of intrest where do you put the cargo spacers thinking of getting a kronos 88 or 76?
Rolang VA7, Roland G-70 Ver3, quad core dell lappi with 6gb mem, DAW = Reaper, Amplitube 2,3. Scarlett Fockesrite 18-6, Mackie 1604 mixer, Washburn status 1000 headless bass, Roland 2.1 Monitors, Sunheizer Mic & Monitor headphones, Korg Kronos 88.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: HardBoard bottom instead of metal?? Reply with quote

Dany wrote:
Edit: The OASYS-88 is the only 88 Keys flagship I know, which has a metal bottom...

Kurzweil's keyboards have all metal bottom. No hardboard there.
Dany

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HardBoard bottom instead of metal?? Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Dany wrote:
Edit: The OASYS-88 is the only 88 Keys flagship I know, which has a metal bottom...

Kurzweil's keyboards have all metal bottom. No hardboard there.

Thanks! So I know more now... Wink

-
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darmin, the spacers go between the keys and the metal bar in front of the keys. Basically it's apparently possible, if the machine gets jolted and the screws are loose enough, for the keybed to get shifted so it's against the bar, resulting in sticking keys or loud noises when playing (from hitting the bar). It's easily fixed my loosening the screws, inserting the spacers, and tightening the screws again. Still a pretty bad design.
simajanpa

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: HardBoard bottom instead of metal?? Reply with quote

simajanpa wrote:
As a pre-owner of a Kronos 73 or 88 I was reading the different posts about keybed problems, RAM update issues, random rebooting but the biggest disappointment I see with this board is that the bottom is not metal.
I have never seen a pro level keyboard from Korg, Roland or Yamaha, that didn't have one. For a $4k+ board, that just says, let's cut another corner.

If I purchased this keyboard, opened the box, and saw that bottom, I would be pissed that I spent $3800 of my hard earned money for something that, to me anyways, appeared to be cheaply made.

I've owned Korg since the DW8000, and have always loved their sound and build quality. I now own a Triton EX76 and REALLY would like to stay with a Korg product, but I may have to go with a new Motif, plus that would at least give me the option of a 76 key "synth" keybed.

Anyone else feel this way or am I just being silly about the whole thing?

Does any other manufacturer use wooden bottoms on their Pro level boards?

Well I started this thread with a simple question....which has been answered thank you very much. I'm still not sure if this has swayed my Kronos buying decision....time will tell. I guess the bottom line is always the sonic quality of the instrument and since I wouldn't be gigging with it, as long as it played well, it should be fine for a long time in my little studio.
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Eh, guys, really? A thread about the bottom of the Kronos? Between being able to create a single Combi comprising sampling, wave sequencing, analog modeling, FM synthesis, physical modeling with Karma technology, loads of FX types, and a keyboard with a metal bottom plate, i'll choose the former, thank you! Anyway, i won't go further, i think i could make enemies, which is not in my nature...

Blink
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: HardBoard bottom instead of metal?? Reply with quote

simajanpa wrote:

Well I started this thread with a simple question....which has been answered thank you very much. I'm still not sure if this has swayed my Kronos buying decision....time will tell. I guess the bottom line is always the sonic quality of the instrument and since I wouldn't be gigging with it, as long as it played well, it should be fine for a long time in my little studio.

The key takeaway point here is MDF is normal for 88-key keyboards, and it works well.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Rskeys

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:
Shocked Eh, guys, really? A thread about the bottom of the Kronos? Between being able to create a single Combi comprising sampling, wave sequencing, analog modeling, FM synthesis, physical modeling with Karma technology, loads of FX types, and a keyboard with a metal bottom plate, i'll choose the former, thank you! Anyway, i won't go further, i think i could make enemies, which is not in my nature...

Blink

I dont think there is harm to discuss the design of the machine. If we are allowed to discuss the limitacion in sdd space or ram,etc this can also be an interesting topic. I for one realized it directly interferes with the keybed fixacion. As long as this continiues to be a space for free constructive criticism i think any topic can be of interest and value IMHO.
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RsKeys,
You're quite right, and i sure don't want you or anybody else to not voice your opinions. But, IMHO, it's just a waste of time to discuss the bottom of a keyboard really, be it in MDF or metal. YMMV...

People are talking about the hassle when opening the Kronos and all, but i don't think we, the users, are supposed to open this thing in the first place. When Korg manufactured keyboards that had user-installable parts, there were compartments that were easily reachable. I didn't see anywhere that the Kronos is officially serviceable by the user.

I installed myself all the options that i bought for my Trinity, but you weren't supposed to do that. I dove in and assumed the risks.

Blink
Rskeys

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:
Hey RsKeys,
You're quite right, and i sure don't want you or anybody else to not voice your opinions. But, IMHO, it's just a waste of time to discuss the bottom of a keyboard really, be it in MDF or metal. YMMV...

People are talking about the hassle when opening the Kronos and all, but i don't think we, the users, are supposed to open this thing in the first place. When Korg manufactured keyboards that had user-installable parts, there were compartments that were easily reachable. I didn't see anywhere that the Kronos is officially serviceable by the user.

I installed myself all the options that i bought for my Trinity, but you weren't supposed to do that. I dove in and assumed the risks.

Blink

Hey Blink i hear you, assuming you r as keyboard nerd as i m we end up opening all our keyboard's sooner or latter be it for expansion,cleaning or mere curiosity,hehehhe... As for the bottom i have to be honest it doesnt really bother me that it is made of wood, but i do realize that this kind of solution in this keyboard causes shifting in the keybed. This may not occour in every unit but it occours in mine for instance. I had my keyboard serviced once becouse of keys doing weird noises and stiffness and when it came back it only took one gig to have a similar problem with one of my keys. It was only then i opted to open the keyboard and see where the problem was for myself.The keys are so close to the motherboard that a milimetrical shift may cause problems. I was surprised to see that i could move the keybed becouse it was bolted to the bottom of the keyboard. Just saying this isn´t a good design option IHMO.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: HardBoard bottom instead of metal?? Reply with quote

simajanpa wrote:

Yup, you are being silly. My Roland A90 and my Mini-Moog both have wooden bottoms and I don't consider them to be of poor build quality. Wink

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Rskeys

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HardBoard bottom instead of metal?? Reply with quote

nitecrawler wrote:
simajanpa wrote:

Yup, you are being silly. My Roland A90 and my Mini-Moog both have wooden bottoms and I don't consider them to be of poor build quality. Wink

No one said the Death Star was poorly built it did have one very stupid flaw tough,hehehehehehehe. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: