Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbendorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

My Oasys HD failed. I took it to service center. Paid 1500 to get new screen and HD. Now it freezes after a few minuts. With load buzzing.
Contacted Korg support and they keep blowing me off. I tryed asking them for four cd set, they blew me off no reply. Got a four cdnset frOmbanother user. Fails on loading demo stuff on 4cd. Tryed loading sound sets again from 2 CD Ex1. Fails with error 129 . If i plug in USB Stic entire keyboard locks up.
Service center said Korg was impossible to work with took 3 mOnths to get parts. Does anyone know where or how to get it fixed? Or how to make Korg repair it? Or even answer my support emails? All I get is automated responce.

I live in Ventura CA USA if you know a good service center or how to get new HD or how to run diagnostics Please help.

Kind Regards
BB
If it ain't broke...fix it! Because Korg put #2 Phillips heads on it.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes Shocked

Suggest you return your O to the repair centre as the HD replacement should be under warranty of some kind. You should ask them what tests they did to satisfy themselves that unit was fully operational. (and certainly for $1500 I would expect some warranty and testing!)

I'm assuming this is all recent (ie the repair) so you should have some comeback.

Unlike Korg to be as unresponsive as that. As has been suggested many times before on these boards, it is always worth picking up the phone (may take several attempts to get through) and then explain your situation.

Good luck and hope you get it back to its former glory soon!
bbendorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

Yea I will try to wait on hold and find out how to send to Korg. I would pay whatever to get it back to factory. I found service Manuel and key combos to enter diagnostics on this forum!!! Great place others have been where I am and worked out issues.

Thank you for your reply Very Happy
t_tangent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your serious bad luck.

The following link might be of interest re hard drives and restoring them. At least from what it says this should be possible although you do need the resore cds.

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7506

Hope that helps. I am sure there also used to be a thread on Korgforums showing how to replace a HD and with photos showing the process, but I cant find it now. Maybe someone else can help.

Hope you manage to get it sorted soon.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB,

I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles. Firstly, while you may feel isolated and scammed right now, please be patient - you will get your OASYS sorted eventually despite perhaps needing more time and effort.

I have to say, I would not do any DIY work, or have any other service centre look at the OASYS except with the service centre you've dealt with to date.

When you say service centre – do you mean official Korg service centre? If so, then they simply cannot ignore you. You spent a lot of money and that was for the job to be done correctly. You seem (from your post) to feel you've lost any further right for recourse and that's not the case - you have every right to expect the OASYS to now work and should pursue all future dealings with that right and expectation in mind. The key then is to follow all available paths, politely, firmly and relentlessly, until you get a response.

Even if not a Korg Service centre; the same is the case and I’m assuming you have consumer rights and that for $1500, and the job not done, you have significant grounds to pursue a case via you local legal consumer rights laws.

I realise this is probably not a path you want to follow; but I still recommend you enquire as to those rights / laws and then, truly politely but firmly, go back to the service centre to try to reason with them one last time and if not pursue your legal case.

Even if the service centre is one person doing this on their own, you could seriously jeopardise their livelihood with legal action and usually it does not go that far in any case.

But if this was done from a Korg Service Centre, then simply go up the chain of command, firmly but politely, until you get the correct response which is – resolutely – for $1500 – a fully working OASYS. They cannot ignore you - it's someone at a particular level acting the maggot, and you need to find how to bypass them and go up one nothc in the chain of command.

The key to this is to be patient and firm but polite – appeal to the better nature and if they do not respond then use the not inconsiderable (if frustrating to use) legal paths available to you for small complaints / consumer rights.

If all else fails, then I recommend that you try to diagnose the extend of remaining issues and then do a lot of research / homework to find a local ultra-reliable, non-nonsense and really smart synth repair guru and have them finish the job at a reasonable cost. But really do your homework on finding someone who is, as said, ultra sharp and with a great reputation. I have several contacts like that in Dublin (Ireland) and even send my vintage snths to stunningly talented an restorer in London who also has a worldwide reputation but who is also outrageously nice and squarely reasonable in costs and charges. Such people exist but you need to spend time finding them in your area. Call into music shops and ask who they use - but don't go to the first one, try to find a number of them and you'll eventually hone in on the very best in your localty / state.

Remember too - the OASYS is built to work, and built to last, and you will get it back but be patient. It can be expensive, but the name of the game is patience and calm pursuit - and you will resolutely get there.

Wishing you the best of luck on this issue.

Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB -

I've just reread you post and see you say it WAS Korg USA.

BB- as outlined in my long post - you have EVERY right in your favour in this instance.

This is someone in Korg USA acting the maggot. Simply get onto the service centre by phone and ask to speak to the complaints department or their superior. Descripe the situation to them - again firmly but politely.

You should have received a fully working OASYS back from them; and ultimaltey they will respond accoringly if you pursue the correct channels.

Again - pursue all communications with that expectation. It's your right. They have to resolve this for you.

Kevin.
bbendorf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Ok I found the service manuals on the forum here. Ran diagnostics. IP: error What ever that is??

I called Korg and listened to music for a while and got frustrated and decided to try it when i have a few hrs.

What I did find out on the Karma site is that i need the 4 CD set of the ORIGINAL 1.1 version software to install first then upgrade it to 1.3
I have 4 CD set of version 1.3.3 and it fails on ERROR 129 "Cant load Demo" on last CD.

I found out that EX3 Has no samples but shows installed and authorized.
ALso found on KArma's site that other users state the EX3 Exspansion sounds and guid download from Korg User.net is currupted!! Embarassed

I downloaded the 2 CD set to install EX3 Sounds and gets failure error 129 straight away. Evil or Very Mad

Also the Karma is not up to date and need to figure out where to download Karma update.

My Oasys will play as long as no programs or patches that use Karma or EX3 is loaded.

If i try to go in global and check load EX3 and "Apply" get "Load Error" "Failure"

My Oasys will freeze when i plug in a USB stick.

The Service center is kind, and frustrated also. They said that Korg will not help them. nor do they return his phone calls either.

They seem to have closed Support for Oasys now. and Parts are scarce.

Maybe a legal letter Korg putting them on notice that if they do not fix my Oasys that is less than 3 years old, I will Sue them!!.
That seems to be the only solution, unless other users can send links to 4 CD 1.1 setup disk. They will losse allot in small claims here in California using the Cunsumer protection and electronic applice act!!!!

It is really sad that Korg just put us "Elite" Oasys users out to pasture.

They did send a personal letter, that i will use if I go to court that states they will continue to "Support" the oasys in repairs and parts. Rolling Eyes

This is a un-needed mess. Korg created it. Surprised that they would not support there service centers for repair. It is going on 4 months now my Oasys has been down. Shocked Shocked

I am sure if Korg would just return my call, or even send me the CD set and instructions how to start from scratch with a new re-formatted HD and all the steps and CD's then this would be fixed.

I would assume the USB issue is not hardware but the drivers are missing because I do not have the 1.1 four cd Set only the 1.3.3.

At Karma the guys lay out the LAW how to re-up your Oasys:

1. boot from 1.1 four cd set
2. re format and install all the OS and Factory restore, demos
3. Run EX3 2 CD sound Expansion set
4. Authorize all the sound sets
5. Upgrade os with 1.3.3 CD
6. Update Karma
Enjoy.

Can't seem to get jack @#doodle from Korg but Retro music on hold from some third rate composer.
Thanks for all the help.

I will keep you updated!!

The key seq for diagnostics on Oasys is
"EXIT,2,ENTER,FUNCTION" in that seq and hold them all down until cmd prompt black screen comes.

WRITE THAT DOWN !!! You will need it some day.

Kind Regards,
B
razzaq1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idle curiosity....
How much RAM do you have in the OASYS, anf if 2 sticks are they a matched pair?
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbendorf, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I don't have time to study this thread in detail, so I'm unable to answer all your questions, but I wanted to correct a couple of things that you seem to have some misinformation about.

Regarding the 4-CD set. You DO NOT need to load ver 1.1.0. Any 4-CD set of ver 1.1 or later will perform the same tasks. Since you already have a 4-CD set of ver 1.3.3, you don't need to obtain anything earlier. And that means that you don't have to upgrade to 1.3.3. afterwards, since you already have it installed.

This is a common misconception. The support information following the release of ver 1.1 has been regurgitated so often, but if you check Korg's latest docs, they advise to load the 4-CD set of 1.1 OR LATER.

I don't know why you have a problem with the 4th CD - perhaps it only relates to the demo songs, and so isn't important? Your Oasys now boots up and largely works, it seems.

Regarding the EXs3 raw samples. I'm not sure why you're having a problem, but this is not related to the operating system. Make sure that you're following the instructions related to burning the CD to the letter. I would suggest that you recheck the instructions again, and recheck your procedure for burning the CD.

Regarding "6. Update Karma". Karma is part of the operating system. It's not possible to update Karma separately. If you power up, and the display shows "ver 1.3.3." (or any version at all, for that matter), then Karma is installed, and up and running. Perhaps you need to reload the Factory Programs and Combinations? (Factory.pcg) Save your own data before doing so, of course.

Regarding your USB stick. Try another one, or seek out some of the threads on this subject. Problems relating to USB devices almost always do not indicate a problem with the Oasys itself.

I hope this is of some help. It sounds as though you're almost there, since the Oasys boots up, and most things are working. I'm sure that if you persist with Korg USA, all will be resolved.

jg::
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: