Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos should have all the classic Korg sounds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddyDeegan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos should have all the classic Korg sounds Reply with quote

KorgisKing wrote:
I know a few keyboard players that would buy the kronos if it had all those classic sounds in it

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous sentence I've ever seen on this forum Face palm
Scatter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Any chance of updating the forum rules to ban text-speak (retroactively applied)? Cool
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korgisking-The Kronos covers a lot of bases. but first and foremost it is a synthesizer. which means you can create the sounds with knowledge and the tools that the Kronos offers. it would be nice to punch a button and get any sound you want pre programmed by somebody else. but there would never be enough buttons for everyone. study the art of synthesis and then give it a go. if you know nothing about synthesis you've got a lot of work ahead of you.
KorgisKing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank u all 4 ur comments some of u made good points. I shall delve a little deeper into my Kronos b4 jumping the gun about it thanks guys Cool

Controllers:Roland Ax-1
Ernie Applelips

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KorgisKing wrote:
Such as the DW8000 & Poly800 Cool

I had a Poly800. I can't think of any sound that it made that I'd ever want to hear again.
Maybe if I was a better programmer I could have got something more out of it, but I don't think it would have been anything that compared with the synths that Korgs have made since.
Korg Kronos 88 (soon to be replacing a.... ) Yamaha CP33. Korg Trinity Pro (dodgy disk drive). Octave Cat (bought in 1979). Hohner Melodica with a contact mic glued to it (very noisy). Omnisphere (love to be able to use this live). http://www.aonemicstand.co.uk

Last edited by Ernie Applelips on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos should have all the classic Korg sounds Reply with quote

zengomi wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
Kronos has:

- Waveshaping precisely as found on the O1W series

Would you elaborate on that?

I'm perhaps a little misleading on this point - though perhaps not - I'll have to experiment (or perhaps Dan - could you clarify):

Waveshaping as found on the O1W series is a feature of the MOD-7 synth engine. Here, you can use Waveshape tables - as derived precisely from the O1W (and perhaps with even more tables available on Kronos) - to Waveshape an input PCM oscillators whose input/content derives from the HD-1 onboard ROM (or indeed any input sample). Hence - I believe - but need Dan to confirm (and I'll try to confirm soon by looking at MOD-7) you can use MOD-7 not as an FM synthesizer per-say, but as a HD-1 synth engine but with waveshaping in the signal path.

Look in the Parameter Guise in the MOD-7 section under "Waveshaping and PCM.

I'm convinced that this is the case - but it will need a particular algorithm where FM is not occurring and you use MOD-7 in a minimal way where the PCM input is essential passed straight through to the filter section without FM going on but with Waveshaping applied to one of the VPM oscillators; turning MOD-7 effectively into an O1W!

Of course if can go further because you can indeed use that PCM input (or the Waveshaped PCM input) as a modulator to another VPM oscillator in any algorithm - and this is an awesome feature very like Yamaha's Realtime Convolution and Modulation (RCM) as found in the SY77/SY99 and TG77. It brings an entirely new dimension to FM, and I use it extensively, still, in my SY77 and 99s throughout my compositions. This feature of OASYS/KRONOS is perhaps the least explored of all the synth engines, but has extraordinary potential (but is very time consuming to program).

But what I'll try to confirm is that you can pass a PCM source through MOD-7 withough FM going on per-say, and with one VPM acting as a Waveshaper in the O1W sense - effectively turning Kronos into a 'super O1W'.

Dan - could you confirm this?

If the case, it would be worth us putting together one simple MOD-7 program for free download that provides this particular 'O1W' case for everybody to use as a programming 'starting point'. I use OASYS, not Kronos (yet - I'll have a Kronos in early 2013 hopefully) but if I manage to create such a program I'll forward it to someone with both an OASYS and a Kronos and they can convert it to Kronos format.

Kevin.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos should have all the classic Korg sounds Reply with quote

EddyDeegan wrote:
KorgisKing wrote:
I know a few keyboard players that would buy the kronos if it had all those classic sounds in it

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous sentence I've ever seen on this forum Face palm

Most of his posts are usually funny...
zengomi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos should have all the classic Korg sounds Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
zengomi wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
Kronos has:

- Waveshaping precisely as found on the O1W series

Would you elaborate on that?

I'm perhaps a little misleading on this point - though perhaps not - I'll have to experiment (or perhaps Dan - could you clarify):

Waveshaping as found on the O1W series is a feature of the MOD-7 synth engine. Here, you can use Waveshape tables - as derived precisely from the O1W (and perhaps with even more tables available on Kronos) - to Waveshape an input PCM oscillators whose input/content derives from the HD-1 onboard ROM (or indeed any input sample). Hence - I believe - but need Dan to confirm (and I'll try to confirm soon by looking at MOD-7) you can use MOD-7 not as an FM synthesizer per-say, but as a HD-1 synth engine but with waveshaping in the signal path.

Look in the Parameter Guise in the MOD-7 section under "Waveshaping and PCM.

I'm convinced that this is the case - but it will need a particular algorithm where FM is not occurring and you use MOD-7 in a minimal way where the PCM input is essential passed straight through to the filter section without FM going on but with Waveshaping applied to one of the VPM oscillators; turning MOD-7 effectively into an O1W!

Of course if can go further because you can indeed use that PCM input (or the Waveshaped PCM input) as a modulator to another VPM oscillator in any algorithm - and this is an awesome feature very like Yamaha's Realtime Convolution and Modulation (RCM) as found in the SY77/SY99 and TG77. It brings an entirely new dimension to FM, and I use it extensively, still, in my SY77 and 99s throughout my compositions. This feature of OASYS/KRONOS is perhaps the least explored of all the synth engines, but has extraordinary potential (but is very time consuming to program).

But what I'll try to confirm is that you can pass a PCM source through MOD-7 withough FM going on per-say, and with one VPM acting as a Waveshaper in the O1W sense - effectively turning Kronos into a 'super O1W'.

Dan - could you confirm this?

If the case, it would be worth us putting together one simple MOD-7 program for free download that provides this particular 'O1W' case for everybody to use as a programming 'starting point'. I use OASYS, not Kronos (yet - I'll have a Kronos in early 2013 hopefully) but if I manage to create such a program I'll forward it to someone with both an OASYS and a Kronos and they can convert it to Kronos format.

Kevin.

Thanks for your very elaborate reply, Kevin! Love your idea of a 'starting point' program.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos should have all the classic Korg sounds Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

I'm definitely excited about the possibilities, Kevin. And would be more than happy to convert it to Kronos format.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: