Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Korg Krome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree +1. Even my Casio WK-3300 300$ cheappy have drawbar emulation. Is sad the Krome did not.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can program a kind of organ emulation in combi mode. You actually get some pretty decent organ sounds like that.

A multi-engine method like that used on the Kronos actually requires a lot of work and system resources which probably aren't available on this hardware. But other synths that do offer it probably use a user-interface abstraction method to play a number of normal PCM sample voices relating to each drawbar, so same engine but different subset of UI parameters and some assumptions about voice handling.

You just need to create a one-tone program first to build your drawbars with, then put nine of them in a combi (less if you only want for example an 888000000 registration)
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
guillex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
You can program a kind of organ emulation in combi mode. You actually get some pretty decent organ sounds like that.

A multi-engine method like that used on the Kronos actually requires a lot of work and system resources which probably aren't available on this hardware. But other synths that do offer it probably use a user-interface abstraction method to play a number of normal PCM sample voices relating to each drawbar, so same engine but different subset of UI parameters and some assumptions about voice handling.

You just need to create a one-tone program first to build your drawbars with, then put nine of them in a combi (less if you only want for example an 888000000 registration)

Mhhh is not the same. A hammond organ is much more complex than a combi with some prgms, and fx. I use organimation, which is pretty close to a hammond organ, but I think that Krome don't accept samples...
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

Tried it once. Believe me, not closely the same thing. I even bought a combi based hammond emulator for the M50, and sincerely, didn't used it much. I ended up using the closest organs I could find inside the M50 patches for my needs.

I don't really think it would have been really hard to implement. As guille said, even the PA keyboards have it.

Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that this is likely how other synths do it.. You just need the right samples and FX!

The user interface of 'organ mode' in other synths is likely just an abstraction of a limited subset of the normal parameters.

I got some really good organs on the triton series this way.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
My point was that this is likely how other synths do it.. You just need the right samples and FX!

The user interface of 'organ mode' in other synths is likely just an abstraction of a limited subset of the normal parameters.

I got some really good organs on the triton series this way.

Ok, Brad. I promise I'll give it a shot with the Krome the moment it arrives. Very Happy

hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a Korg user but the $450.00 CasioXW-P1 will not disappoint as far as organ sounds.. Just saying..
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammondcuni wrote:
Im a Korg user but the $450.00 CasioXW-P1 will not disappoint as far as organ sounds.. Just saying..

I find that keyboard to be very interesting as well, however hardly anyone is posting useful youtubes so I can make up my mind one way or the other. I am interested in seeing more on the sequencing mode given my love for sequencing.
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uniformedservices1969 wrote:
hammondcuni wrote:

Ummm...why are you even making a comparison between the Korg and the Casio,in terms of organ sounds??
I mean...the XW-P1 is only $500,the display is garbage,no comprehensive sequencing,the only decent sounds are the organs and only a portion of the synth sounds,the D/A converter is garbage,the key-bed is garbage and it's entirely comprised of plastic.
Ok...so Casio put a significant portion of their production budget into the organs,but cut corners pretty much everywhere else in that keyboard...so how is this relevant to the Krome??

Just saying....

Welcome to the forum, uniformedservices1969. I think he meant that even a cheap Casio can come up with a drawbar emulation, and why the Krome doesn't? I also consider it would have been an awesome addition, and will have kept me from doing a lot of combi programming to have decent organs. I also have a cheap Casio, a WK-3300, and I do like the organs. In fact, I'm keeping it just because of that. I usually have a 3 keybed setup, since I don't like changing sounds mid song much. The Casio will handle the organs and mellotrons.

Another question, with no disrespect, but what is it about the boldface bigger font game on the forum? Is a bit annoying, don't you think? In fact, I'm so used to the standard font size, that some of your earlier posts where a bit harder to read. Just keep it simple, please.

Cheers Wink

uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stargazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Krome would have drawbars and VA and all other things, it would be called Kronos. The point with Krome is that it will not get into territory of Kronos, therefore it can not have all these things. Out of different engines they opted to include one, and the choice was Piano. Perhaps anything else, VA, or drawbar organ, would jeopardize the sale of Kronos. After all, it's just a marketing thing, and don't forget: Krome is a middle class synthesizer, not a flagship of the line.
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are currently no plans for Karma software for the Krome according to Mr. Kay over at Karma Labs. \
I think the MOx is going to be the next karma project if not mistaken.
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: