Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok....AL-1 help me out....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Ok....AL-1 help me out.... Reply with quote

So with that cool new AL-1 editor that got released to the community, I thought I'd play with a graphical approach to programming AL-1.

For background I've been playing/programming synths for 25+ years, I've DIY'd circuits, I have degrees in computers, I've worked in local studios and am a fairly competent audio engineer. This is not meant to impress anyone, just an attempt to show I have a clue.

So I'm playing with the editor, and even managed the sub OSC to act as a 3rd osc in the same octave and got the waveshape to feel pretty saw like. So at this point I've got 3 OSC per voice going. Got the envelope with a punchy attack, and a solid release. A little slight detuning, (But not where it sounds like phasing) and I don't know it just sounds.......BORING!

Surely this is my fault, cause I've heard some other sounds that were pretty cool. My thing is this though: It seems like unless I use a supersaw or detuned multisaw type thing, I can't get that lush, fat power synth (Think Jump for instance) that used to be so easy on previous synths with just a regular saw waveform. In the past I could get this BEFORE slathering the sound in chorus and reverb. I played with the filter and resonance settings which improved it, but nowhere near where I'd expect to be for the effort involved.

What am I missing? Currently it sounds like an electronics project.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this thread for some ideas Arrow

AL-1 Programming
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to set your oscillator Initial Phase to "random", otherwise it will sound uncomfortably digital, and a bit... well... boring ; )

You can also fatten up the sound by modulating the pitch of one oscillator with the Pitch EG to give a small but distinct upward swoop.

Adding a sub osc doesn't really help with the fatness of the sound as it's phase locked and can't be detuned (oh, for a genuine 3rd oscillator), it will just sound "deeper".

I've created many patches just using two oscillators, that sound ridiculously OTT, without resorting to Double/Detuned Saw waves - PWM helps too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: