Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best affordable performance keyboard/workstation is Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
derek4u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Best affordable performance keyboard/workstation is Kronos Reply with quote

I have vacillated on this subject, liking so much the Yamaha Motif guitar sounds, but, in the end, what tipped the scales for me may not for everyone. I have wanted for a long time to be able to use stellar sampled brass ensembles for performance purposes, and now can, because of the KARO expansion library, KSL. It features many terrific brass ensembles; my favorites are the EWF ones. I also bought and use Korg's Legendary Strings, which is awesome, too. I wonder if Korg appreciates that at least a few of us might opt for a Motif were Yamaha to make available such sounds, too. Here's hoping for an EXs library of sampled, not modeled, electric guitar sounds from Korg or KARO before long...

Love the Kronos in general, but really did consider switching it out, too--simply can't go back to synth brass after the EWF sound.

Be well, everyone.
Spacenorman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious ... which of the Karo libraruies contains the EWF brass ensembles that you're talking about? I scanned the list of libraries on the Korg website ... but didn't see anything that appears to be focused on brass.
derek4u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: KARO library named "Karo Symphonic Library" Reply with quote

If I recall, the library I have is "Karo Symphonic Library," KSL. It is very large. I don't know what is listed in any PDF instrument list, but I have, in my Karo Symphonic ensemble, solo and ensemble brass, woodwind, and strings.

EWF, of course, indicates "Earth, Wind, and Fire." Also featured is a "Blood, Sweat and Tears" ensemble or two, but I rarely even listen to those.

I have, since uploading this library, over-written some of the included instruments, carefully and very selectively, to allow my Kronos to host other libraries, notably Austrian Piano and Legendary Strings. KSL is massive, and I ended up needing to sacrifice parts of it to also enjoy and use other libraries.

You must have the max possible memory to do all this--think it is 3 GB--I am computer naive, but recall that as the max capacity of the Kronos.

If sampled guitars come available, I will selectively over-write, again. Cheers.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in regards to your last statement....

I think it would be awesome to sit down and pull out ONLY the samples that you need/want within a certain library...

for example: instead of using the entire 700 mb of the legendary strings, someone could sit down and ONLY load the cello and viola samples and leave everything else out.

this would cut down on the required sample space and allow you to load other things that you would need more. if the violins on the kronos (by default) are fine in your eyes, then you have no need for the legendary string violins. so the space they are taking up is kinda wasted

(this is all just an example of the concept that I see...)

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
derek4u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Absolutely-- Reply with quote

I do agree, and might have been smart to do that; may attempt to work out a reconfiguration of libraries/sounds in banks at some point.

I didn't mention--I also purchased the KARO vintage organ library--this models sounds using Kronos engines, and not very well, to my taste--for recording, I like my sampled B-3 sounds in Komplete 8 Ultimate.

Great that you also own a Motif--maybe eventually, for me.

My lone synth is Kronos 88--use a 2011 iMac for recording, Pro Tools 9, recent MBox.

Miktek CV-4 for recording vocals--uneatable value, and only vocal mic you'll need to buy.

Want much better pre-amp/interface. I lust for MANY virtual instruments.

Have lots of EWQL stuff--want Symphobia 2, Mach 5 3, etc.

Truly haven't come close to exploring all of Komplete 8--another incredible value.

Most exciting song project, currently is: setting a set of ten classics of English-language poetry to original music, with song-writing partner. Rewarding, and hopefully may ultimately attract interest of label, or we'll self-produce/promote. I write five, partner five, as well. Don't sing well, either of us--paying area vocalists for performances. (I take singing lessons.) Gigging now at four joints locally, myself--in one rock-funk combo, too, which is gigging at only one place, for now. Really happy with work so far on Poem-Project. Working on lyric skills of my own--huge Townes Van Zandt and Elvis Costello fan, myself.

Thanks a lot for your comments--very nice dialoguing with you.
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey derek,
The Brass library that Karo uses in their KSL is the Korg Brass and Woodwinds that comes with every Kronos.

Blink
derek4u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: I'll verify--thanks for letting me know, in any case-- Reply with quote

Are you certain? I only know I am very impressed with what is identified as "EWF Brass," "EWF Octave Brass," etc., in Karo KSL. I assumed these were utterly distinct, and only with the Karo ensemble. I was only at all, and not terribly, impressed with one brass ensemble that was in the Kronos out-of-the-box, and it was not called, "EWF" anything, just something like "Pop Brass 1" or something. The "EWF" ensembles sound so much better, to me, than any brass I got familiar with our-of-the-box. So do solo brass and woodwind sounds, such as "Jazz Trumpet," "Herbie's Trumpet," the sax sounds in KARO, and so on. I am not saying you are wrong, but why would KARO make available for purchase sounds which were identical to some that were included? It makes no sense, and I don't know why either there would be the attached nomenclature distinct to the KARO library, ("EWF Brass," e.g.), or why KARO would post in their literature the information about having sampled so carefully in Germany, etc. I find myself very suspicious, at this point, of the veracity of your claim, but just owing to my experience of the KARO sounds I use and like so much. They sound authentic, no trace of synth, versus anything I heard in my Kronos out-of-the-box.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:
Hey derek,
The Brass library that Karo uses in their KSL is the Korg Brass and Woodwinds that comes with every Kronos.

Blink

huh?

YouTube -

Facebook -

derek4u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Confused by your post, "huh?" Reply with quote

Can't explain myself--don't know if you are struggling to interpret what I wrote, disagree, are simply confused generally by plain language, are minus a significant number of keys on your computer keyboard, or what--I have no idea how to respond, and can't know what you wish to ask, challenge, whatever--I am baffled, and feel my immediately previous post was easy for anyone with decent English skills to understand....

Take good care--be well--and elaborate your question to me if you like--when I have time, I'll try to post a response, but can't know your problem, from no more than, "huh?'
derek4u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Apology to Apex-- Reply with quote

I think I understand--you are as baffled by Blink"s post as myself--I apologize...

Yes, I am not persuaded that the KARO KSL is constituted in any part of sounds which come anyway with the Kronos as is...

Thank you...
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused by your post, "huh?" Reply with quote

derek4u wrote:
Can't explain myself--don't know if you are struggling to interpret what I wrote, disagree, are simply confused generally by plain language, are minus a significant number of keys on your computer keyboard, or what--I have no idea how to respond, and can't know what you wish to ask, challenge, whatever--I am baffled, and feel my immediately previous post was easy for anyone with decent English skills to understand....

Take good care--be well--and elaborate your question to me if you like--when I have time, I'll try to post a response, but can't know your problem, from no more than, "huh?'

not sure if you know it or not... but I'm sure you just lost a lot of respect on these forums by that single statement you just made to me. and so early in your time here too...

YouTube -

Facebook -

derek4u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Knee-jerk response, but DID apologize-- Reply with quote

Apex,

I may well endure, lost respect notwithstanding, and if I am now minus that respect forever owing to this sort of mistake, and in spite of an apology, I will ponder only briefly the actual value to attach to the respect...I can't be, if my getting a bit testy in defense of an earlier post and making an honest mistake which I apologized for, persuaded that it was in that event--if you are correct-- much rational, anyway, nor probably that you speak for it pro or con--though you well may--I don't know the social structure here.

My purpose in posting, lastly, was not initially to acquire respect from Kronos owners, anyway--it was to engage in interesting and fun dialogue...which had been my experience so far...

I became a tad sarcastic, was hasty, knee-jerk-defensive, and in the wrong--but apologized, and acknowledged things as they are.

My last word, since I still respect myself in any case, is to reiterate my apology, and also, "Be well..."

Derek
derek4u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: --- Reply with quote

I appreciate that how one comports oneself on these forums affects how rewarding, or not, the experience of dialogue here will be. I appreciate that misunderstanding you, and also becoming defensive, does not speak well for me as participant here. Since my apology was sincere, that effort to right things does, in fact, speak well for me. My motivations for participating so far have generally been in pursuit of opinion and perspective, with the aim of addressing issues with my axe or making purchase evaluations. Today I posted just to affirm Kronos as my ultimate choice of workstation. If, through continued participation at these forums, I come to feel that posting here is typically competitive, an inkling I am coming in small measure to feel, that, as well, will cause me to question the social value of the forums. I can get that, in spades, at YouTube, and have tired of that hobby, pretty much. I do not question at all the value of these forums as source of perspective and information: they help. But: your alert to me that I would have lost respect, early in my "career" as Korg Forum poster, seems grandiose, and retributive, to me. I promise, to you and myself, to try to be more mindful, in further posts--I hope to enjoy occasional exchanges with fellow musicians. But: to keep realistic perspective on things, I also take your alert with a grain of salt...we are not addressing the U.N., here.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
blinkofanI wrote:
Hey derek,

Blink

huh?

True. EXs 3 - wood and brass. I have the KSL on the OASYS and they need EXs 3 to sound out - standard on the K. FYI - I have to unload EXs 2 (piano) for KSL to load properly - but that is because of the max 2Gb RAM for the OASYS.

Or maybe your 'huh?' meant something else? - apologies in advance if I misunderstood!
derek4u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: I seem to have been incorrect--also, general apology Reply with quote

There are 2 posts, now, contradicting my understanding of things--I seem to be wrong in my original understanding. For my purposes, I will likely continue to use the brass ensemble called "EWF Brass," in the Karo Library, but hope the posts which counter my understanding are right--in that event, I could be free to overwrite the "EWF" sounds and find identical sounds elsewhere in my Kronos, so as to then have more space for additional sounds at some point, if I understand these posts.

My apologies to any and all concerned for the extent to which I compromised their experience at the forums today--I didn't intend any such thing--initially--in posting just that I plan to keep my Kronos as sole keyboard, and will get a Motif only if as addition in my line-up.

Be well, everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: