Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano vibrato?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaylahall88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Piano vibrato? Reply with quote

So, my Roland Fantom has done this very same thing and I want to know what is causing this! Suddenly, the piano sounds have a really strong, ridiculous vibrato? On the Fantom, it would sometimes load up and have this problem from the start. On the Kronos, it loads up sounding great, but as soon as I start playing anything, the vibrato starts kicking in within seconds and gets more and more intense until it is distorting and dampening the sound of the instrument. When I change modes (say from Prog to Seq, or Global to Disk, etc.), it refreshes the sound back to normal and then goes through the whole process all over again. This is so weird! Any idea what is going on? It at least took the Fantom about a year before it started doing this. The Kronos has taken all of 2-3 weeks...
.Jens

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any midi controller connected to the Kronos? Or some SPDIF equipment sending weird clocking signals?

It's the first time I hear about this issue - and if it's occuring on different pieces of equipment (even different manufacturers), but with the same user, it is most likely that it's not caused by the K (or the Fantom)...
Kaylahall88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not hooked up to a single thing except monitors and its pedal, the same as the Fantom. I'm not sure how I could possibly load the Fantom wrong (I turn the power button on, woohoo), and I don't do anything to the Korg but turn it on, switch my damper polarity and play. Where is the operator error in this?
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried removing the pedal and then starting up again, playing the sounds and seeing of the vibrato issue is still there?

Never heard of such an issue (from either Korg or Roland) so am wondering if the pedal is faulty in some way...
Kaylahall88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I really thought you might be onto something there since I use the same pedal with both, but it still does it even after both loading and playing it with pedal removed. Would it help if I tried to upload a video of what it's doing?
.Jens

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaylahall88 wrote:
Man, I really thought you might be onto something there since I use the same pedal with both, but it still does it even after both loading and playing it with pedal removed. Would it help if I tried to upload a video of what it's doing?

Sure - or at least a sound sample. BTW: I didn't initially talk about a user error - maybe it's faulty gear connected to your synths. It only seems strange if two completely different devices do the same weird stuff - It's highly improbable that one of these or both are defect.

I assume the monitors are connected to the analog outs?
Kaylahall88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are plugged into analog outs. I'm beginning to suspect it may indeed be the pedal as it has suddenly quit working altogether and the distortion has stopped for the moment. Seems too coincidental. May be time for a new pedal! Hopefully that will fix the problem...
AMR

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Piano vibrato? Reply with quote

Kaylahall88 wrote:
So, my Roland Fantom has done this very same thing and I want to know what is causing this! Suddenly, the piano sounds have a really strong, ridiculous vibrato? On the Fantom, it would sometimes load up and have this problem from the start. On the Kronos, it loads up sounding great, but as soon as I start playing anything, the vibrato starts kicking in within seconds and gets more and more intense until it is distorting and dampening the sound of the instrument. When I change modes (say from Prog to Seq, or Global to Disk, etc.), it refreshes the sound back to normal and then goes through the whole process all over again. This is so weird! Any idea what is going on? It at least took the Fantom about a year before it started doing this. The Kronos has taken all of 2-3 weeks...

Seems like a half-damper/sustain pedal with the wrong polarity set (acts like if the keys are never released after being played). This setting can be changed in the Global Mode settings.

Kind Regards,
AMR
http://www.alvaromrocha.com
Kaylahall88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I know what that is and I change it. It's not a problem of it holding out too long or too short, it's just messing with the sound of the instrument. Honestly, it doesn't make a lot of sense that the pedal would be causing it, but that seems to be the case so far. Ahh well, just gives me another excuse to go to Guitar Center Smile
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like the pedal!

If your budget allows, would be best to get a Roland and a Korg pedal - then you don't have to mess around with polarity. (That's what I have with my OASYS and JP-80).

Hope the new pedal(s) do the trick!
Kaylahall88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you cello! Helpful as always Smile
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or buy a pedal fitted with a polarity switch that can be used with both Yamaha, Roland on the one hand and Korg on the other. M-Audio and Bespeco have such models in their catalogue. THe M-Audio is the SP-2 is I remember correctly.

Personally, I do like Cello, I have a Korg DS-1H and a Yamaha FC4 which cover everything.

Last edited by Francois on Wed May 23, 2012 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kaylahall88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have the M-Audio version, it's just pretty old. I think it has actually just bitten the dust as it is no longer sustaining anything whatsoever.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you are going stereo with both instruments. Does it happen with headphones too? Check to see if it happens when you go mono. If you cna't hear the weird vibrato then, it's probably a problem with reverse polarity. Try some other cables and see if it persists.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two possibilities that I can see:

1) The anti-vibrato dampening subsystem is being affected equally by cosmic rays in the KRONOS and the Fantom.

2) It's something else common to both instruments, for example, a bad pedal or errant midi data.

Take your pick as to which sounds more feasible.

(My bet is on a bad pedal).
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: