Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Program 000 Kronos Grand German defect in one note?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bguenthe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Program 000 Kronos Grand German defect in one note? Reply with quote

Hello,

just played a bit with my new Korg Kronos I hear a bad noise when playing the note C#2 in the program 000 German Grand Kronos (I have the 73 key version). The "bad noise" is a high sound beneth the piano. You can hear it really clear when you play the key softly.

Can anyone please check this on his own kronos. I want to excluse that my kronos is defekt.

Thanks and regards

Bernd
.Jens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not confirmed here...
bguenthe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I asked my girlfried; She can't hear it the first time, but with headphones she is also able to hear it. It is not so easy to hear.

I tried it via midi-connection (it was the c#3 on the programm that I used and it was the same. So I think it is an error in the sampling (if this is possible).
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to disable the damper resonance... see if the bad noise disappear..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
bguenthe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
try to disable the damper resonance... see if the bad noise disappear..

No change Sad

Just to make it clear. It's the 4'th black key from the left. I have a 73 keys version and you can it hear very good with headphones.

Can please anyone (else) tried this on his own kronos

Thanks

Bernd
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about if you turn down the mechanical sounds and release sounds?
bguenthe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
How about if you turn down the mechanical sounds and release sounds?

nope
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it's because the high sample is sounding.. try to lower the velocity bias, or try different SGX-1 program (for example, dark german grand).

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
bguenthe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

lowering the the velocity bias helps a little bit. But the "high sample sounding" is still present.

Using the key transpose feature in the global settings the "bad noise" shifts with the transposing, so I'm shure it is a bad sampling. I will check different Kronos on wednesday at my local store.

Bernd
Ev1ldead7272

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Recieved my Kronos 61 last tuesday and I hear the exact noise on c#2 on the German piano...to my ears it sounds like a metallic noise mixed with the note, i noticed it straight away as soon as I hit that key.
I've tried reloading the factory sounds off the DVD which comes with the keyboard but i still hear it, so my only conclusion is that it's the actual sample as I hear it on all of the German pianos , the Japanese pianos are fine.
If you could let me know how you get on with the Kronos at your local store and if that sounds the same that would be great.

Regards Nathaniel.
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a funny thing.. first i have to agree that the factory kronos German grand really sound PLASTIC... i gotta be honest here... i've saw a lot of youtube videos, and they all sound PLASTIC... if you didn't know what a plastic sound in my ears, check this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v417nkB82UQ
after a while, i found out it only occurs on german grand (at least very badly)... any german grand d1,d2,d3, s, and bright (except the dark german grand series) will make the "bad noise", especially on high sample... but you should expect that on a real grand... i assume that's the sound if you hit the piano keys VERY HARD... however, it sounds PLASTIC and annoying

now the thing i did, i create my own piano patch... you might want to try this Twisted Evil
1. go to program mode on kronos german grand, touch the piano
2. now select the piano type (the base patch) either from german grand dark 1,2,3, or any stretch tune version of it (with letter "s"), but i do highly recommended that you use german grand dark 2, because 1 is too dark, and 3 is little bit bright
3. if you had problem on reaching high velocity with your keybed, set the velocity bias between 50-70
4. set the lid between 60-80
5. set the damper resonance to +3
6. last, replace the MFX "o-verb" with "reverb hall"... adjust the reverb within your taste (i reduce the reverb time between 1-2 secs)'

don't forget to save it

my own piano here NEVER let's me down... on gig, or playing classical music, it just sounds right.. without those annoying "bad" noise..
you can tweak it to your personal taste.. if the bad noise still occurs, you could use german grand dark 1 as your base patch..

bguenthe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thank you Nathaniel for confirming the "bad noise".

The point is, that I like the sound of the German Grand very much. For me it sounds fantastic, but from now on with one exception. I'm sure (thank again Nathaniel) that there is a bug in the sampling of the c#2 in SGX-1 German Grand Pianos (all of them). The Japanese Pianos are fine.

To verify: Go to Programm, choose Program 000 Kronos German Grand and play the c#2 (4'th black key from the left, 73 Key Version). Play it softly and you will hear a "bad noise" mixed in the piano sampling.

So I will go to my local dealer tomorrow, hear I their Kronos also have the bug and then asked my dealer for assistence to submit a bug report to Korg.

See you soon

Bernd
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:

now the thing i did, i create my own piano patch... you might want to try this Twisted Evil
1. go to program mode on kronos german grand, touch the piano
2. now select the piano type (the base patch) either from german grand dark 1,2,3, or any stretch tune version of it (with letter "s"), but i do highly recommended that you use german grand dark 2, because 1 is too dark, and 3 is little bit bright
3. if you had problem on reaching high velocity with your keybed, set the velocity bias between 50-70
4. set the lid between 60-80
5. set the damper resonance to +3
6. last, replace the MFX "o-verb" with "reverb hall"... adjust the reverb within your taste (i reduce the reverb time between 1-2 secs)'

Thanks, 1jordyzzz.

I will try this, when I get my Kronos 88.

Lawrence
Ev1ldead7272

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
A quick update, I was on the phone this afternoon to one of the sales guys who works at production room and i explained the problem concerning the c#2 key whilst playing the German grand piano..and asked if he could possibly do a test on the kronos keyboards they have on demo to see if he could replicate the problem and hear the noise.
He tried all three models and he did infact notice that the c#2 note sounded strange compaired to the rest of the keys, though it seems it's easier to hear through a decent pair of headphones than when listening through monitors as he said he couldn't hear it then.
So it would seem there is something slightly off with the sample...though having never heard an actual German grand piano it's hard to say if it happened whilst it was being sampled or if it's just a natural characteristic of the instrument.
Anyway he's going to have a word with korg and see if he can shed any further light on the matter so I'll keep you updated.

1jordyzzz........thanks for the piano patch I will try that.
AMR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to have a slightly longer (so very slight) micro-release "resonant" period but I have to say that sounds natural, I personally don't feel there's nothing strange or artificial about that resonant tail - pianos tend to do that - a lot, at many notes, some are more sympathetic than others and some hammers go a bit more lenght or less weight on their way to smooth the strings... Then again, I'm not a perfeccionist - yet.

Kind Regards,
AMR
http://www.alvaromrocha.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: