Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendations for USB backup devices for Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jduesenb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for USB backup devices for Kronos? Reply with quote

Being conscientious (i.e. paranoid) I try to back up my attempts at creating Kronos programs. Usually I just do a simple "Save All," with the data being saved either to a USB flash drive or an Iomega USB hard drive.

The "Save" operations always appear to successful (which means no errors reported, and the correct set of files seem to be written to the target device.)

However, when loading save banks or programs back into Kronos from the Iomega hard drive, I frequently run into "File Not Available" errors. When this happens, the Iomega drive appears to go offline (i.e. it no longer appears in the Kronos menu of internal/external disks. I **never** see such errors when doing the same thing from the USB Flash drive.

Could be just a faulty USB hard drive. But, the Kronos media check doesn't report any errors on this drive.

I'm curious as to whether the above is a common errors, and also as to what USB devices other people are using and/or recommending for Kronos backup. I don't necc. need need a 1 terabyte hard drive for this purpose.

I'd also like to get recommendations for a reliable DVD R/W drive for backing up data and/or using the Korg recovery disks, which I hope I never have to do.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most external hard disks have a sleep mode that kicks in after a certain amount of time there has been no disk access, so maybe the KRONOS doesn't like the time it is taking for your drive to spin up after being asleep.

As for backup, I store a copy of my KRONOS on the exact same drive I backup my PC to. Since OS 2.0 I simply FTP into the KRONOS with my PC I dump a copy of the KRONOS Solid State Drive to my External Hard Disk over FTP.

Having two Solid State Drives in my KRONOS is also a great comfort for me. I have some files that are extremely critical to me, so while I save them as normal to my second solid state by default, I do have a backup folder on the factory drive where I dump a copy of files that are most precious to me.

Regards
Sharp.
jduesenb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem occur immediately after booting up the Kronos and the USB drive, so I'm not sure that the drive being in sleep mode would be the problem.

I'd like to pursue using FTP - how exactly do you do that? (I'm using Mac OSX 10.7 and Kronos 1.6 system, but ftp is available thru the Mac "terminal" utility.) Do I need Kronos system 2.x to do this?

boy... and I thought I was buying a nice friendly "music workstation" with a sophisticated UI... but I'm STILL having to hack around with low-level Unix-style CLI commands like ftp...??? <<shrug>>

Sharp wrote:
Most external hard disks have a sleep mode that kicks in after a certain amount of time there has been no disk access, so maybe the KRONOS doesn't like the time it is taking for your drive to spin up after being asleep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: