Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias Keyboard as an external midi controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acemonvw

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Radias Keyboard as an external midi controller Reply with quote

Hey guys, I searched the forum but I'm not sure I found anything that addresses this.

What I want: Korg radias keyboard to be the midi controller to send note on to my spectralis. Here's the setup:

Radias out -> Spectralis in
Spectralis out -> Radias in
Radias thru -> Virus C

The problem is that the keyboard only sends out a signal based on the timbre I'm in. I have most of my patches to have different midi channels (2, 3, 4, and 5). So... annoyingly, the radias keyboard will only transmit a signal to the spectralis when its using a timbre that is on channel 1.

I thought that I could work around this by setting, within the timbre, PanelEdit to be on Timbre 1, this worked, until I realized that editing other timbres do not display on the lcd screen... making it really annoying if I want to change parameters because you can't do any menu diving.

It's really frustrating, any ideas? I have the spectralis sequencing both the virus and the radias... but I'd like to be able to use the radias' keyboard as my midi controller.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by acemonvw on Mon May 28, 2012 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
acemonvw

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the bottom of page 17:
"A RADIAS program consists of up to four timbres, and you can specify the MIDI channel individually for each timbre. If you’re playing the RADIAS from an external MIDI device, only the timbre(s) set to the same channel as the global channel will produce sound."

I just don't know what I'm missing. The statement above appears to be telling me the opposite of what I need to know.

It's saying that an external controller/synth needs to be set to the same MIDI channel as the timbre.

But why does the stupid radias timbre have to be set to the same channel as the external synth I'm activating?

I thought turning local control would remove this issue!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Radias transmits on the current timbre channel AND the global channel.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
acemonvw

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks X-trade.

I was actually falling asleep when I wrote that last night and I can't even figure out what the heck I was trying to say (at least in my second post).

Sadly, if I set the global channel to 1, but the timbre I'm currently on is set to 2, it won't transmit anything on channel 1... just channel 2.

I thought about buying a Virus TI keyboard to do this (and because I like the sound)... but I'm a bit nervous that every synth that's multitimbral is going to have the same problem.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried changing the convert position in Global mode?

Not sure if that'll help.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
acemonvw

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks X-trade, I'll give it a shot.

Do other synths behave this way?

It seems odd that "Global Channel" and "Local Control Off" wouldn't allow a 'note on/off' signal to go through just the global channel. I sorta thought that was the point of the global channel!
acemonvw

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing.

Nothing works.

I think it is impossible to use the radias as a master controller and still use it as a synth.

MIDI out signals will ALWAYS be controlled by the timbre you're in.
(Oddly enough, the spectralis also allows note on/off data on MIDI channel 13 as well as 1)

I tested this in MIDI monitor on my ipad, hooked up my radias and watched as, the only time the MIDI channel changed was when I changed timbres or switched the timbre's MIDI channel.

It's sad, because it would be really nice if I could use it as a master controller and synth (with a decent work-flow).
hothunkysalsa

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: It can be done. Reply with quote

Four years later, but here we are.

Turn off LocalControl in the global settings of your Radias and you're all good. Check your manual on how to do that.

Make sure you turn on USB + MIDI as well while your there, at least for my config. I've got MIDI running through an iConnect to Ableton via USB.

Radias > iConnect > USB hub > Mac Laptop > Ableton.

You still have to have the audio signal from the Radias going to a mixer of course, but this way you can use your Radias keyboard for all your soft synths in Ableton as well.

Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: