Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microkorg XL - 2 Timbres and 2 channel midi?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skywalkman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Microkorg XL - 2 Timbres and 2 channel midi? Reply with quote

Microkorg XL - 2 Timbres and 2 channel midi?

is it possible to control the microkorg xl 2 timbres with 2 midi channels?

EG, create a pad on one timbre, then a lead on another, connect a multitrack sequencer and bobs ur uncle and fannys your aunt!

KORG VOLCA Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Volca/

http://www.youtube.com/user/skywalkmangeforce?feature=mhee
skywalkman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you little beauty wooty!!!!!! found out how you do this in the manual!, when you change the voice to be multi, a new option comes up for the timbre 2 midi channel(in the same menu page) see below

Using the microKORG XL as a multi-timbral sound module
You can specify a different MIDI channel for each of the microKORG XL’s
two timbres and use it as a multi-timbral sound module from a connected
external MIDI sequencer.
1.Use knob [1] to select the COMMON page.
2.Use knob [2] to select “VOIC.MODE,” and then use knob [3] to select “MULTI.”
3.Specify the MIDI channel for timbre 2.
After you’ve set VOIC.MODE to MULTI, you can turn knob [2] to select the
“T2.MIDICH” parameter.
Use knob [3] to specify the MIDI channel for timbre 2.
4.To set the MIDI channel for timbre 1, select the MIDI page “MIDI CH” parameter, and use knob [3].
5.Set the MIDI channel of the connected external MIDI device.

KORG VOLCA Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Volca/

http://www.youtube.com/user/skywalkmangeforce?feature=mhee
jareddroid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: 2-timre microkorg xl Reply with quote

This sounds like exactly what I want to do, but maybe you can help me get started because it is unclear to me how to utilize this feature...

Say I want to use one of the lead patches for the microkorg xl keys, and one of the pad patches to be triggered from an external controller.
How can I create a patch (let's say under "favorites") that will incorporate the 2 sounds on the 2 different timbres (obviously on 2 different channels)?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jared
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the software editor, you can drag and drop a timbre from one program to another. So you create a new program, make it a multi, then copy a timbre from two other programs into the new one. You could do the same thing with menu diving, but that would be daft.
jareddroid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing.

Thanks for the advice, xmlguy!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help! Yes, it's very amazing. One of the best features of Korg synths like the Radias, R3, and MKXL/MKXL+ is the software editor. It isn't very obvious that you can drag and drop things in the editor, but then you learn that the little "target" symbol is a marker for drag and drop, so you can copy timbres, arpeggiators, effects and vocoder settings between windows/programs. Since the MKXL editor comes with 4 libraries of sounds, there are several hundred programs with timbres that you can mix and match to create your own. Just beware that the 8 polyphony is shared between the 2 timbres, so you might only get 4 notes at a time, or less, if the timbre uses Unison.

Because the MKXL uses 2 master FX and has no insert FX, then you have to consider how the effects will affect each timbre together. That's why the MKXL isn't ideal for use as a sound module. The R3 has two insert effects for each timbre in addition to the one master effect, so it's better for this purpose. The R3 can have each timbre with its own 2 FX, and then the master effect can just be reverb. The MKXL won't work as well because a lead patch that uses distortion and delay FX will have to have those FX on a pad timbre that is on timbre 2, while the R3 can have chorus/flange some other FX on timbre2.
jareddroid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that useful info, xmlguy! Funny, you answered my next question before I even asked- regarding copying timbres. I just spent 5 minutes copying each setting by eye-balling it and then thought - there's GOT to be a better way! I was even attempting to right-click on that target you described, as I expected you SHOuld be able to copy timbres, but I had no luck. I will mess around with it some more because based on what you've said, I must have done something wrong.

Also, great point about the polyphony, although I'm not too worried about that because I will only be triggering one or two notes with my feet (midi organ-style foot pedal) while playing leads or chords on the microkorg. The trickiest obstacle will undoubtedly be the other thing you mentioned- making compromises with the master effects.

Thanks again for your abundant help!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun!
jareddroid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: software editor help for MKXL... Reply with quote

I have been messing around with the software editor and have had great luck copying patches and dragging / dropping timbres. However I have had one little problem. The only way I have been able to save programs to my microkorg is writing them one at a time.

Since I've created a new file with my custom settings, it would be great if I could dump ALL programs at once, but I've had no success with this. I can't find any instruction manual for the software editor, so I was hoping for some help regarding this matter.

The software does recieve the programs from the microkorg xl. And, when any individual program is loaded in the computer, it copies those settings to whichever program I have selected on the knobs of the keyboard, allowing me to press "write" "write" "write" to save that one program. But, if I make a change to a timbre that I've incorporated into 8 or 16 patches, can't I tell it to transmit ALL the data and write the new data to ALL patches? The "transmit" button only sends the selected program in the software to the selected program on the keyboard.

Sorry if this sounds redundant but I wanted to be clear. Thanks for any help!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are "Receive All Programs" and "Write All Programs" under the MIDI Menu at the top of the window that do exactly what you want to do. The "Receive All Data" and "Write All Data" do the same thing, but includes the Global data in addition to all of the programs. By the way, the documentation PDF for the software editor is automatically installed into the same folder, so that might help answer some of your questions too.
jareddroid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: thanks again xmlguy Reply with quote

Wow that makes it easy! I guess I expected to see a button for every function. Silly me.

And now that I know about that .pdf, I don't think I'll be bothering you for help anymore. Haha

Thanks, once again, for all your help! Seriously, I can't thank you enough. You've help make it possible for me to take advantage of all the features I need in a very short time! I wish I could return the favor!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be pleased just to hear that you're having a ton of fun with it!
Patou Jimmy James

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Saving? Reply with quote

I have followed the instructions that you guys gave however I am still having a problem.

After making the settings, when i change sounds it reinitiallises everything to which I have to reset the process of setting the microkorg xl to multi timbre.

Furthermore, how do I set the different sounds to each different timbre?

Thanks!
Patou Jimmy James

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Saving setting? Reply with quote

I have followed the instructions that you guys gave however I am still having a problem.

After making the settings, when i change sounds it reinitiallises everything to which I have to reset the process of setting the microkorg xl to multi timbre.

Thanks!
Patou Jimmy James

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Saving setting? Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: