Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg kronos youtube recording (pianomanchuck please help)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Korg kronos youtube recording (pianomanchuck please help) Reply with quote

hey all, i'm planning on doing some piano covers and sound shootout of kronos on youtube.. i now (only) have a logitech USB webcam (which is decent, but will do the job).. now my concern is, how do you get such very nice audio quality recording?? use interface?? how do you link the audio input to the video.. i'm looking for greatest audio quality possible (even if the quality will be cut down by youtube, at least i'll have a great video archive)

i'm looking at the quality of pianomanchuck videos (or maybe better) if pianomanchuck could help me here??

so anyone could give me some instructions and list of equipment (not too costly please) and also software?

thanks before Very Happy

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how pianomanchuck does his videos, but you can record your keyboard performance into your DAW. Then, either you could import the video you just captured in your DAW (If it supports Video), or you could bounce your audio track/tracks to a stereo track, and import that into your Video Editor software. Either way, you can easily sync the audio and video.

Or, if your camera has audio inputs, you can also feed the mixer directly into the camera. I would just use a DAW to record the audio, and some kind of video editor software to do this.

1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what software (video editor and DAW) did you used??

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
what software (video editor and DAW) did you used??

Pro Tools For Audio

Adobe Element for Video

But any other DAW or Vide software would do.

1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so when recording audio, do we need interface or record from the analog input from computer is enough?? or can i connect USB to protools (or any daw, i'm using nuendo), and transmit audio from USB? is that possible?

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
so when recording audio, do we need interface or record from the analog input from computer is enough?? or can i connect USB to protools (or any daw, i'm using nuendo), and transmit audio from USB? is that possible?

You will get a far better quality, if you use a dedicated audio interface. (Firewire or USB )

apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how easy is it to sync audio and video?

and when I tried to record audio directly into my video camera (with a mic input), I got all kinds of distortion etc.. from the audio coming in. and it was no matter how low I had the input set. I was reading somewhere about it being because of the line to mic signal conversion or something like that...

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
how easy is it to sync audio and video?

and when I tried to record audio directly into my video camera (with a mic input), I got all kinds of distortion etc.. from the audio coming in. and it was no matter how low I had the input set. I was reading somewhere about it being because of the line to mic signal conversion or something like that...

Some cameras have line level audio inputs, and can be set to record mono or stereo ... .

Syncing audio and video should take less than 5 seconds! As long as your recorded audio matches the performance recorded by the camera, it's piece of cake.

Let's say you record your song 5 times, and you kind of like take 5 better. Then, you must try to sync the audio and video of the same take. Well, i guess this is just too obvious.

One little tip: when you're recording directly into your DAW, let the camera capture the Audio as well. So now you have two audio track. One captured by the camera, and one high quality track recorded in pro tools or whatever.

so you end up with 3 tracks:

1) video track
2) audio track (Camera )
3) audio track (DAW)

So, when you import the video into the editing software or DAW, you can use the audio track attached to it (the one recorded by the camera) as a reference, as it's in a perfect sync with the video already.
This is even more important, in case if your DAW doesnt' give you an option to edit by frame. In any case, you can just kind of eyeball the starting point of the audio track (Cam version), and use that as an anchor to sync the high quality audio track. Then, you can mute the other one ,and just have the clean track, or if you like to have little bit of the room, or instrument noise, then, you can mix the two ...etc. Extremely easy to do.

1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Assyrianpianist !
any suggestion on audio interface between 100-300 price range??? more inputs the better...

CoreyMast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoom H4n Check on Ebay and you can probably hit your budget. Or just get a Zoom Q3Hd and that will give you a decent video for your budget. H4n can be used as an interface though while I don't believe the q3 can, Look it up though great products.

Alesis Andromeda A6, Kronos 88

www.coreymast.com
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoreyMast wrote:
Zoom H4n Check on Ebay and you can probably hit your budget. Or just get a Zoom Q3Hd and that will give you a decent video for your budget. H4n can be used as an interface though while I don't believe the q3 can, Look it up though great products.

it's great product... however, it's like having a half camera and half interface quality... i'd like a whole interface only in one product.. any suggestion??

CoreyMast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. H4n - 2 balanced inputs Zoom R16 - 8 inputs, Motu works well. Tascam and Roland have similar products. Most of those record onto SD cards but can also record over usb as an interface.

Tons of stuff out there just read reviews and pick one. Can't wait to hear your stuff!

www.coreymast.com
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks corey! i'm looking forward to put it on youtube Very Happy
anyway, i've bought focusrite scarlett 18i6 interface (same as darmindeflern)... i'll start recording tonight Very Happy
'

CoreyMast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice unit. Good choice!

www.coreymast.com
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few ways to do this, but basically they're similar. Always, always, ALWAYS record your audio separately! Kronos Line Out's to your Sound Card In will work just fine. Fine tune it if you need to in your DAW.
You'll need Movie or Video editing software. Read in your video (which will consist of both a video and an audio track) into that software. Next read in your audio track that you recorded separately. Align both audio tracks (the video will move with the audio track) and then delete the audio track that the videocamera recorded. Voila! I would NOT recommend a webcam, you're much better off with a dedicated videocam with a preset frame rate, and a known video format... otherwise you'll experience that dreaded video drift! In a nutshell, you're recording video and audio separately, and using movie or video editing software to tie everything together. Can't help you much past this point, but this should get you started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: