Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to setup Kronos in Garageband?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GooseK87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: How to setup Kronos in Garageband? Reply with quote

Hi all, I apologize for this overly simplistic question, but I have been having difficulty setting up my Kronos within Garageband so that I can record it through MIDI. So I was hoping that someone smarter than me out here wouldn't mind laying out a clear step by step of how to safely setup the Kronos to record on a MIDI track in Garageband:
My Kronos is connected to my Mac by USB, and shows up as "Korg Kronos" in the Software Instrument section, under Sound Generator.
The problem is: while I am able to select the Kronos for this MIDI track, no sound is registering within Garageband...
I'm really excited about recording the Kronos directly into MIDI with Garageband, but I just cannot figure this final step out.
Please help fellow Kronosers!!!

Thanks in advance,
~Goose.

Check out all my Kronos tracks at: http://soundcloud.com/goose-khalsa/sets
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to setup Kronos in Garageband? Reply with quote

[quote="GooseK87"]Hi all, I apologize for this overly simplistic question, but I have been having difficulty setting up my Kronos within Garageband so that I can record it through MIDI. So I was hoping that someone smarter than me out here wouldn't mind laying out a clear step by step of how to safely setup the Kronos to record on a MIDI track in Garageband:
My Kronos is connected to my Mac by USB, and shows up as "Korg Kronos" in the Software Instrument section, under Sound Generator.
The problem is: while I am able to select the Kronos for this MIDI track, no sound is registering within Garageband...
I'm really excited about recording the Kronos directly into MIDI with Garageband, but I just cannot figure this final step out.

Did you install the korg USB driver? Activate that/

Can you hear any Kronos audio thru the Mac?
GooseK87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ksynth:
Yes, I have the up to date driver, as well as the editor, and yes I can hear Kronos audio through the Mac, only it's not registering any sound in the Garageband MIDI track I assigned it to...very frustrating.

Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to setup Kronos in Garageband? Reply with quote

GooseK87 wrote:
Hi all, I apologize for this overly simplistic question, but I have been having difficulty setting up my Kronos within Garageband so that I can record it through MIDI. So I was hoping that someone smarter than me out here wouldn't mind laying out a clear step by step of how to safely setup the Kronos to record on a MIDI track in Garageband:

Thanks in advance,
~Goose.

As Ksynth mentioned, you need to install the Korg USB MIDI driver for the Kronos so it can recognize the Kronos as a MIDI device. KEEP IN MIND, however; that you are then using GarageBand's virtual instrument voices and you've basically demoted your Kronos to the job of mere mortal MIDI controller - as none of Korg's voices will be present in your GarageBand recordings.

If you want to record the keyboard's voice as an ACTUAL instrument (versus GB's Software Instrument), you need to either connect it to the Line In jack on your Mac, or purchase an audio interface which can bring in audio in bulk to your machine. These interfaces have a MIDI driver as well, but it's to give your machine an actual MIDI port to control other MIDI-compliant devices.

Either option works, depending on what you want to accomplish.
GooseK87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,
So let me just ask this basic question then: is it not possible to record the Kronos' sounds directly onto a Garageband MIDI track? Or is the only way to record the Kronos' sounds onto a Garageband Audio track?
The reason I'm asking is because I do have an audio interface which I have used to record the Kronos into Garageband before, on audio tracks, but was hoping I could record directly onto a MIDI track to get a cleaner recording.
Hope this makes sense.

Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GooseK87 wrote:
Thanks for the replies,
So let me just ask this basic question then: is it not possible to record the Kronos' sounds directly onto a Garageband MIDI track? Or is the only way to record the Kronos' sounds onto a Garageband Audio track?
The reason I'm asking is because I do have an audio interface which I have used to record the Kronos into Garageband before, on audio tracks, but was hoping I could record directly onto a MIDI track to get a cleaner recording.
Hope this makes sense.

Recording onto a midi track will only record midi data. NOT audio.

If you record both audio and midi at the same time (different types of tracks) then you can happily edit the midi data and then re-record the audio later (or parts of it). Send the midi track back to the Korg and record the audio.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GooseK87 wrote:
Thanks for the replies,
Hope this makes sense.

GarageBand will record MIDI data coming into the Mac from the Kronos, BUT it will NOT send MIDI data FROM that track back out to the Kronos. This is a limitation in GarageBand. MIDI tracks can ONLY play internal GarageBand sounds on the Mac. But, the app came free on your Mac. Smile

If you want Kronos sounds in your GarageBand song, you will need to record each Kronos track as AUDIO, not MIDI.
GooseK87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks Dan the man, that's what I feared was the case, I just hoped there might be some magic MIDI solution--would love to record these Kronos sounds as purely and as cleanly as they deserve.

Thanks all!
~Goose.

rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing this AU plug:

http://download.cnet.com/midiO/3000-2170_4-49258.html

I tried it years ago when GarageBand first came out, and it worked like a charm. The README file explains how and where to manually install the component, it's pretty easy
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try Reaper instead of garageband http://www.reaper.fm/

It is free to try out and very cheap to buy for personal use.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrricky rrrecordo wrote:
Try installing this AU plug:

http://download.cnet.com/midiO/3000-2170_4-49258.html

I tried it years ago when GarageBand first came out, and it worked like a charm. The README file explains how and where to manually install the component, it's pretty easy

Thanks for the link, R.R.! I didn't know such an AU existed. I will try that out this afternoon!
GooseK87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the phone!
Rrricky Rrrecordo: are you telling me that with this AU plug-in, it's possible to record the Kronos sounds onto a Garageband MIDI track????
Because if this is the case, I would indeed be a happy Goose...

rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just record the MIDI data from your performance on your KRONOS into GB as you would into any DAW, and midiO will send the data back to your KRONOS and replicate your performance. This data is useful for editing details of your performance if needed. However, it's also simple to record direct audio from your Kronos into GB. Whatever works for you is the way to go!
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
GooseK87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure I quite understand this last bit:
With this midiO plug-in, will I be able to record my Kronos' sounds onto a Garageband MIDI track, and actually be able to hear the Kronos' sounds in Garageband itself?
Sorry for my slowness, lol.

rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI does not record sound at all. It only records your physical gestures - key on, key off, pedal down/up, mod wheel etc. When the track is played back in GarageBand, it sends this gesture information (OUT of your Mac) to your Kronos' MIDI input and "performs" the piece EXTERNALLY on your Kronos just as though you were playing it.

Think of an old fashioned player piano - the kind that used holes punched into a roll of paper to allow the piano to "play itself". You can't "listen" to the piano roll, but you can see the holes which tell the piano what notes to play, and when. Well, MIDI is like a roll of digital punch holes in a digital paper roll.

Try this and you will see the difference between audio and MIDI tracks: First, pull any blue loop from GB's loop browser into a track, then pull any green loop into another track.

Blue loops are AUDIO loops i.e. they contain audio recordings of REAL instruments done with mics, pickups etc. Green loops are MIDI loops and only contain information on which notes to play on SOFTWARE instruments i.e. GB's plug-in instruments.

Next, open the GB editor (the little scissors icon at bottom left), then click on a blue loop and have a look at it in the editor window at the bottom of the screen. Here you will see a visual representation of the actual audio waveform of the recording. Now, click on a green loop and you will see something very much like the piano roll mentioned earlier... a grid with little grey boxes or lines (holes).

If you want to record real audio into any DAW, including GarageBand, you need to have a way to send the audio out of your Kronos into the DAW. There are many different audio interfaces available that will get your Kronos' audio signal in to GarageBand.

So, if you want to record audio and play it back IN GarageBand, forget about MIDI for now and look into audio interfaces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: