Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External Midi Control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: External Midi Control Reply with quote

I have a midi control question: I recently went to a 2 keyboard rig (Triton Studio88 and Kronos61). With 1 keyboard rig it was not a problem using my VS880 to control the sequencer in the Studio88. Now I would like to have the VS880 control the Kronos seqneucer and use the Studio88 as a (sometimes) controller of the Kronos. I tried VS880 midi out to Triton midi in and Triton thru to Kronos midi in and that did not work. Also tried VS880 midi out to Triton midi thru and the Triton midi out to Krono midi in, that did not work either.

I would sincerly appreciate anyone's advice on how I can accomplish this.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: HELP - Need forum advice Reply with quote

I put this on the forum a couple of days ago - 47 people read it but no one gave advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a midi control question: I recently went to a 2 keyboard rig (Triton Studio88 and Kronos61). With 1 keyboard rig it was not a problem using my VS880 to control the sequencer in the Studio88. Now I would like to have the VS880 control the Kronos seqneucer and use the Studio88 as a (sometimes) controller of the Kronos. I tried VS880 midi out to Triton midi in and Triton thru to Kronos midi in and that did not work. Also tried VS880 midi out to Triton midi thru and the Triton midi out to Kronos midi in, that did not work either.

I would sincerly appreciate anyone's advice on how I can accomplish this.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, you can't do this. Here is why:
- Let's say you have 3 MIDI equipments: A, B, C
- You connect A MIDI out -> B MIDI In
- You connect B MIDI Thru -> C MIDI In

This setup makes equipment A to be the master controller. Generally speaking (aside SysEx and MIDI ID) this means that equipment B and equipment C will both listen to equipment A because: B is directly connected to A and C is receiving a copy of the messages transmitted by A. The MIDI thru port will usually have an exact copy of the data received at MIDI In and it never includes additional messages generated by other equipment (B in this example). Those messages generated by equipment B go always to MIDI Out, never get mixed at MIDI Thru. Also, MIDI Out never has a copy of the data received at MIDI In (equipment A in the example) because MIDI Thru is designed just for that.

There are exceptions to this: some equipments allow to mix MIDI In and internal messages to MIDI Out, but Triton is not on that list Sad

You need a MIDI Hub allowing you to mix two incoming signals (from equipment A and equipment B) and send them on a single MIDI port to equipment C. Other option: check if the VS880 has the ability to mix MIDI In and internal messages to MIDI Out or MIDI Thru.

Lastly, Kronos indeed can mix MIDI In and internal messages by using KARMA. You can configure KARMA to receive on certain MIDI Channel (received at MIDI In) and then redirect the data to other MIDI Channel (which will now go to MIDI Out) This scenario is usually found on Combis.
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for help - greatly appreciated - I will get a mid hub, merge or whatever my contact at Sweetwater has.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very satisfied with MOTU Micro Express 2 USB.

Not cheap, but a kind of swiss knife for midi connections, and running in standalone mode as well (without having to be connected to a PC-DAW or software, like cheaper midi routers/mergers require).
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will look at that component, as I need high quality dependable gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: