Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ringo Starr uses KRONOS!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:
So the least talented Beatle owns one. Big deal.

It's a much bigger deal than your owning one or Rudess's owning one.

Pissing matches on the internet are fun! Though he could use more soul, Rudess has more talent and ability in one hand than Ringo has in his entire body. Therefore I beg to differ. Besides, (barring family) aren't most of the people that still even CARE who Ringo is dead? Smile
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Besides, (barring family) aren't most of the people that still even CARE who Ringo is dead? Smile

There are a few of us left. Smile

Always loved the drums on this one. The origins of Punk. Play LOUD!

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
agoldstraw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringo's shows look far more entertaining than the sad spectacle Macca offers these days (cf Olympics opening ceremony, Diamond Jubilee concert).

Ironic that of the surviving Beatles, Ringo now possesses the better voice.
Ernie Applelips

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yet another person has come out with the "Ringo was rubbish", "Ringo was the least talented member of the Beatles" myth.

A couple of points for you to consider if you want to break away from the herd for a moments....

When the Beatles were getting ready to record their first album and needed to replace their drummer Pete Best, with somebody better, they poached the man who at the time was considered the best drummer in Liverpool.

Apparently whenever any take went wrong during recording sessions, it was extremely rare that it was caused by a mistake from Ringo.

As for who was the best musician in the Beatles (ie best on their instrument), well it certainly wasn't John Lennon or George Harrison. You could argue that maybe it was Paul, but his skill on the playing side was that he was a multi-instrumentalist. Ringo was probably the best at his chosen instrument.

People have poked fun at Ringo over the years, but for what? Because he wasn't a song writer or a singer? That's not really fair, because he never claimed to be either of those things. He was a damn good and very reliable drummer. I bet you wouldn't mind having someone as good as him in your band. That's how he manages to attract top musicians to his band, he is very well respected.
Korg Kronos 88 (soon to be replacing a.... ) Yamaha CP33. Korg Trinity Pro (dodgy disk drive). Octave Cat (bought in 1979). Hohner Melodica with a contact mic glued to it (very noisy). Omnisphere (love to be able to use this live). http://www.aonemicstand.co.uk
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really get either side of the argument. Whether he was a skilled musician/drummer or not is like discussing whether the truck that hit you was red or blue. The Beatles had an impact on pop and rock music that is almost impossible to overstate. Ringo comes with the package. Discussing whether he is a good or a bad drummer has almost zero relevance to why he gets credit nowadays.

This is also, just for clarification, entirely separate from whether or not one likes the Beatles.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Lennon was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, he replied that "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

I am one of the biggest Beatles fans out there, and while I agree that Ringo is not the greatest drummer in the world, I have to give him lots of points for originality and creativity.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Ernie Applelips

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Lennon quote was a joke, you do realise that don't you?

Ringo's very unique style can mostly be attributed to him being a left handed drummer playing on a right handed kit. That's one of the main reasons that most drummers cannot accurately reproduce his playing when covering Beatles songs.
Korg Kronos 88 (soon to be replacing a.... ) Yamaha CP33. Korg Trinity Pro (dodgy disk drive). Octave Cat (bought in 1979). Hohner Melodica with a contact mic glued to it (very noisy). Omnisphere (love to be able to use this live). http://www.aonemicstand.co.uk
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this topic was about the fact that Ringo has/uses a Kronos. When did it turn into whether he was a good or bad drummer?

Like it or not, he's a part of history for his role in the Beatles. He may not have been as good a drummer as John Bonham, but he wasn't bad. I'd be honored to jam with him. But then again, as much as there's not much of a chance of that happening, there's also no chance that any of our opinions of him matter. He certainly was important enough to point out that he has/uses a Kronos though.
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
So the least talented Beatle owns one. Big deal.

To each his own but the other three Beatles absolutely stood by their stance that Ringo was the ONLY possible real fit for them. I have talked to many drummers about Ringo and MANY of them have stated that Ringo Starr is one of rock's most underrated drummers. They stated that his unorthodox style and his restraint actually made him a great drummer. Was he as great a composer as John, Paul, and George? No and Ringo I wager would be the first to admit it though he did write a few classics. But let's be fair, there are few composers in rock or indeed popular music in general that can touch The Beatles.

Lastly, it isn't a bad thing at all to have a former Beatle talk positively about a product. It didn't hurt Kurzweil at all when another legend - Pete Townshend - GUSHED about the K2000.
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he will lose any sleep over negative comments.

Many drummers acknowledge Starr as an influence, including Steve Gorman of the Black Crowes, Dave Grohl of Nirvana, Jen Ledger of Skillet, Max Weinberg of the E Street Band, Danny Carey of Tool, Liberty DeVitto of Billy Joel's band, Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden, Eric Carr of Kiss, Phil Rudd of AC/DC, Orri Páll Dýrason of Sigur Rós, original/former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy, Pedro Andreu of Heroes del Silencio and others.

Wink
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Applelips wrote:
That Lennon quote was a joke, you do realise that don't you?

Yes, that was just John being John. If he really believed that then he would have never picked Ringo to be the drummer on the first Plastic Ono band album. He had his pick of some of the best drummers in the world to choose from and he still picked Ringo.

Anyway, great to see Kronos in his studio. I liked the little guitar riff he was doing with KARMA. Glad to see he still has his sense of humor. The band is not half bad too! Lot's of top notch players. Yeah, would rather go to see them then Paul at this point. Cool

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's put this another way: The DRUMMER owns a Kronos. We care because? He was part of rock history, given. Not the best example obviously, but would you all be impressed if Ozzy Osborne had a Kronos? It's about as relevant in my opinion.

And let's be real, Ringo's not attracting great musicians because he's so awesome, it's because he can bankroll it. No PRO I've ever met does the gig simply because they think the leader is "so great". It's for the PAY. If they happen to enjoy playing with them, it's a bonus.
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i post this topic to show that ringo starr uses kronos, but not to argue about him for God sake...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video reference never was about anything like "relevance".

It was about a great, friendly soul and member of one of the most creative bands ever, having fun with something we happen to like and showing some humor and self-irony. It should raise a smile, not cause heated discussions.

Sighh ...
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
This video reference never was about anything like "relevance".

It was about a great, friendly soul and member of one of the most creative bands ever, having fun with something we happen to like and showing some humor and self-irony. It should raise a smile, not cause heated discussions.

Sighh ...

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: