Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble playin multi midi channels in logic with microKorg .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ell12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Trouble playin multi midi channels in logic with microKorg . Reply with quote

Hi I have a mircoKorg and am using logic 8 at the moment and my sound card is the Traktor audio 10 from NI .My problem is i can only play one sound from the the microKorg in logic. It gives you 16 channel in logic , but if i open all 16 channels the same sound from the microKorg plays on all the channels. Say i want to play one track with strings and another with a bassline it doesn't let me, it's one sound for all the channels . I have midi cables going from my mircoKorg to the audio 10, and audio cables going from the output left and right of the mircoKorg to the inputs on the audio 10 so i don't think this is the problem its something in logic its been bugging me for weeks and i can't seem to figure it out help would be greatly appreciated , Cheers
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI is a data communication protocol which carries information about which notes are played, how hard/fast, timing/tempo sync, which program number/bank to use, and puts all of these on one of sixteen channels.

But the microKorg is only capable of playing two sounds at once, and only four notes at once. And it can only listen to one channel.

So basically it's not possible and it's the microKorg, not logic. Th microKorg is just a very basic (although admittedly great sounding) synthesizer.

On more advanced synths, you can assign different sounds to different MIDI channels, although often you have to compromise on polyphony and/or effects. Everything only has a fixed/limited processing power, so even if the micro could do this, it's four note polyphony could only allow it to respond to four MIDI channels, and only play one note on each.

The most effective method is to record the audio output in Logic into an audio track.
You can still use MIDI for sequencing, and when you press play,the notes will be send to the microKorg to play them back, and you can record the audio whilst that is happening, to 'convert' your MIDI tracks to audio tracks. Then mute the MIDI in case you need to come back to it later.

You'd have to do that at some point anyway if you want to produce a final recording that you can share with your friends. Otherwise you'd be sending them a MIDI file and they'd also need a microKorg (or a different synth) to play back the notes,
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, this is not news,

I've moved it. Pease post in the right section in the future, there are quite a few so I suggest you have a look at the index, posting in the right section is more likely to get you answers from people who have experience in that area or use the same products.

Welcome to Korgforums
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ell12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for your help that sorts out my the problem ,sorry for posting it in the wrong place i'll know for next time Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: