Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with Kronos88 - Key mapping all messed up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PainfulOptions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Problem with Kronos88 - Key mapping all messed up Reply with quote

This is my first post and this problem has rendered my beloved Kronos unplayable.

I wandered away and some idiot sat down at my instrument and messed it all up. I have no idea what he did. I upgraded to the latest OS and the problem remains.

This problem is global and messewith all programs and combis. Starting at middle C the C note and another is played. C# is the same half a note up, D and D# play a D and D# plus some other, and then it is the same notes until F# where it plays nothing at all, until it returns to C an octave higher and repeats. (something like that) I am lost, and I hate to do a factory reset, as I cannot find the disks or owner's manual. I assume there is a fix short of this.

Trying my best to fix it but I am stuck and frustrated. Thanks in advance for literally saving my Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with Kronos88 - Key mapping all messed up Reply with quote

PainfulOptions wrote:
This is my first post and this problem has rendered my beloved Kronos unplayable.

I wandered away and some idiot sat down at my instrument and messed it all up. I have no idea what he did. I upgraded to the latest OS and the problem remains.

This problem is global and messewith all programs and combis. Starting at middle C the C note and another is played. C# is the same half a note up, D and D# play a D and D# plus some other, and then it is the same notes until F# where it plays nothing at all, until it returns to C an octave higher and repeats. (something like that) I am lost, and I hate to do a factory reset, as I cannot find the disks or owner's manual. I assume there is a fix short of this.

Trying my best to fix it but I am stuck and frustrated. Thanks in advance for literally saving my Kronos.

idiots wandering on a complex keyboard while you are not there- not a good thing

You say nothing about creating your own custom programs/Combis.

If and when you do this, you should be making a simple PCG save on DISK.

IOW, always back up your work.

To retrieve your factory programs and factory combis , reload the factory
PCG on DISK.

Its easy. If you are happy with that, do a backup.

In case, I forgot to mention it, backup your files regularly.

There should be YouTubes on this or you can google the forum
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone mention to back up files regularly? Also reading at least the Operations Guide is a good idea. It has a number off "hands-on" procedures that should be done. And YouTube is full of tutorials.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User scales settings are in Global mode. Pager 783 parameter guide.

Then there is this global setting....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Osc/Timbre/Track Transpose
[Works Within Scale (for harmonies),
Transposes Scale]
This parameter determines how the Program Oscillator, Combination Timbre, and Song Track Transpose parameters interact with the Scale and Key.
Works Within Scale (for harmonies) means that transposition uses intervals within the current scale. This option works well if you are using non-equal-tempered scales and want to build parallel intervals (such as “fat fifths”) into your sounds. For example, let’s say that you are using Just Intonation in the key of C. If you transpose one of the Timbres up by 7 semitones and play a C, the result will be two notes: C, and G 2 cents sharp (the Just Intonation fifth).
~~~~~~~~~~

That is info i got from the parameter guide where it does mention a global setting(Osc/Timbre/Track Transpose) that can make one note sound out two different notes.

I think the easiest thing to do is back up the current malfunctioning set as a PCG file, and then go to the original Factory file and load it.
You should at least have the factory file where it comes from the factory stored in disk mode.
Even better if you can isolate just the global settings part of the factory file and load Global settings only. This prevents you from disturbing any custom program or combi settings you have made.

If you have any backup file at all, that has your prefered global and PCG setups, then use that file instead of the factory file. And then load only the global settings part of the file.
Because using factory file to restore global settings, means you may have to go back in for extra work to set up global settings like Live/Mute mode and others that are required to get the most out of Kronos CPU.

If this does not work, then it is complicated and other than trying to reload all factory KSC files, i would have nothing else to suggest.

I hope the bugger didn’t go in and erase parts of your backup files.

Hopefully it is just the Global User scales and “Osc/Timbre/Track Transpose” settings, all in global mode.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your symptoms sound like a wonky User Scales setting. Let's fix that.

1) Go to GLOBAL mode
2) Select the Controllers/Scales tab
3) Then select the Scales tab

Now take a look at this page. By default, everything should have values of 0. If you see anything else, change them all back to 0.

Hopefully your Kronos is working normally now.

Last edited by psionic311 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get your Kronos back to normal, let's do a Save.

1) Go to DISK mode.
2) Select the Save tab. Note that right above that it shows you the current selected drive. If you had inserted a USB stick into the Kronos, you could then use the Drive Select to select the USB stick. For now, just leave it on the Internal Hard Disk.
3) Touch the upper right dropdown box, and select Save All.
4) In the pop up box, change the default name of NEWFILE to something else more meaningful to you. I like to save everything montly, so when I save I just use the month and day, like Feb 14.*
5) Press OK, and now everything is saved.

If you ever need to revert to a backed up state, you would come back here to DISK mode and from the Load tab, find the name of your PCG you want to restore. The PCG contains all your Programs, Combis, and Global info.

* To keep everything organized if you intend to back up regularly, you can create folders (directories) to hold all those files created during a Save. I have folders called 2014, 2015, 2016, etc. Within those are folders named for the months -- JAN, FEB, MAR, etc. When it's time to do a monthly backup I navigate to the month folder first, then do a Save All.

HTH
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/z5rRZdiu1UE
Sabotage. “I can’t stand it, i know you planned it” Sabotage!

Another line in the lyrics. Goes like this:
“So listen up cause you can’t say nothin, you shut me down with the push of a button”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: