Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos piano vs LooneyLab autosampled piano
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
korgpa2xmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Kronos piano vs LooneyLab autosampled piano Reply with quote

Here is my new video for LooneyLab DNA custom made workstation Smile

jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, this is pure advertising, and not to get samples into a Kronos, but to get Kronos sounds into your own prdoduct.

Sharp should delete this post as soon as possible, looking at the forum rules.

Second, Kronos users have no problems getting exactly the same kind of autosampling for their Kronos with the help of tools like Sample Robot, without having to buy a custom made keyboard: so no Kronos user needs any of your products.
korgpa2xmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on man! It is nothing like that, i don't sell anything, as you can see on my channel, or anywhere on the internet, LooneyLab is handbuilt custom keyboard i made it for myself and i don't plan to sell it, or anything like that i am just being proud of something i built, and share that, but if you still want to remove it it's fine with me i just don't want to get missunderstood...
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I don't see this post as commercially tainted, I also didn't find any commercial website concerning the keyboard... He has the benefit of the doubt Wink

Mathia,

Why make a custom keyboard and give it a commercial name without selling it commercially ? It's confusing Wink

Can you tell us more about the custom made keyboard ? How does the sampling engine work ? How large is the sampleset that you created from the Kronos piano ?
MRedZac

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what I hear is that the sampled piano cannot compete with the Kronos original one...
Digital Mixers only from Yamaha

http://www.mediacoustics.eu

You smoke electric cigarettes ? - Looking for the best liquid to refill them ? - See this:

http://www.steamshop24.eu
korgpa2xmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i had to call it something, and i wanted people to think 'where did he buy it, what is this keyboard, what is LooneyLab' Smile I play a lot, and i play guitar and keyboards, and since always i asked myself is it possible that there are no custom keyboards since there is so many custom guitars and people that customizes guitars on their own... I work for Korg distributor and when Kronos came out, and when i saw how it's built i said: i can do that, so i did!

It is basically a PC, powerfull configuration, with a SolidStateDrive, Touch monitor etc...just like Kronos. A lot of people asked, why not just a laptop and midi controlers? Why not? Becouse when i play music a lot of people think that i just play music from a laptop and don't play at all... And the feel is just different, when you sit behind LooneyLab you just forget that it is a PC, ti feels and runs just like any other keyboard Smile

I use comercial programs like Cubase, VSTs, Brainspawn forte, Waves... i even produced this video on it. I used extreme sample converter for Kronos sampling, that is no secret...

And in the end it costed way less than Kronos, this way i try to inspire people to think outside of the box and invent, i am no engineer i just used a help of friends to build it. And when people ask finaly what is that keyboard, how does it have so much power, where did you buy it i just say i built it! And you can do it too!!!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you advertise a prototype of a coming product.
The Looneylab labeling was confusing, as mathieu pointed out.
If it's your own private project, there is nothing wrong with it.

I apologize for the misunderstanding on my side!
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of the videos I see you operate the touch screen. Did you create your own software UI or is it a basic Windows interface that you're using ?
(I'm assuming Windows because you mention a few existing programs)

A very interesting project. Although the synth looks much bigger then the Kronos... Wink

But still, a very interesting idea! There are some very good VST's around which can make this keyboard as powerful as Kronos.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
In one of the videos I see you operate the touch screen. Did you create your own software UI or is it a basic Windows interface that you're using ?
(I'm assuming Windows because you mention a few existing programs)

A very interesting project. Although the synth looks much bigger then the Kronos... Wink

But still, a very interesting idea! There are some very good VST's around which can make this keyboard as powerful as Kronos.

i can recommend this, i'm using a 24 inch touchscreen with VSTi's, cubase and the Kronos and this works like a dream system. It's a rather cheap too these days, the screen was only 280 euro.

The way it works is connecting a usb cable between the touch screen and the computer and when you use windows 7 everything works out of the box. Even the touchscreen gestures and the on screen mouse and keyboard.

the looneylab solution looks nice, i would have used a 24 inch screen if i were you, because when you are using cubase and vsti's you really need a bigger screen to get everything you need on the screen and to have a resolution that you actually can hit those little buttons of the synths. But it's a nice idea to put several components together in one box.

I have the same possibilities with my setup, although i didn't have it in one box. I can understand that you are really happy with it because your solution is portable this way.

This is my setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd23OjFZjz8

I'm still looking for a good Vesa mount so that i can tilt the screen in any angle i want, but the only vesa mount that i found was one from K&M and that one can only hold screens till 5 KG, my screen is heavier than that, so the search continues ....
korgpa2xmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Jim Knopf, i realised that no hard feelings i am actualy glad that you thought that Smile

It is Windows based works like any other DAW with midi controllers, with touch screen i took off touch screen cash register fro a lokal marketplace Smile

It is lighter than Kronos, same width, but it is thicker, becouse i did not have real idea how much space do i need inside since i first made case for keyboard, and after that all of the komponents, i was afraid of overheating, in the end it turned that it could be half thick then it is now, that was my mistake...

With all the VST's i really must say that it sounds much, much better than Kronos, Reason pianos, Ivory, NI Studio drummer, Trillian, Sylenth, Kronos simply can't compete with that, but there is a lot that Kronos does better...

You plug it in and you just play, change sounds and combis any way you like, all of the controls are allready assigned, no latency and driver issues, you don't really have to know anything about it and just play. On LooneyLab you have to work really hard to make a setup for live performances, and a lot can go wrong if you don't know what are you doing. However you can do almost anything with it, plug in external audio interface with 24 in/out and record whole band and produce right away, you have all the sampling power of this world, VST effects that i use on my vocals live, channel strips, Lexicon reverb, and so on... Can you imagine this Kronos multisample with SSL compressor, Lexicon reverb, master tape simulation, API equalizer...

But since i use LooneyLab as a second keyboard on my gigs it is perfect for me, but there is no way that it can and should be compared to any other 'hardware' keyboard becouse it is a DAW and it is not as stable as other keyboards.
korgpa2xmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrobinez wrote:

the looneylab solution looks nice, i would have used a 24 inch screen if i were you, because when you are using cubase and vsti's you really need a bigger screen to get everything you need on the screen and to have a resolution that you actually can hit those little buttons of the synths. But it's a nice idea to put several components together in one box.

I have external monitor connected to my LooneyLab for more detailed work
Wink
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korgpa2xmaster wrote:

And in the end it costed way less than Kronos,

well, that can't be true Wink

the list of sofware you mentioned alone is much more expensive than a kronos. Then you have to build the modded case and buy the computerparts like a processor, powerunit, fans, SSD, touchscreen, memory, a keyboard and midi controllers.

When you add those components with the price of the software you use, like the Waves package, the Lexicon verbs, the SSL compressors, trillian, Cubase, Sylenth, Ivory, a Windows license and much much more, then no way that a custom build computer with that specs is cheaper then a kronos!
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one would make a software that:
- hosts VST synths, preloads them
- puts all programs from all present VST's in a single database for easy browsing/searching/categorizing
- offers a simple interface to create combis
- is optimized for touch screens

you might have a pretty big winner for your keyboard. Any volunteers ?
korgpa2xmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
If one would make a software that:
- hosts VST synths, preloads them
- puts all programs from all present VST's in a single database for easy browsing/searching/categorizing
- offers a simple interface to create combis
- is optimized for touch screens

you might have a pretty big winner for your keyboard. Any volunteers ?

If anybody makes it i will give him my LooneyLab as a present, and make me another!!! I just think that peace of software is a holy grail right now!!!
korgpa2xmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrobinez wrote:

the list of sofware you mentioned alone is much more expensive than a kronos. Then you have to build the modded case and buy the computerparts like a processor, powerunit, fans, SSD, touchscreen, memory, a keyboard and midi controllers.

When you add those components with the price of the software you use, like the Waves package, the Lexicon verbs, the SSL compressors, trillian, Cubase, Sylenth, Ivory, a Windows license and much much more, then no way that a custom build computer with that specs is cheaper then a kronos!

True!!! I just had all of the programs allready because i am in production bussines also, i was wrong there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: